PDA

View Full Version : My Hobby

Iain
04-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #116 My Hobby
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This weeks topic is:

My hobby.

This could be something you use in your own hobby or from a popular pastime enjoyed by others.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.
Deadline - Wednesday 20th of April 2011, 2200 GMT.
(Can be extended to Friday if required.)

chco2
04-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Lol :)
This could be fun :D

BigHache
04-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Sweet. I'm carving out time this weekend.

COBRASoft
04-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Thx for posting a challenge Iain! Nice topic btw.

Iain
04-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Hope to see some interesting stuff folks :thumbsup:

Sorry about the title!

XswampyX
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Freedom....

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/GrassWired.jpg

It's a work in progress.... :)

a sandwhich
04-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Something I use quite a bit, use it to launch vim, or compile what I just wrote in vim, or navigate around the drives, or do anything and everything, hey.. its a linux terminal, what do you expect! Modeling 15 minutes.

Wittywop
04-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Looks awesome XswampyX. I would love to sit next to you for a day and just see how you do that. :)

Dracorat
04-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm newish to Lightwave, so I'm still struggling a lot. Still, here's what I could produce in an hour. (The number gave me fits so I didn't have time for other numbers)

XswampyX
04-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Nice wireframe Dracorat. :thumbsup:

Render.

COBRASoft
04-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Welcome Dracorat!

Don't give up, perhaps try the dice again, I'm sure you've learned a lot from your first try-out :). You'll be able to put some more numbers on it in the same time, perhaps even all of them.

COBRASoft
04-16-2011, 05:56 PM
XswampyX: Tutorial please!

Dracorat
04-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Welcome Dracorat!

Don't give up, perhaps try the dice again, I'm sure you've learned a lot from your first try-out :). You'll be able to put some more numbers on it in the same time, perhaps even all of them.

Actually it was my third time haha. The difficulty I am having is that I cant seem to get a number on there in a way where I can edge bevel. I have to smooth shift and then move the points by hand, but faces of the D8 aren't aligned to any axis so the only way I've found to do it is through the perspective view.

I'm open to suggestions!

And thanks for the support!

Dracorat
04-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Nice wireframe Dracorat. :thumbsup:

Render.

Your render is Vue-worthy. Well done.

MDSPECIFIC
04-17-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm open to suggestions!

Try something like this. :thumbsup:

Dracorat
04-17-2011, 11:54 AM
I did. I guess the difficulty is this. Between the first image and the second image, you placed the 8 aligned with a face. I struggled with that. How do I get it aligned to a face at an arbitrary angle?

Thanks!

Edit: Well that one would have been easier since it's a rotate on an angle already aligned. But let's say I was trying to get a number on the face that's down one and right one - that's the difficulty.

Edit again. Never mind! When I rotate the die, it makes it easier. OK, time to try again!

ArtGoblin
04-17-2011, 01:23 PM
What can I say... it's one of my favurate things to do :)
Modeling time: roughly 20-25 minutes

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4853/beercanswireframecomped.jpg

Dracorat
04-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Shouldn't those be opened? Haha. Good work. =)

Dracorat
04-17-2011, 04:00 PM
OK, here's my effort 2. About 45 mins. I wouldn't have time to try to round the edges of the inset numbers, but all the numbers are there. I modeled the texture on this one after my pewter set of dice.

The third image is a bunch scattered through HardFx though I couldn't figure out how to make it rest the dice on a face - it treats them more like they're spheres (even with collision set to "node") But it's good enough for now. I spent 2 hours on HardFx and am willing to just call it good. =)

ArtGoblin
04-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Here's some textures on em beer cans... and yes they should preferably be open... but it's also nice to imagine that I always have a lot of beer left :)

Nice renders Dracorat... wish I could help with the HardFX, but It's been so long since I used HardFX that I've forgotten how most of it works hehe

The beauty render:
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5051/beercansbeautycomped.jpg

BigHache
04-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Great entries so far. Here are my practice gloves.

COBRASoft
04-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Heya,

Here is an old mind game I love to play whenever I have spare time. I even have it on my smartphone :).

Modeling about 15 minutes (thx LWCad), rendering too long as usual...

Greetings,
Sigurd

Dracorat
04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Guys, Gals: Question...

Is my render ... dark? I'm on my computer at work now looking at my render and it looks dark. I don't know if that's my work computer or if my home computer might be over-bright. At home, it's a bright render with a lot of color. Here it's almost gray-toned and brown. And dark.

jrandom
04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Guys, Gals: Question...

Is my render ... dark? I'm on my computer at work now looking at my render and it looks dark. I don't know if that's my work computer or if my home computer might be over-bright. At home, it's a bright render with a lot of color. Here it's almost gray-toned and brown. And dark.

It looked a little dark on my home computer which I've calibrated with a Spyder3.

