PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Messiah 5 PRO - Weight pain-tig in the a**!

ben martin
04-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Hi,

Am posting this here because I believe that a lot of Lightwave users didn’t let pass the opportunity to get a Messiah 5 Pro copy trough the PMG “Dare-to-Share” ($40) campaign.

It is indeed a good assembly team (Lightwave/ Messiah) but like everything else, it is not perfect, especially regarding Messiah Weight tools inability to recognize Lightwave Weight maps.

Am having this annoying problem working with Messiah.
In Lightwave, I can get the mesh deformation I need to this specific character.
(IMAGE_1B)

If the character leg is moved (in Lightwave) the armor mesh behaves like it should, because I defined Weight maps to the armor plates.
This way I avoid the armor plates to deform with the underneath suit mesh.
(IMAGE_2B)

Unfortunately, I am not very proficient animating in Lightwave so I bought a Messiah 5 Pro license ($40 bucks).
Now, I am fighting with messiah to weight paint the character armor plates to get the same result in messiah (like in Lightwave) but instead I get this:
(IMAGE_3B)

Is here any good soul that could help me to figure out how to solve this issue in messiah?

The messiah weight paint tool is confusing me a lot and it seems an impossible task to paint some armor plates that are overlapping other plates specially because there is no possibility to hide those armor mesh plates you don’t want to be affected (painted).

Anyone noticed the same problem and found a solution?

Please.

WCameron
04-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Import Weights? http://www.usefulslug.com/2011/03/import-weights/

- Will.

ben martin
04-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi,

Did you test it?

I already tried to use it with multiple weights (exported to ascii files from Lightwave) but Messiah refuses to apply the imported ascii files to the mesh. It says that the mesh file does not have the same number of points of the weight ascii file (or the other way around).

I guess this plugin works for single full weight maps aplied over a mesh.
If several weight maps are present in the same mesh/character, the plug-in creates individual ascii files (for each weight map present in the character) and then Messiah refuses to apply all individual generated ascii files to the character.

Other chance is that I am doing something wrong!? :twak:

Any thoughts? :hey:

ben martin
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Ok, I give it a second try and the plugin was now able to import all weight maps.

I was doing something wrong afer all! :twak:

I guess it was a problem with the exported (from Lightwave) "ascii" name file.
So this step is solved, now I only have to figure out how to apply the imported "ascii" weight files and set things in messiah in a way allowing the bones to deform the mesh like it is supposed to; but that’s another completely different story!

Thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

wesleycorgi
04-12-2011, 12:50 AM
I've been looking at some tutorials by Joe Cosman from lulu.com. I'm far from being an expert, but I found the use of metaeffectors to be more intuitive than weight maps. If you search Joe Cosman on Youtube and Vimeo, you will find a few of his tutorials that are very helpful. Also, check out his blog: http://joecosman.blogspot.com/2011/03/messiahs-metaeffectors.html

I was rigging a spider in LW, but started over again in Messiah after going over his tutes.

ben martin
04-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Well,
Yes! I still bang my head against the wall here! :bangwall:
I really need to understand this weight issues in Messiah and how to better solve my problems. All I've tried so far, is a NO-GO!

Will do a search about "Joe Cosman".

Thanks for the tip.