PDA

View Full Version : Ok... Christmas came early for me :)

fineartist
04-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Just got the word that my work is buying me a Mac Pro 12 core (Two 2.66 6-core Westmere) beast and I cannot for the life of me find any render test info on what to expect.

Anyone have the same setup or at least some idea how fast this puppy will be?

And if not, I am suppose to get it between the 20th and the 22. If you want me to run something, let me know, I'll give it a shot.

gerry_g
04-15-2011, 12:30 PM
compared to what ?, they render large stuff very fast as in millions of polygons but small stuff not a great deal different, most modelling or set up operations are still single threaded so little or no difference and GUI speed is down to GPU........or to put it another way my old eight core which is not hyper-threaded runs at around half the speed of my twelve core which is.

jrandom
04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I have the 12-Core Mac (I think I'm one step down from 2.66GHz, but I'm not sure) and watching 24 render threads do their thing is downright smile-inducing. Yay for hyperthreads!

ingo
04-15-2011, 02:23 PM
http://barefeats.com/wst10.html

Ponyboy
04-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Just got the word that my work is buying me a Mac Pro 12 core (Two 2.66 6-core Westmere) beast and I cannot for the life of me find any render test info on what to expect.

niiiiiiiiiice :thumbsup:

JonW
04-15-2011, 04:00 PM
My W5580 does this in 1:03
http://www.3dspeedmachine.com/

The site was updated but I don't think it's working properly, but the benchmark scene has been comparable with my arch renders across my other boxes.

fineartist
04-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Gerry - I guess I was looking for info on if Lightwave handles multi processors like this setup well, if there is going to be speed increases in using Modeller ( I am getting 10 which I've heard handles hi poly scenes much better than 9.6...god I hope so...) and just a general idea of how to best utilize it. I don't have the computer knowledge many have on how to tweak a computer to get the best use out of it, but I sure want to learn. :)

Thanks jrandom, ingo, ponyboy and JonW for responding. Jon, I didn't know about that site but I will give it a whirl when my computer arrives.

I was thinking, has there been a Thread about what you named your computer? I was thinking about nicknaming it Paris (it's fast, costs a lot to own, and it will take your universal dongle in the back when you need to get down to business) BUT I don't want to catch any viruses and the thought of her makes me sick......

JonW
04-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Modeler: 1 core
Layout: 1 core (rendering up to 64 cores)

An SSD will make things more responsive.

My computer names are pretty boring: 5580, 5450, 940, 920, 921, 5335, mini, 533.
I would like to add some more interesting names like: E7-2870!