Dracorat
04-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Ok, thanks! I will have to consider this. I have to turn up the brightness due to the video games that I play. (People sitting in dark corners ... I must see them!)

I might have to set up my daughter's computer as a render target and calibrate her computer. =)

Edit: I brightened the image with Photoshop. It's definitely a brightness problem. Attached is the newly brightened one, which looks almost exactly identical to what I see with the original from my home computer.

MDSPECIFIC
04-18-2011, 02:01 PM
I like fishing!
Modeling 45min (all subpatched), texturing/lightning 1 hour.

Nice entries! :thumbsup:

I brightened the image with Photoshop. It's definitely a brightness problem. Attached is the newly brightened one, which looks almost exactly identical to what I see with the original from my home computer.

Last one is the best. Type "calibration images" in Google/Images, and fix your monitor. :)

Dracorat
04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
I really like the bobbers. Good work!

jrandom
04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Last one is the best. Type "calibration images" in Google/Images, and fix your monitor. :)

Better yet (if you can afford it), get a calibration device like the Spyder (and related products). I'm pretty good at calibrating monitors by hand, but using a calibration device gets you perfect white balance, contrast, and brightness. I don't think I could ever go back to tweaking monitors by hand.

Dracorat
04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Perhaps eventually I will. Maybe next year's tax return (this year's is helping me take a nice vacation this summer!).

For now though, what I could do is get a second monitor and calibrate it by hand and send render to it. I can't really darken my main monitor (actually, it's a 42 inch HDTV) because I need it brighter for the purposes of my video games. (Sad but true, I know.)

Side monitor for renders though? Doable. =)

XswampyX
04-18-2011, 03:20 PM
More sports equipment.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Darts1aWired.jpg

I look forward to a game every Friday night, Hic! :)

chco2
04-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Ahh.. good old times :)

XswampyX
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Indeed.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Darts1a.jpg

Dracorat
04-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Good texturing work!

XswampyX
04-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks Dracorat. :)

I seem to have amassed quite a collection of surfaces from doing these speed challenges. I always try to make all new surfaces from scratch, just for fun.

Glad you liked it.

Cheers!

BigHache
04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Nice work XswampyX! The foil on the tails look great.

COBRASoft
04-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Heya, I want to bump this thread.

It still needs judgement and the winner of last week has to start a new challenge for this week. If not started tomorrow, I'll try to come up with something if that's ok?

Iain
04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I just got home from holiday so I'll judge this tomorrow.

Great response from all!

COBRASoft
04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
sorry Iain, didn't want to pressure you specific. I'm glad you jumped in to start the challenge :).

There are some nice models this week, happy judging!

MDSPECIFIC
04-21-2011, 06:54 PM
The Saga continues. :)

Speed Modeling Challenge #117 Happy Easter (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118806)

Iain
04-22-2011, 02:10 AM
The Saga continues. :)

Speed Modeling Challenge #117 Happy Easter (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118806)

Good man!

OK as I said some great entries this week.

I loved the grass from XswampyX , the cans from Artgoblin and the puzzle from COBRASoft.

The practice gloves, flies and dice were first class too. We have a pretty high standard every week now!
Not sure what your 'thing' is, A.sandwich but it looks nice and that's half the battle :D

So, again, picking a winner was difficult but the (lack of) prize goes to.............
XswampyX for those perfect darts. Excellent proportion and detail there and a beautiful render too :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
04-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Congrats XswampyX!

ArtGoblin
04-22-2011, 04:45 AM
congratulations XswampyX ! You keep coming up with those killer models!! It's been so cool to follow you're postings on the forums, seeing you're skillset go from "basic" to "awesome" in such a short time, it can only mean that there's much more cool stuff to come from you in the future :D

MDSPECIFIC
04-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Congratulations XswampyX!
Mind sharing your camera settings (which camera, AA, AS)? :)

chco2
04-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Congrats XswampyX!

ow.. and I would like to get some more info on the grass as well :)

Dracorat
04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Grats XswampyX!

You deserve it! Eggs-ellent work on those darts!

XswampyX
04-22-2011, 11:14 AM
congratulations XswampyX ! You keep coming up with those killer models!! It's been so cool to follow you're postings on the forums, seeing you're skillset go from "basic" to "awesome" in such a short time, it can only mean that there's much more cool stuff to come from you in the future :D

Thanks, that's the kindest comment I've had all week!

Well done all. I shall cherish the prize.

I don't feel qualified to give any tips or tutorials but I can give you both the scenes. Have fun picking through them and don't be too hard on me when you find something stupid! It is a speed challenge after all.

Thanks again.

MDSPECIFIC
04-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks man, will check them later.
I'm so tired right now and I need minimum 10 hours of sleep. :)

BigHache
04-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Grats and nice work! I just got back in town and realized I didn't upload wires. I'll see if I can still get those up anyway. On to the next!