PDA

View Full Version : Creating and beveling objects from Beziers

sdilling
04-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I am having quite a lot of trouble doing this and I don't think it should be terribly difficult.

What I am trying to do is create a polygon that is essentially shaped like a crescent moon from 2 Bezier curves. Then I want to extrude that shape out to a little thickness, not mucch. What I end up with is a slightly thicked object shaped like a crescent moon. Getting to this point is no problem.

The problem is placing a bevel along the edge of the object. I have tried both bevel and edge bevel and the results are the same. The outer side of the crescent bevels just fine, but the inner edge will only bevel in one direction which happens to be the wrong direction. It kind of creates a flange rather than a bevel.

So, I need to know how I can overcome this and get a good bevel around the entire object.

Thanks.

JeffrySG
04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
You can do it a few ways. The way I like to do it if you have it extruded already is to select all of the polys on the outer edges and use multi-shift to extend out the polys slightly. Then I select the front poly and move it forward a little bit creating a bevel. This results in a clean result.

You can also try using bevel on the front poly but you will get a lot of overlap in the case of a crescent. You can manually clean it up which should not take too long. There are also a few bevel plugins that will do cleaner bevel operations. http://www.lwplugindb.com/

Look at this file for examples.
1st - basic crecent
2nd - beveled with errors
3rd - beveled cleaned up
4th - using multi-shift on sides instead of bevel

The only thing to be aware of is when you use multishift on the sides the object will get slightly larger rather than having the front poly get smaller. But this is what keeps the object clean and error free (usually).

:) Hope this helps.
Jeff

hrgiger
04-15-2011, 09:39 PM
LWCAD can do this very effectively and quickly.

2 uses of the arc tool and you have your crescent shape.
Convert those lines to a polygon.
Extrude.
Use Mass round.

The only thing that you need to clean up are the two ends of the crescent. I just deleted the 2 end polygons mass round created. Average weld the hole together then just pull the ends out.

LWCAD has many uses for everyday modeling tasks, not just for archviz.

I'm rendering out a video showing the process. Upload it in a little bit.

hrgiger
04-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Here is a video creating the shape in LWCAD. Video is just over 2 minutes so you can see how quickly it can be done. Quicktime video.

JeffrySG
04-15-2011, 10:35 PM
LWCAD is great but it probably only took me a min or 2 without it too. :) The right tools for the right job - and so many ways to do it in LW!

two circles - unigon plugin to create crescent - extrude - multishift - move front poly

sdilling
04-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Wow, that's all great feedback. I will try it all and post the results. Thanks a bunch.

jeric_synergy
04-19-2011, 12:11 AM
?? Seems very much like one where you beveled the front & back rather than the curved parts.

erikals
04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
jep... \:]