PDA

View Full Version : Car modeling Video Tutorial

Lewis
04-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi there!

Through last 12+ years since I've been doing serious modeling of CARs in LW a lot of users asked me why don't i make video tutorial and i didn't know really why beside that I'm tight on schedule. I guess i was too busy to start one but last year I finally decided that i will make it no matter how long it will take to record :). Since I was (still) very busy with 3D work i had to record videos on weekends or long endless/sleepless nights and finally i managed to make it to level I'm happy with after many weeks :).

After this shameless self promoting talk I'm presenting you my first Car modeling video Tutorial available at Foundation3d :).

This is teaser video (available in 720p ;))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z498YTuLE6g

Here is link to the store and more info about it + more demo videos:
http://www.foundation3d.com/plugins/p337_affiliates/upload/58.gif (http://www.foundation3d.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=77)

It is Complete full SubDs/Subpatch exterior Video Car modeling tutorial. It's not for absolute beginners but anyone who know where the tools are at interface (I'm saying which ones and showing them in numeric panel all the time) should manage just fine and on top of that should have direct help/input at special forum section just for buyers (so be sure to register yourself at F3D forums also and not just Store).

- Spline patching (most of time) + some other neat tricks about modeling
- 68 chapters
- 37h 37m 15s total duration (yes that much - "Full Monty", nothing is cutout :)).
- 2 introduction/setup videos (about 50 more minutes on top of chapters duration)
- 1680*1050 screen resolution MP4 (download only)
- compatible with LW modeler 9.0 up to 10.x
- support forum for all buyers with Q/A and help i can provide in ver fast under 24hours time (due time zone differences i can't always answer instantly)
- List/links of free plugins that speed up modeling very much
- Total download size is about 13.x Gb
- Compressed into 21 rar files ready for immediate download (each rar is separate so you can unpack it one by one and watch chapters while downloading rest of files)
- more goodies at forum (like ready spline cage and resource photos)
- you can see WIP modeling progress here - http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117270&highlight=Oldtimer

cheers and thanks for reading :).

OnlineRender
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Excellent looks brilliant !

KING OF CARS , we are not worthy !

Cageman
04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Looks really cool! I hope there will be alot of people buying this!

:thumbsup:

stevmjon
04-13-2011, 04:34 PM
thanks lewis. i am looking forward to learning from you. will buy tonight as soon as i get home.

btw, is there a download time limit? (eg. must download within 48 hours after purchase)
edit: i have a 10 gig download limit per month on my broadband. i will need to download close to the time my monthly renewell ends/starts to get all of it.

thanks stevmjon

Lewis
04-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for nice words guys , I appreciate :).

stevmjon - current time limit for generated links is 10 days so it should be OK, especially with your download speed of 10mbit :).

BigHache
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Sweet! Sounds awesome. I've always liked what you pump out and it never hurts to see new tutorials.

hrgiger
04-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Congrats Lewis on the release. A couple more days til payday and I will buy. Thank you!

Lewis
04-14-2011, 12:28 AM
edit: i have a 10 gig download limit per month on my broadband. i will need to download close to the time my monthly renewell ends/starts to get all of

I probably miss understood your question earlier but now i think i got it right and we upped download time for unique generated links (at your account when purchase) to 20 days. That should cover your case also - right ?

hrgiger and BigHache - it was big task, much bigger to sort Store data attachments and security than we anticipated but finally it's here so thanks guys :).

wrench
04-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Fantastic! Thanks Lewis!

B

raw-m
04-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Many thanks Lewis, definitely going for this! Are the plugins you mentioned mac friendly?

Lewis
04-14-2011, 01:26 AM
Many thanks Lewis, definitely going for this! Are the plugins you mentioned mac friendly?

Hi !

I've used free plugins and most used are Mac friendly (like DTools and Thickener or Pictrix SP_move) and i have links in video and at forum for all of them with info about MAC/PC and 32/64bit :). I've also showed some ways how to do certain things with and without plugin to emphasize difference (Like how to use Blochis Thickener and how to do same without it to show that it's easier/faster with plugin but not impossible without:)). But not all what I used (5-6 total) are available for MAC. Still maybe there is somethign similar for Mac that I'm not aware of. I've used old "Heatpress" plugin 3-4 times in tutorial (so that's about 2 minutes out of 37+ hours ;)) which does pretty much same as Ko_pointFit but with less options to click. I had no idea is there similar thing on MAC side :(.

