PDA

View Full Version : LW 10.1 announced at NAB

caesar
04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
http://newtek.com/pressrelease.php?viewpr=205

NewTek Reveals LightWave™ 10.1 Stereoscopic Camera and Interactive Production Workflow Enhancements at NAB 2011
Software enhancements deliver greater stereoscopic camera rig and VPR functionality, better import and export capabilities, a new Skin material node, and more

LAS VEGAS – NAB Show – April 11, 2011 – NewTek, a worldwide leader of 3D animation and video products, will showcase NewTek LightWave™ 10.1, the latest version of its Emmy® Award-winning 3D software, at NAB 2011 in Las Vegas. With advanced modeling and animation tools built to integrate into any production pipeline, LightWave 10.1 delivers new capabilities for 3D artists, such as a new off-axis stereoscopic camera rig option, an improved Viewport Preview Renderer (VPR), more powerful import and export capabilities with FBX, MDD, and integrated Autodesk Geometry Cache support, a new Skin material node, and more. Visit NewTek (booth SL4514) during NAB, April 11-14 at the Las Vegas Convention Center, to see the latest advancements in LightWave software.

With the continued growth of the stereoscopic 3D film, television and gaming markets, artists need powerful tools to help streamline stereoscopic content creation. LightWave 10.1 delivers, with access to all major stereo camera rigs-parallel, toe-in, and off-axis, allowing artists to correct for toe-in distortion in the animation pipeline, dynamically. Other enhancements include interactive OpenGL off-axis adjustment of the right and left camera planes, user-friendly click-and-drag convergence point adjustment in the viewport, and the ability to disable the anaglyph representation of the stereo camera in OpenGL. Also in LightWave 10.1, interocular and convergence point can both be animated dynamically over time to track stereo changes within a shot.

"Our long-standing relationships with leading studios and our user community inspire the innovation for our LightWave application-and this certainly rings true with LightWave 10.1," said NewTek VP of 3D Development, Rob Powers. "As a 3D artist, I'm excited about the changes to our stereoscopic camera rig and interchange tools, which makes LightWave deliver even greater value to any production pipeline."

Using the LightWave VPR, artists can directly interact and easily adjust lights, textures, volumetrics and more, within the viewport. Artists can also use the VPR to view updates to deliver realistic environmental walkthroughs quickly, and perform virtual location scouts. LightWave 10.1 extends the functionality of VPR with the support of clip maps in the VPR render, the addition of object and distance dissolve, and improved nodal shaders like the new Skin material node that works with the VPR. The Skin material node uses a proprietary subsurface shading model for a simple "connect-and-go" way to create realistic looking skin.

LightWave 10.1 with integrated Autodesk Geometry Cache Support gives artists the ability to include or exclude models, morphs, animations, cameras and lights upon export. Other workflow features in LightWave 10.1 offer the ability to import joints as LightWave bones for greater compatibility with other programs; multi-threaded mesh evaluation optimization and sub-d mesh freezing acceleration; linear color space workflow improvements, including new support for .ICC / .ICM monitor profiles, and more. Additional LightWave 10.1 features include:
Virtual Studio Tools-supports InterSense Virtual Camera Tracking System (VCAM) and 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator 3D mouse, allowing interaction with models and scenes in real time
FiberFX-hair and fur shader now supports VPR and includes improved speed, stability and displacement handling
Linear Color Space Workflow-supports custom Look Up Tables (LUTs) for more realistic lighting and compositing flexibility, color space correction for HyperVoxels™, XYZ, Lab, RGB and CMYK data, and more
Updated User Interface (UI)-interactive channel sliders, added control for custom colors, and numerous workflow enhancements deliver a more dynamic user experience
Try LightWave free for 30 days at: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial.php

Pricing and Availability
LightWave 10.1 is expected to be available to registered users of LightWave 10 in Q2 2011.

For a limited time the upgrade price from LightWave v9 to LightWave 10.1 is US $495; a full license for LightWave 10.1 is US $895.
Educational pricing is also available. For more information, please visit www.newtek.com or call NewTek Sales at 800-368-5441. International callers dial +1-210-370-8000.

BlueApple
04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
http://newtek.com/pressrelease.php?viewpr=205...and improved nodal shaders like the new Skin material node that works with the VPR. The Skin material node uses a proprietary subsurface shading model for a simple "connect-and-go" way to create realistic looking skin.

Any images or more information on these improvements? Perhaps a screenshot of this skin node in action...

GraphXs
04-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Looking forward to the release!

EmperorPete
04-12-2011, 03:51 AM
Yay.
Any word on 9.6.1? We've been waiting since September for a proper update.

hdace
04-12-2011, 04:18 AM
According to NT support, 9.6.1 is done. They'll give you a permanent key if you don't want to upgrade to 10.

Samus
04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Man!!! ...for years people have been crying out loud for proper Cloth dynamics ... No Improvement there for Cloth FX or Hard FX....And they pretend that they listen to there Community... Sight!.... Big SIGH!!!!!

