PDA

View Full Version : Firing numerous ribbons - like party poppers

AbstractTech3D
04-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Hi There

I've been trying to set up a scene for handling numerous ribbons exploding out of emitters - then drifting back to the ground - like party poppers.

Using ClothFX I've got a single realistic ribbon dynamic happening (sewn to an animated null). But I've had no luck trying to drive that hierarchy from an emitter using FX_Dynamic Linker.

Should I be able to do this?

If not, how might it otherwise be achieved?

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
04-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Not sure, but look into the playback MDD files capabilities. You're on the forefront here.

There's some triggering options in there-- beyond my knowledge, but they sound promising. Write back!

Dexter2999
04-14-2011, 04:29 PM
I am totally guessing here, but make the single ribbon action a loopable action. (Probably have to bake it.)
Then try to use the running army tutorial.
http://www.the123d.com/tutorial/lightwave2/crowd01.shtml

daforum
04-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Have a look at the Dpont plugins, there's bound to be something in there that will do this.

daforum
04-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Cool tutorial Dexter2999, thanks for the link :thumbsup:

XswampyX
04-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I think your emitter has to emit all your particles on the first frame for this to work.

Try 50 particles, per frame, total number 50. This will give a burst of 50 particle for FXLinker to link too.

Maybe.... :)

Edit :-

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Ribbon.jpg

AbstractTech3D
04-14-2011, 05:20 PM
XswampyX

What exactly have you FX_dynamic linked to?

XswampyX
04-14-2011, 05:33 PM
It's linked through the ParticleFX linker.

select your streamer and press 'm' then under add modifier select fxlink.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/ParFXLink.jpg

Then go to utilities, additional, fxlink and create your 49 clones.

AbstractTech3D
04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
XswampyX

Ok, followed your directions. It is cloning the ribbon, and attaching it to the particles. But clones don't have the motion generated by the sewn null that the original ribbon has.

Have you used a null sewn to the end of the initial ribbon to pull it around with?

Have you baked the motion and then cloned it?

AbstractTech3D
04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Ok - I think I see what's going on. Your fix points must be at the bottom of your streamers. How do you deal with releasing the bottom end of the streamer, so that that that end can also follow into the air?

jeric_synergy
04-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm trying to follow along.... where is Particle FX (Dynamic?) Linker invoked?? In the displacement tab?? (The dox are unclear. What a surprise.)

AbstractTech3D
04-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm trying to follow along.... where is Particle FX (Dynamic?) Linker invoked?? In the displacement tab?? (The dox are unclear. What a surprise.)

See the lower portion of the middle box in the diagram above. Under motion options for the streamer (hit 'm' with the streamer object active).

Actually I now have it working quite well using this solution (thank-you). However, still having problems with one end of the streamer.

jeric_synergy
04-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Actually I now have it working quite well using this solution (thank-you). However, still having problems with one end of the streamer.
Post everything you can, or at least an anim! :D

AbstractTech3D
04-14-2011, 07:36 PM
scene and object file attached.

You'll see that I'm having trouble preventing the whole of the object from moving at the launch, in addition to the end being pulled. It would seem that it is my cloth settings, perhaps.

I had been trying using a helix streamer. However, same problem.

AbstractTech3D
04-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Ok, this single instance is working much better. (Attached).

Although it seems to much for my setup calculate properly when these are cloned. I guess I'll have to bake out the motion a few times overů not quite sure yet.

jeric_synergy
04-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for posting the files!!! Much educationamal! >8^D