PDA

View Full Version : Sculptris UV workflow Ideas?

jesblood
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Can anyone on here suggest a workflow similar to Silo's workflow when it comes to using paint displacement and retaining Uv mapping coordinates in Sculptris?

My method: In Silo I first create a base mesh. Then I subdivide it several times. Next I use the paint displacement tools to create added detail to the subdivided mesh similar to Sculprtis. Then I dial down the subdivision back to zero. I then set Uv coordinates at the base mesh level. I notch the dial all the way back up to the highest subdivide level I was painting displacements on and bravo the Uvs are still intact. Finally I can generate baked normal and displacement maps to use in other applications.

This workflow leaves me with several options on the table:

1. I can load my obj into LW (at base mesh level). Activate the APS system (subdivisions). Set how high those subdivision levels go at render time. Load the generated normal and displacement maps. And at render time I'll get the detailed hi-rez model in the final output while being able to animate the low-rez version in the LW viewports.

2. Another way is, load my obj into LW (at base mesh level). Activate the APS system (subdivisions). Leave the subdivision levels at default level (low) for render time. Load the generated normal map only. At render time I'll get a somewhat convincing faux version of the hi-rez model in the final output while yet again being able to animate the low-rez version in the LW viewports. (This is good for quick rendering)

Simple, clean, easy, and efficient. Only there's a slight problem. My notebook, even though it has an excellent video card ( Nvidia Quadro FX 570 mobile), isn't always able to stay stable at the high levels needed to paint convincing displacements into the mesh. The program always crashes on me, plus I hate the displacement tools. Sculptris on the other hand is a dream! I love sculpting with it! It's tools work beautifully without crashing!
Only problem is that when I load an object into the program all my previously created UV coordinates get destroyed. And after I've used the Paint side of the program it creates an erratic set of UV coordinates.

Is there a program that can fix these Uv issues?

I want to include Sculptris into my pipeline. Unfortunately I don't see how I can. If anyone understands what I'm trying to convey here, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm all ears. Any help would be greatly (and I mean greatly) appreciated. Thanks.

OnlineRender
04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
easy use Blender , cant say I have used the sculptris in a long time .

ZE_COLMEIA
04-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Just to say a generic pipeline I use when I have a base mesh and a hi poly textured mesh with the same base topology ( same dimensions, same " silhouete, etc):

1 - The low poly mesh must have a good UV map .

2 - Load both in layout.

3 - set the low poly/base mesh to "unseen by camera, unseen by rays.. unseen by everything"

4 - Set the camera to Surface Baking Camera and use the low poly/base mesh and its uv (yes, the invisible one) as the surface baking camera settings.

5 -set the "Offset From Surface" option propperly.

6 - set all surfaces as " 0% diffuse and 100% luminosity".

7 - Render it.

This will render the texture you made in another software in the other uv map object.

For normals I use this free plugins for modeler:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/normalmaps.html

I hope it helps!

jesblood
04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
@ ZE_COLMEIA:

Are both the low-mesh object and the Hi-mesh object supposed to occupy the same space in the viewport of Layout before I do what you've instructed? I've never used the surface bake camera before. That's whay I'm asking. I would assume I'm supposed to.

Thanks for the idea as well as the link. By the way, does the plugin you suggested work in LW10 or only in older versions?

Thanks for the help

ZE_COLMEIA
04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Yes, both must be in the exact same place, the plan is:

Surface bake camera works by making the render of an UV surface, for exemple, if you put a procedural texture on an object you will be able to render the resulting material to an image. So, if the low poly character is invisible and you are rendering its UV, the render result will be "Rob" the other object surface, this process is some "glitchy" because it has not the exact topology, so you must tweak surface bake camera a little to avoid bad results.

The normal map plugins (NormalMapCreate) I dont know if it works on lw10 because I didnt put my hands on lw10 yet. :/ but there are ways to do it without the usage of plugins, you can try to use some kind of normal map color node in the high poly mesh and bake it to the lp mesh anyway.

jesblood
04-19-2011, 02:09 PM
@ ZE_COLMEIA:

God bless you bro. These plugins ROCK!!! Now I'm totally able to take the detail of a 300,000 poly - 900,000 poly object and bake that detail onto the uvs of a 4,000 poly object. Man the results look great! Thanks again!!!

What's even better is I don't even have to retopologize at all! I love it!! I totally totally appreciate it!

ZE_COLMEIA
04-19-2011, 08:48 PM
You are welcome!!!

Yes, lightwave is able to do all this things out of the box, I never understood why to use the plugin called "Microwave".

jesblood
04-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Now that I've looked at there website and the price. Yes I agree.

kalero
07-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Just wanted to thank you both for having exactly the conversation I needed to read! Other than some extra shadows and lines between the UV islands, this worked very smoothly. I'm sure I'll find the settings to resolve those two little glitches.

You guys rock.

rcallicotte
07-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Me too - needed to hear this. Thanks for the questions posted here and the answers.

Dreamcube017
07-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Awesome, now I know how to bake textures. Thanks guys.

ZE_COLMEIA
07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
About the uv islands border glitch:

After the distance tweaking the final baked texture will have some glitches because the render area is the exact portion of the uv borders, so my solution is to render it in transparency, open it in a image tweaking software, copy the layer, apply a little blur in the lower layer (generally around 1 pixel), copy the lower layer some times, flatten the blured layers, copy the flatten blurry layer and repeat the process (never forget to leave the first layer intact. so the borders will vanish.

erikals
07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
normal maps in LW using Dponts plugin,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7fINI4DpeI

also shows how to make a distance map (displacement map)