OnlineRender
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Man!!! ...for years people have been crying out loud for proper Cloth dynamics ... No Improvement there for Cloth FX or Hard FX....And they pretend that they listen to there Community... Sight!.... Big SIGH!!!!!

meh cant win them all , but I thought bullet can or could be integrated into LW10 not just core ?

I know from a workflow perspective it makes no sense , but can you not port your dynamics from Core into Lw10 ?

oh wait crapppy NDA.......

-EsHrA-
04-12-2011, 10:39 AM
indeed..

sigh!..

3DBob
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Get Marvellous Designer for Cloth, it is better than anything else - unbelievably quick on a decent GPU and can export animations to MDD.

3DBob

EmperorPete
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
According to NT support, 9.6.1 is done. They'll give you a permanent key if you don't want to upgrade to 10.
Nice of them to let us know.

Cageman
04-12-2011, 01:30 PM

While waiting for NT to deal with things...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118454

:)

Samus
04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
FLASH News.... MD2000 Is way more accurate in cloth simulation than ClothFX...I just ran few test on my old LW.8.5 And works brilliantly i wonder why it did not pass the 9 series. THIS should Be a BUG FIX 10.1
Should have!!!!!

Samus
04-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Here is a simple scene Just to prove my point.

Samus
04-12-2011, 04:40 PM
And this One Two ... all In 8.5's Motion designer...Try the same sim with Cloth FX and you'll get interpenetrations when it self collides!

Samus
04-12-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm really having a blast here.Not all sim are on the spot with MD2000
But jus a slight tweak and it works. PLEASE NEWTEK FIX MD2000 ON LW10.1

caesar
04-12-2011, 05:20 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=6181

CGSociety CGNews
NewTek chooses NAB to announce the roll out of extra features for LightWave.

Matt
04-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Bear in mind this is a .1 update, not a full on big new feature release.

caesar
04-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I just wish NT would kick Modeler out and replace it with CORE ASAP !!!
LW 10 VPR and LCS are great, but right now I think the combo: better modeling tools/history stack/performance/stable software would have a greater impact than dynamics, fluids and such.
And the 2D compositing stuff.

PS. Have you seen Max 2012 "nitro engine"? It would be great to have Amb Occlusion while testing your model TODAY, but NT doesn't release CORE! Other software gonna catch up with all the CORE "exclusive" features, and now it's only a "lab" software, not a "production" software...

Tartiflette
04-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Let's hope it's fully usable on Mac OS X, and not featured with bugs that let the processors run @10% while rendering because of a big problem with gradients... :(

Other than that LW10 is (at last, thanks Matt for that ! :thumbsup: ) a good release with a now beautiful, modern and slick interface, while VPR is becoming a real workflow enhancement, so LW10.1, if it's able to kill the main bugs on OS X, should be a pretty good one. :)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

Samus
04-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Bear in mind this is a .1 update, not a full on big new feature release.

Indeed Matt. However Motion_designer is not a new feature and those not work in Any lw 9.x series. So by definition it is a bug. In principle if you upgrade a software original features should work not get worse ...

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE lightwave. but there is no worst let down then when a feature of your software let's you down for bug purposes.

sam.

Matt
04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Indeed Matt. However Motion_designer is not a new feature and those not work in Any lw 9.x series. So by definition it is a bug. In principle if you upgrade a software original features should work not get worse ...

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE lightwave. but there is no worst let down then when a feature of your software let's you down for bug purposes.

sam.

While it might not be fast, or bug free (what software is?) and definately needs attention, Dynamics does 'work'.

Samus
04-17-2011, 06:42 AM
Well... if you can bring it to there minds at newtek... MD2000 works way better than Cloth fx on 8.5 and not at all in Lw 10. both dynamic engines have there flaws . My question is why MD2000 does'nt work at all in the 9.x and 10 Releases.

Thanks

WCameron
04-17-2011, 07:12 AM
maybe a similar reason we lost Steamer?

Wasn't the new dynamics implementation done by the same guy that did FXBreak - newtek hired him, then he left a few years ago?

- Will.

wesleycorgi
04-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Let's hope it's fully usable on Mac OS X, and not featured with bugs that let the processors run @10% while rendering because of a big problem with gradients... :(

Is that documented somewhere? I'm curious because I am rendering a scene right now where it was taking 1.5 hours per frame, even after turning off radiosity and most ray trace options. I then decided to render via Screamernet, turning back on radiosity and many of the ray trace options. Now it's taking anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes per frame.

colkai
04-17-2011, 09:49 AM
maybe a similar reason we lost Steamer?
Ahh, Steamer, that and the "natural shaders" were really useful additions.
I never did get why they were cut out of future releases, one reason I still have older versions of LW on my system.
There are times where Steamer would be so much better than fog / hypervoxels. Sigh... Ah, nostalgia. :)

caesar
04-22-2011, 10:01 PM
3DWorld preview 10.1 http://www.3dworldmag.com/2011/04/13/lightwave-10-1-announced-at-nab/

Pixelight
04-23-2011, 12:55 AM

I'm new to Lightwave so forgive me if this is a weird question. But why are they updating 9.6 when V10 is out? Isn't 10 already the upgrade of 9.6?

achilles
04-23-2011, 03:49 AM
Incredible! "LightWave 10.1 is expected to be available to registered users of LightWave 10 in Q2 2011".
Quarter after quarter years're passing and we haven't what they promised. LW10 and CORE.
Other software houses are running with their programs and NT is still promising us the miracle!
Sorry but i don't agree to have payied more than 900$ for promises.

