PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten (2011)

Paradise
04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
This is my very first 3D animated short clip ever, made for my thesis project.

"Forgotten" is a 3D animated short revolving around the themes of being forgotten resulting from carelessness. The audience gets a sneak peek of how the doll feels as we dive into the world of neglect. To make it more personal, this piece is created to be shown from the eyes of the rag doll where he feels abandoned and unloved. His owner may be out there looking for him, but to him, it is only a thought he could dream of but never know for sure until one day he is found and loved again.

"Forgotten" on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/22328786

Enjoy!

____

Everything done by me
with the exception of the music, which is by Giovanni Bomoll

Traveler
04-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Well done! I like the story and the music a lot. And for a first animation this really isn't bad at all. What I found most distracting though was the sudden (dis)appearance of the pencil and the size change of the heart. Fixing those issues would make it a lot better.

Paradise
04-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I plan to fix those in the long run, perhaps after exams and such :)

borkus
04-15-2011, 10:10 PM
I liked this presentation a lot. It gave me the feeling at the end of wanting more, which is a high compliment seeings how that doesn't happen often... I understand all too well the time constraints involved in that I'm in school as well right now. I sincerely implore you to reopen this when you have more time to invest into it. All the components are there for a compelling story. As Traveler said, the writing on the wall was a bit distracting, but I don't want to over-emphasis that in lieu of knowing that it was on a deadline. But putting some final polish on this will definitely make this a killer plug in your reel. It has the emotion to draw people in, and that is of the utmost concern in getting people to continue to watch. I would like to see a few more examples of the "happy" times to simply drive home the plight of the character. The rendering is quite good for a first reel. I do congratulate you on that. Again, excellent show and I hope to see more in the future. Good luck on your studies.

Paradise
04-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Sorry for the late reply, just wrote my final undergrad exam today :D:D

Thank you so much for your comments! They really mean a lot to me! Yeah I most definitely will re-open this project and fix the stuff that needed to be enhanced, especially since that heart sequence bothers me to no end every time I re-watch it. Unfortunately I redid that sequence way too many times, I just got really sick of doing the heart in Photoshop frame by frame.. all throughout, time after time, to a point where I think I lost 10 years of my life. However, with that said, I think I figured out a way to finally make it work now, but prior to what you see thus far, I have been experimenting on how to get the heart to re-shape with the camera angles and how to keep them logically sized etc.. The positioning was a tricky one as well.

Thank you once again for all your kind comments, I shall keep those in mind for when I do re-work on this piece :). Thanks and good luck to you too!

Traveler
04-21-2011, 02:10 AM
When you get to it, make sure you come back here first and ask how others would animate the heart like that. There are some pretty clever people here, who can tell you exactly how to improve the animation, and probably even how to do it quicker.

Good luck with your exams!

Paradise
04-21-2011, 03:09 PM
ooh I shall do just that :) cause any easier and smarter way to do that would be greatly appreciated! thanks :D