But i have some ideas about different approaches if someone gets stuck somewhere due no mac equivalent free plugin so we can sort out anything so even addendum video(s) at forum support for specific problems can be an option to solve it nicely ;). I've explained in the start that this is not ONLY way (people often confuse that) how to model nor "right" way 'coz luckily in LW there is dozens of ways for similar results. this one is just my preferred way and one i find very effective and good for me :).

Ben - Thanks for nice words :).

stevmjon
04-14-2011, 03:08 AM
I probably miss understood your question earlier but now i think i got it right and we upped download time for unique generated links (at your account when purchase) to 20 days. That should cover your case also - right ?

hrgiger and BigHache - it was big task, much bigger to sort Store data attachments and security than we anticipated but finally it's here so thanks guys :).

thanks lewis. you are very helpful.

i have purchased the tutorial, and i am waiting for the comformation link.

cheers, stevmjon.

Lewis
04-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks stevmjon and let me know (PM or e-mail) wen your Account shows download links and see you in support forums (Bob will activate your forum name there within 24h so be sure to register to F3D) :).

BTW if anyone here needs more info or instructions about tutorial feel free to contact me on Skype, my Skype name is - lewis3d

mav3rick
04-14-2011, 04:25 AM
great stuff lewis!

Mitja
04-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Congrats for this one!!! :thumbsup:

dee
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Congrats Lewis! I've enjoyed your Cobra tutorial years ago, and so will I this one. :thumbsup:

Lewis
04-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks mav3rick, dee and Mitja :).

JeffrySG
04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm sure this will be the ultimate car tutorial out there!!! Looks like you've done an amazing job on this, Lewis! I'm sure you'll be selling a ton of these!

lardbros
04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Wow, about time Lewis!! :D Will have to consider this as a purchase!

I also think you now need to do a tutorial on how you did the rotating and building model of the car in the trailer :D

Lewis
04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I also think you now need to do a tutorial on how you did the rotating and building model of the car in the trailer :D

Heheh so you want a tutorial about trailer for tutorial of tutorial :D ;). well it involves lot of rendering and postproduction ;).

thanks for comments to you and JeffrySG

lardbros
04-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Heheh so you want a tutorial about trailer for tutorial of tutorial :D ;)

Yes pleeeeeease!! :D

Seriously though, it's a nice effect... and the tutorial I'm sure is brilliant.

Actually, just thinking, would it be possible to use an incremental object loader (like the real-flow plugin) to load incremental object save files? It could load them in sequence and give you a nice building model wouldn't it? :D If you save LOADS of backup models this would be a synch! :D

Lewis
04-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Yes pleeeeeease!! :D

Seriously though, it's a nice effect... and the tutorial I'm sure is brilliant.

Yes i saved file for each chapter 'coz i had this in mind before starting to record video ;). Also LODs with replace in layout would work fine (just use single layer and it'll work) but i wasn't sure how much frames and at what speed I'd need them so i rendered each sequence 600 frames separately and then speed up and comped together later ;).

Well i might even explain whole trailer setup in supporting forums then one day too if there would be enough interest ;).

ActionBob
04-14-2011, 10:13 PM
While I am no stranger to making car models (for small contract work), I am no master at it. I look forward to learning from a true car modeling master. There is always something to learn and re-learn. Thanks for putting this together.

Now... all the downloads.... sheesh! Glad it is downloadable content though. Even if I will have to let it download over night. :-)

-ActionBob (member formally know as The ActionBob or ACLOBO - user since 3.5)

Lewis
04-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi ActionBob, Thanks for support and happy downloading ;).

Larry_g1s
04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Very cool Lewis. I've been impressed with your modeling skills and will have to try and pick this one up. I think regardless if one has a need or car modeling or not, the modeling techniques and workflow for something like this will make it worth the purchase.

Lewis
04-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks for kind words Larry, and yes I tired to explain even in beginning that it's not just about CAR, it's more about technique/tips & tricks/approach to certain shapes so yes I agree with that sentiment (regardless of is it worth for some ;)).

DELTA DIGITAL
04-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Waiting till payday, I have been a fan of your work for years... How much extra $$$ for the autographed box set??? lol

DELTA DIGITAL
aka DELTA
aka Mike

Lewis
04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Waiting till payday, I have been a fan of your work for years... How much extra $$$ for the autographed box set??? lol

Heheeh we can arrange that I send "download" autograph box set. We can call it "Digital Autograph" then :D ;)

DELTA DIGITAL
04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Heheeh we can arrange that I send "download" autograph box set. We can call it "Digital Autograph" then :D ;)

Lol... Will be looking for it in my E-mail...:thumbsup:

hrgiger
04-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Just ordered Lewis. Looking forward to it.

