PDA

View Full Version : Adobe new rates?

calilifestyle
04-11-2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/11/adobe-unveils-creative-suite-subscription-editions-photoshop-for-50month/

calilifestyle
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
i take it you no longer can buy the software.

nickdigital
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I think the subscription is just an alternative to outright buying the software.

digitaldoc
04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Sure you can buy it.

Not seeing major enhancements in CS PP upgrade 5.5 worth $399.00.

hrgiger
04-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes, it says alternative so it appears you can still buy it.

Snosrap
04-11-2011, 08:25 PM
The bad thing about this over buying is that if you quit paying you have to quit using. With buying outright you can continue to use it long after your copy has been obsoleted by newer versions. I don't know about you guys, but I never keep my paint apps up to date. There usually just isn't enough improved upon from one version to the next to make it worth it. I usually upgrade every 2-3 upgrade cycles. Heck I just upgraded to CS5 from CS2 only because of issues with Win7 64, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. It is decent upgrade though, but again only because I'm comparing it to CS2.

Dexter2999
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Yes, but the good part is if you own the older version (like me) and get a newer asset. You could get the new version for a month and save as older version to make things workable.

artstorm
04-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Adding renting as an additional option is an excellent move by Adobe in my opinion.
Of course renting is more expensive than purchasing the product in the long run, and renting is not intended to replace purchasing.

But there are so many people who only needs some of these apps occasionally. Perhaps they get an AfterEffects project two times a year and so on, and having the possibility to simply rent the application at those occasions instead of having to shell out for the full package will probably be a much more economic solution. And if a small company simply needs AE once, they are probably tempted to get a pirated version for that time to make the project more profitable than having to buy a full package that will then sit and collect dust on a shelf. With renting I would like to believe Adobe kills those casual pirate situations as well.

There are a few applications (not Adobe), that I only use a few times a year, if even that, but I really need it at those times, which I'd love if I had a renting option instead of having to buy them.

Lamont
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Yes, but the good part is if you own the older version (like me) and get a newer asset. You could get the new version for a month and save as older version to make things workable.Exactly. I had a project where they sent over a hard drive full of 3DS Max files. I spent the better part of a week tracking someone down who I could trust to convert them for me the right way the first time. If I could have rented 3DS Max for a month, I could have saved myself some time and money.

I think it's a nice move by Adobe. As I don't use all their stuff, but if I need it it's good to know I can just drop a CC and get it for the duration of a project.

Lamont
04-12-2011, 07:38 AM
But some of the rates are sooo close to actually buying the app... just find the extra $100 bucks in some cases.

WillBellJr
04-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Adding renting as an additional option is an excellent move by Adobe in my opinion.
Of course renting is more expensive than purchasing the product in the long run, and renting is not intended to replace purchasing.

But there are so many people who only needs some of these apps occasionally. Perhaps they get an AfterEffects project two times a year and so on, and having the possibility to simply rent the application at those occasions instead of having to shell out for the full package will probably be a much more economic solution...

I absolutely agree.

Adobe had sent me a questionnaire last year or so asking what options would I choose showing different prices for purchases, upgrades and rentals.

I definitely chose the rentals for a lot of the selections.

I have Web Premium CS4, After Effects CS4 but poor Premiere was left at v2 (I mostly use Vegas Pro)

I didn't have a 64-bit box until the beginning of this year to warrant me upgrading my AfterFX but now I'm certainly interested.

My thing is, before my wifey, I used to take a lot of side jobs for video editing / compositing stuff, DVD authoring etc., now I don't like being locked away in the office as much as I used to, so buying these programs now are hardly worth it for me.

I could see myself renting Design Premium for a customer job etc.

Nice thing is, if you make enough money there's your upgrades!

I would love to see Amazon also come up with some kind of rental scheme.

I have a co-worker's book here at work I wouldn't mind having on my Kindle / Xoom for reading but I don't want to spring $32 for something I know I won't need on my own.

I buy many job related books that mesh with what kind of programming I also do at home (C#, WPF, Silverlight etc.,) but ASP.NET MVC, in this case I'd rather a digital rental...

-Will

Red_Oddity
04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I'll get excited when those brainless monkeys at Adobe come up to speed with the rest of the world when it comes to floating licenses (i guess they never heard of FlexLM)

Of course they'll probably never do floating licenses, as this it the perfect way to squeeze as much money as possible out of a market they have a monopoly over by overcharging for every workstation that needs a license, whether it is used continuously or not.

cresshead
04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Exactly. I had a project where they sent over a hard drive full of 3DS Max files. I spent the better part of a week tracking someone down who I could trust to convert them for me the right way the first time. If I could have rented 3DS Max for a month, I could have saved myself some time and money.

I think it's a nice move by Adobe. As I don't use all their stuff, but if I need it it's good to know I can just drop a CC and get it for the duration of a project.

if you ever need more 3dsmax scenes converting drop me an email :thumbsup:

virtualcomposer
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I would rather Adobe drop their prices to affordable prices. Even big businesses can't afford upgrades or outright buying these days because the economy is so bad. Screw renting, that doesn't seem to go towards a purchased copy, just lower the price to the economy standards.

JohnMarchant
04-13-2011, 09:23 AM
if you ever need more 3dsmax scenes converting drop me an email :thumbsup:

And cress thats the best way to do it. Help each other out with conversions and the like.

Lamont
04-13-2011, 09:31 AM
if you ever need more 3dsmax scenes converting drop me an email :thumbsup:Thanks, will remember :)