Cageman
04-23-2011, 04:44 AM
Incredible! "LightWave 10.1 is expected to be available to registered users of LightWave 10 in Q2 2011".
Quarter after quarter years're passing and we haven't what they promised. LW10 and CORE.
Other software houses are running with their programs and NT is still promising us the miracle!
Sorry but i don't agree to have payied more than 900$ for promises.

Well... first of all, it says "is expected to" so... it isn't a promise per see, as it also hints that it could slip somewhat.

Secondly...

January - Mars = First Quarter
April - June = Second Quarter

We are in May now, so, roughly a month left before "Q2 2011" has passed.

Thirdly, this announcement is just for LW10.1, so, don't expect CORE to somehow also be released in a new flavour.

And last... there was quite a huge change of management related to LW over at NewTek roughly a year ago. Jay and Jonas left, Rob and some others entered. Whatever was promised before Rob came in had to be changed, since Rob has other priorities regarding how LW classic and CORE should be developed.

From an insider perspective, I can't say I see things that would make NT slip the "Q2 2011" mark for LW10.1. Things seems to look good on the LW10.1 front.

So.. cheer up!

:)

dee
04-23-2011, 06:15 AM
We are in May now

Wow, you're posting from the future? Still April here... :D

caesar
04-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Lol

Pixelight
04-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Yep, I just checked my clock and it's April here too, although you could have fooled me as I have not been outside that much this week.:stumped:

By the way, can I borrow the DeLorean for a spin?:D

ben martin
04-23-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm new to Lightwave so forgive me if this is a weird question. But why are they updating 9.6 when V10 is out? Isn't 10 already the upgrade of 9.6?

Lightwave 10 is an upgrade (not update).

The 9 cycle users have to pay US$495 to change from 9.6 to 10.
9.6.1 should have been the last free update to 9 cycle, unfortunately Newtek dropped the 9 cycle in “v9.6.1-BETA state” and never finished correcting what is not working in 9.6.1 version.

Pixelight
04-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Lightwave 10 is an upgrade (not update).

The 9 cycle users have to pay US$495 to change from 9.6 to 10.
9.6.1 should have been the last free update to 9 cycle, unfortunately Newtek dropped the 9 cycle in “v9.6.1-BETA state” and never finished correcting what is not working in 9.6.1 version.

I see. Didn't know that. Thanks!

Elmar Moelzer
04-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I understand that you want to see 9.6.1. I think that NT should do it, but if for some reason they cant, I would not be mad.
NewTek released a lot of free updates for LW9.
I think that despite some bugs LW9.6 is a pretty good release that you got basically for free.
While, I can understand that users are somewhat frustrated about the lack of progress with 9.6.1 but then I do not see anywhere that you are entitled to that update in any way. No software is bugfree and you wont get to many free updates for the competing packages either.

caesar
04-23-2011, 06:14 PM
I understand that you want to see 9.6.1. I think that NT should do it, but if for some reason they cant, I would not be mad.
NewTek released a lot of free updates for LW9.
I think that despite some bugs LW9.6 is a pretty good release that you got basically for free.
While, I can understand that users are somewhat frustrated about the lack of progress with 9.6.1 but then I do not see anywhere that you are entitled to that update in any way. No software is bugfree and you wont get to many free updates for the competing packages either.

While you're right about the free updates in v9 cycle, when NT announced 9.6.1 it created expectations...

Elmar Moelzer
04-23-2011, 07:07 PM
when NT announced 9.6.1 it created expectations
true

ben martin
04-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Not only announced... in fact they released it, but then refused to finish it.
How bad can this be?

It’s all a question of principles that transpires here.

We have not the right to claim about something they are not obligated to delivery, but when they told they will do it, was created a bound between the users and the developers and then... yup… they cut that bound.

If they can do such, not regarding they’re compromises, then they sure can do anything else in the future.

It’s like when someone promised to you:
“Count on me, I’ll be there for you!”… and then…. yeah… nice isn’t it?

Lightwolf
04-24-2011, 06:35 AM
While you're right about the free updates in v9 cycle, when NT announced 9.6.1 it created expectations...
Especially for OSX users, as NT announced a x64 version for the 9.x series - and 9.6.1 is that version.

Cheers,
Mike

caesar
05-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Nice video with Rob Powers in NAB about LW 10.1

http://www.cgw.com/Video-Center/General/NAB-2011-Rob-Powers-from-NewTek.aspx

caesar
05-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Nice video with Rob Powers in NAB about LW 10.1

http://www.cgw.com/Video-Center/General/NAB-2011-Rob-Powers-from-NewTek.aspx

Hey NT release that presentation here!!!