Hopper
04-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Awesome! This looks fantastic Lewis. Is the tutorial all modeling, or do you go into some of the finer points of materials and texturing techniques?

I'm sure I'll be downloading this soon regardless.

Cheers.

hrgiger
04-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Got my download links. I'm getting really slow connection. I have a 1.5MB a second download speed, but I'm only getting about 217KB/sec so far. This will take a while.

Lewis
04-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Hopper - It's modeling only but if all goes well and i get interest from users i might consider interior and surface/render also with new LW10 ColorSpace settings which helps a lot with CarPaint shaders ;).

hrgiger - thanks Steve :). as for download speed dunno why is 217kb/s only since server is at 20Mbit speed. I'll see with Bob what could be (other than maybe traffic or backup on server at same time you tried).

cheers

Fadlabi
04-16-2011, 04:14 AM
Looks really cool! Professional car modeling as always.

hrgiger
04-16-2011, 04:40 AM
hrgiger - thanks Steve :). as for download speed dunno why is 217kb/s only since server is at 20Mbit speed. I'll see with Bob what could be (other than maybe traffic or backup on server at same time you tried).

cheers

Yeah, not sure but before I got the second file downloaded, my session had timed out on Foundation and it logged me off. Trying again this morning and still only getting just over 200 kb/s.

And definitely interested in taking this tutorial all the way to finished render with interior.

Lewis
04-16-2011, 05:02 AM
Yeah, not sure but before I got the second file downloaded, my session had timed out on Foundation and it logged me off. Trying again this morning and still only getting just over 200 kb/s..

Did you downloaded any file so far ? Bob is still not online yet (which is normal since it's 5AM now in his Time zone ;)) but I forwarded speed question to him so I'll get you informed ASAP. you don't need to wait to download all files to watch it, each file is containing several chapters so you can unpack those you got just fine and leave machine downloading rest while watching ones you have ;).

And definitely interested in taking this tutorial all the way to finished render with interior.

So far i did get few questions about it so I'm definitely considering, just have to see how well resource photos i can get (since there is no blueprints for interior so it's all eyeballing :)) and render/setup is not a problem but we will see when time comes ;). Thanks for interest

hrgiger
04-16-2011, 05:08 AM
Yeah Lewis, I got two downloaded last night so it's not a huge problem. The downloads themselves are not timing out, just me being logged into Foundation website. Downloading the third file this morning. Getting slightly faster downloads, but still only about 260 kb/s. I will get them eventually.

Hmm, is it possible to find this car somewhere you can take reference photos yourself? I will check to see if there are any local car shows going on around here. You see classics all the time around here when its car weekend.

Lewis
04-16-2011, 05:20 AM
Yeah Lewis, I got two downloaded last night so it's not a huge problem. The downloads themselves are not timing out, just me being logged into Foundation website. Downloading the third file this morning. Getting slightly faster downloads, but still only about 260 kb/s. I will get them eventually.

Ahh ok that's better then, I was afraid that you didn't manage to download anything :). You'll probably need to wait for Bob to activate you to Supporting forums at F3d but then it should work fine

Hmm, is it possible to find this car somewhere you can take reference photos yourself? I will check to see if there are any local car shows going on around here. You see classics all the time around here when its car weekend.

I have some photos of interior what Bob took at some Car show (you can download them also in supporting forums) but it's not overly detailed or close since you really aren't allowed to enter others peoples cars that easily on car exhibitions so Bob took what he could form open windows :). As for me finding such car in Croatia (or Europe for that matter) that's close to Mission Impossible ;). But for so called "shadow interior" i might have enough resources with that what Bob made. For anything detailed as on exterior i would need more so we will see.

Lewis
04-16-2011, 07:01 AM
BTW Steve and anyone else who is buying please register yourself at F3D and reply to purchase mail when Bob sends it with your forum name so he can activate your accounts for support forums, that's location where Bob can act on all your server questions much faster. This way when I copy info to him and he then sends it back to me and then i back to you it's kinda slower than it should be :). He is sending mails regularly and I'm getting CCs so if anyone don't get mail whit instructions please check your SPAM/filters or contact me directly on mail/skype/icq whatever you feel good so we can sort it out ASAP :).

As for transfer speed Steve, Bob says only reason could be if there was multiple users downloading and at one point last night 5-6 users were downloading something at once so that might be slowdown you were seeing since 20Mbut is around 2.5 Mb/s (theoretically) if you are alone at speed :).

