PDA

View Full Version : Help-shining surface

Alek6
04-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Please tell me why tubes aren't shining like the pipe?? It's same surface

gordonrobb
04-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Do you mean the pipe (hand rale) and the tubes (frame), if you do, I think they look right. Most of the light you see on the pipe is bounced from the floor, which you cant see on the tubes as you can't see the bottom surface.

Alek6
04-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Yes but the upper pipe seems more smoothy than tubes

Mr Rid
04-12-2011, 04:49 AM
Looks correct. I think you are just comparing the curved rail surface to the rest of the set which is flat surfaces.

prometheus
04-12-2011, 05:38 AM
Flat surfaces are trickier to get a metal look on compared to round tubes etc.

It depends on how you have set the scene up, what material are you using? conductor?

are you using raytracing and spherical mapping or backdropp mapping?
hdr in environment or in the surface spherical mapping?

You could model some simple window plates or similar and put in front of the railing but behind the camera so the railing reflects a little of that.
I would also recomend adding a very very slight touch of bump streaks if possible.

I mostly use hdr images directly on the surfaces in conductor mode and set reflection to raytrace and spherical mapping, you can control the image angle by rotation if the surface looks to flat by default.

Michael

wibly wobly
04-12-2011, 06:13 AM
It might help if there was something there that the surface to reflect against. Like textures or a sky globe. There's a lot of grey.

Alek6
04-12-2011, 06:33 AM
I use raytracing and backdrop, where can i find HDR for render like your pictures? What's conductor mode?

Snosrap
04-12-2011, 06:48 AM
You need some bevels in your models. Everything is too sharp, even at the end of the curved handrail. It's those bevels that throw light around.

prometheus
04-12-2011, 06:51 AM
I use raytracing and backdrop, where can i find HDR for render like your pictures? What's conductor mode?

hereīs a link to old hdrīs and the one I use mostly the rnl.hdr is in there.
http://ict.debevec.org/~debevec/Probes/all_probes.zip

or main page...
http://ict.debevec.org/~debevec/Probes/

Conductor node is the node material specially designed for metal surfaces.
You have to check the node editor ..see image.. and then click on edit nodes, once there you use the drop down menu to add a conductor material..see image, you feed the node to the material input.
then you double click on the conductor node to open it up and from there in the advanced tab you load in your hdr image in the reflection image, you also need to set a high specularity in the conductors basic tab, and roughness controls amount of blur, if you have activated reflection blur in the advanced tab.

william vaughan has a video on conductor material in Newteks 24 hour training materials freely available at the lightwave main page.

You can set up hdr images with lightprobe in the environment tab or as textured environment, Or use the sIBL plugin wich I recomend to take a look at, but I
prefer it this way in order to tweak materials where needed since my white background and metal surfaces sometimes blend in with to much white.

Michael

prometheus
04-12-2011, 06:57 AM
You need some bevels in your models. Everything is too sharp, even at the end of the curved handrail. It's those bevels that throw light around.

That is absolutly true too, basic model properties ..you need highlights on edges and rounding with bevel or rounder is a must often, you donīt want sharp knife edges to cut you in real life either:)
Itīs a little different when modeling like a wall intersection, since they are mostly sharp with a inward meeting, you rarely need to round that.

Michael

Alek6
04-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks for your advices!! I try!