PDA

View Full Version : Spring 2011 Reel

codyburke610
04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in a while! I've been really busy with the Block 4 project at DAVE and some freelance, but I really wanted to show my Spring 2011 reel. Things that have changed since the previous winter reel are a few new models and texturing work, and also new renders of older models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaSOyTKotas&feature=feedlik

Thanks guys

-Cody-

nickdigital
04-16-2011, 12:16 PM
The hard surface modeling was nice. Are there any plans to texture them?

codyburke610
04-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks Ernest, and yes, once I find time, ha. I plan to texture everything and do a lot more detailed models once I graduate.

We recently had a modeler from Dreamworks come to DAVE to critique my reel as well as 3 other students. In no random order he chose the others first and RIPPED them apart, he was disappointed with the work that he actually did not even watch mine.

It wasn't a constructive critique at all, but he did open up everyone's eyes and basically say that we need to step up our game if we want to work at a high end studio.

He also said that if we want to be modelers, then the only thing on our reel should be models. Wires, then flat shade. I like seeing them textured though, but I see what he is saying.

-Cody-

borkus
04-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Sorry to hear of your experience Cody. That certainly is not a professional attitude, but unfortunately you will come across that in life. I can't speak for the 3d industry in that I'm not in it, but I have seen it in many facets of business regardless. The best thing that you can do is develop a thick skin to it. It also paints a picture of the environment that you would be working under if you were to get hired there. It doesn't sound like a place I would want to work for... But your reel is looking very good. My only real critique would be on the characters. That is in my opinion your weakest portion. They're not awful by any means, some further research into anatomy would greatly push them to a higher level. Perhaps you could omit that portion for now until you have built up that aspect. Your hard modelling skills are outstanding right now! That ship is definitely the best, and the robot at the end is a close second so you did well in placing them. Those are the two images that stuck in my head after closing the video, and that is exactly what you want to happen with recruiters. So, congratulations Cody. You've done a lot of hard work to get where you are and have a fine demo reel as the proof. Keep plugging away at it. Don't let the ranting of an a-hole put you off. Like I said, the world is filled with them.