So basically reply to e-mail named "Modeling the 58 confirmation" with your forum name (so register yourself first there unless you are already registered on forum) and then you'll be in support forums very fast for any Q/A or so :).

cheers and thanks in advance

Lewis
04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Decided to test how will my geometry work in rendering cases so i had to make some materials and custom made texture for Tire side walls. Nowdays tires are less thick than those old ones so making a texture to fit tall walls was a tricky, but 2700*2700pixels custom texture will work just fine :)

Here is result:

Cryonic
04-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Got my download links. I'm getting really slow connection. I have a 1.5MB a second download speed, but I'm only getting about 217KB/sec so far. This will take a while.

That sounds about right if you're off about your actual download speed. 1.5Mb/s (note the lower case for bit) is around 190-200KB/s (big B for byte).

Pixelight
04-22-2011, 06:24 PM
This looks great!
I'm thinking it's for modeling only and not shading/texturing etc? Or is it from modeling to finish/render?

Lewis
04-22-2011, 06:29 PM
This looks great!
I'm thinking it's for modeling only and not shading/texturing etc? Or is it from modeling to finish/render?

Thanks

This is modeling only but very, very detailed, I've gone into surface naming convention and basic coloring (for easier visual feedback in model) so it's ready for shading/surfacing but I've not did that in tutorial (woudl take too long for single tutorial which is already 37+ hours ;)). So I'm consider making 2nd part with surfacing/rendering later if all goes well with this one :).

cheers

hrgiger
04-22-2011, 07:50 PM
That sounds about right if you're off about your actual download speed. 1.5Mb/s (note the lower case for bit) is around 190-200KB/s (big B for byte).

My actual download speed is 15Mbps but I just meant to say that my download speed normally falls around 1.5MB a sec (yes, not Mb) so I should be getting a lot faster then what I was. Either way, it's all good. I got all the parts downloaded.

ToMar
04-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Ahh ok that's better then, I was afraid that you didn't manage to download anything :). You'll probably need to wait for Bob to activate you to Supporting forums at F3d but then it should work fine

I have some photos of interior what Bob took at some Car show (you can download them also in supporting forums) but it's not overly detailed or close since you really aren't allowed to enter others peoples cars that easily on car exhibitions so Bob took what he could form open windows :). As for me finding such car in Croatia (or Europe for that matter) that's close to Mission Impossible ;). But for so called "shadow interior" i might have enough resources with that what Bob made. For anything detailed as on exterior i would need more so we will see.

Hmmm.... I'm sure it's not an Impala but an Chevy (Bel Air perhaps?) that I spotted at the shop of some buddys of mine. Any idea if the interiors differ much?

And a Q. about the tutorial: How much time woud have passed if you did the model the normal way (without explaining, videorecording etc.) ?

DELTA DIGITAL
04-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Hay Lewis, I watched the first 5 videos. They rock... Great Job... Well worth the $$$. Still waiting for my autographed box set ;) I had no problem with the dl speed...

Lewis
04-24-2011, 04:12 AM
Hmmm.... I'm sure it's not an Impala but an Chevy (Bel Air perhaps?) that I spotted at the shop of some buddys of mine. Any idea if the interiors differ much?

And a Q. about the tutorial: How much time woud have passed if you did the model the normal way (without explaining, videorecording etc.) ?

Hi Tomar !

I have no idea what's interior difference between these two, i Know exterior chrome trims are little different and soem light positions or so but no idea about interior stuff :).

As for tutorial lenghts - If I'm not talkign and explaining i.e in normal mode i'd finish it in 12-13 hours less than what it took me this way when speakign and doing slower than usually. So i guess it'll be 30% faster i.e. around 25 hours or so.

Hay Lewis, I watched the first 5 videos. They rock... Great Job... Well worth the $$$. Still waiting for my autographed box set ;) I had no problem with the dl speed...

Thanks Delta, It's nice to hear you like them. As for autographed BOX let me get home from Easter vacations in few days (I'm away from home now) and i'll see what i can do about that ;).

erikals
02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
car tutorial link broken...?

Lewis
02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
car tutorial link broken...?

Yep, still on hold :(.

Lewis
02-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Hi !

Just to inform you who asked me about it (here, one e-mail and PMs) that tutorial is back online :).

Link is in my signature or here: http://www.foundation3d.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=77

Thanks for patience.

erikals
02-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Great..!

now linked in my "LW vidz" link... tinyurl.com/7832bja

Lewis
02-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks for "push" man :).

Lewis
06-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi again, here is me with Test renders of my mesh finally :). Few renders of Chevy Impala 58 from Tutorial. This is FINAL mesh from tutorial and i just added "shadow interior" and few textures and completed materials (tutorial is only about modeling but fully detail as you can see since this is exact smae goemetry as showed in tutorial). It's modeled/rendered as subDs and at level 5 it's 19.x mil polys on rendertime (can be used as level3 (then is under 9 mil at render) at smaller resolutions (i rendered at 4k and downsized for forum usage).

cheers

hrgiger
06-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Gorgeous Lewis!

Lewis
06-30-2013, 02:54 AM
Thanks Steve :).

chikega
07-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Beautiful renders!

allabulle
07-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Yes. Nice renders!

I have yet to buy and watch the tutorial, man. I need some time to gain a bit of time to be able to spend some time... :)

Lewis
07-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys :).

geo_n
07-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi again, here is me with Test renders of my mesh finally :). Few renders of Chevy Impala 58 from Tutorial. This is FINAL mesh from tutorial and i just added "shadow interior" and few textures and completed materials (tutorial is only about modeling but fully detail as you can see since this is exact smae goemetry as showed in tutorial). It's modeled/rendered as subDs and at level 5 it's 19.x mil polys on rendertime (can be used as level3 (then is under 9 mil at render) at smaller resolutions (i rendered at 4k and downsized for forum usage).

cheers

Very nice renders. Love these old cars.

lardbros
07-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Very very good modelling Lewis! But then... didn't expect anything less! :D

wyattharris
07-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Aw man, this would have helped tremendously when I was modeling Ecto 1, instead of all the fumbling in the dark I was doing. That's a good deal, I think I may check it out anyway.

Lewis
07-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks for comments and support guys, I appreciate :).

raw-m
11-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Thread back from the dead! I'm just getting round to this as I realise my modelling skills suck and its cheaper to buy and learn this rather than throw my computer across the room. Obviously, this tutorial is still relevant but are there any new workflows to be aware of as I make my way through (it's from 2011)?

Igu4n4
11-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Wow... you pulled a skeleton from the closet... ;) Was a good tutorial then,.. still a good one today. I guess that means that Lewis is timeless. ;)

st3.

Steve McArdle
Creative Director - Topix

raw-m
11-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Wow... you pulled a skeleton from the closet... ;) Was a good tutorial then,.. still a good one today. I guess that means that Lewis is timeless. ;)

Good answer! Purchased, awaiting "processing".......

jeric_synergy
11-19-2015, 10:18 AM
raw-m, I'd suggest studying the latest tools, the "Axis-x" tools, and watching for where it might make more sense to use them rather than the traditional.

Basically, everything BeeVee marked with a logo in the TOC of the dox.

I, for example, keep forgetting to use (Axis) Transform, which has handy dandy alignment tools. Also, the tools found under "Sequence" in the menu editor.

Lewis
11-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi

Basically Workflow is 95% still same 'coz modeler didn't change much from the days i did tutorial and even back then i showed setup and few free plugins used in the modeling process to speedup workflow. All is explained WHY ad where to get plugins so you should be good to go. Today i mainly use same tools and trowed in few new tools from old edgepack (James W plugin later assimilated in LW) and native thicken (instead previously free thickener) and Heatshrink native (instead heatpress free plugin). As for edge and point sliding there s still no native solution so you will get instructions how to use/setup plugins (PointOnMove and DEdgeslide/DUnislide) for those operations.

In case any issues F3D area for tutorial is always open and I'm there answering if any questions (although for some reason people in that closed tutorial section rather ask questions on PM than in public but i answer both ways anyway :))

Thanks for support and pleas be patient for verification link (Bob has to verify each one manually so it can take few hours or day depends on timezone).

Chris S. (Fez)
11-19-2015, 12:58 PM
raw-m, I'd suggest studying the latest tools, the "Axis-x" tools, and watching for where it might make more sense to use them rather than the traditional.

The axis Move/Rotate/Scale tools are excellent additions, along with the new Align tool.

Lewis
11-19-2015, 01:52 PM
The axis Move/Rotate/Scale tools are excellent additions, along with the new Align tool.

Sure but not actually needed for this kind of modeling wit subDs 'coz none of them actually work in SubDs mode ;).

Chris S. (Fez)
11-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Sure but not actually needed for this kind of modeling wit subDs 'coz none of them actually work in SubDs mode ;).

Good point!

raw-m
11-20-2015, 01:32 AM
I think the tools in the 3rd Powers suite will help me out, too. Thanks for the updates, purchased and looking forward to seeing them.