PDA

View Full Version : More Hardware Questions from the cheapskate

MichaelBeck
10-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Well here I go again.. lets see if I can avoid getting any nasty letters from dealers like last time.

I have four 1.3 GHz Xeon MP CPU's.
I got them for not much.. and I may be able to sell them for a bit more than I bought them for.

Anyway..

What I want to know is, will these guys do as well or better than two say 1.4 Xeon DP's?

I can't find any info about Xeon MP's on workstations.. My guess is that these are not used on workstations because they are so much more expensive..

Will the MP's just not work well with the toaster and other video/3D apps.. or will it work just fine?

Thanks!

Dan Hong
10-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Xeons and the VT system are happy campers. You'd probably like to have a bit more than 1.4 though. VT2 would probably do fairly well, but VT3 likes a bit more juice. All the systems we've put out until now have been dual Athlon or Xeon. We've just released a single processor system with a P4 3.2 and an 800 mhz front side bus. It's rocking pretty well with the VT3 system.

MichaelBeck
10-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Yeah.. I am talking about dual or Quad Xeon MP's.. would the toaster benifet from a quad setup?

Peter Palesh
10-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Dan (or anyone)

Does a dual Athlon system work well with VT3?

MichaelBeck
10-03-2003, 11:17 AM
I am no expert.. and if they work in real life I don't know.. but they are not listed in the supported hardware..

I have a question to add to the athlon.. what about opturon? would 64 bit help at all? or the 64 bit athlons for that matter.

kleima
10-03-2003, 01:34 PM
I don't think Windows 2000 is capable of four processors. I believe you would have to run W2k Server. I have not heard of anyone using either Server, or Quad processors for the VT, but we're all interested in hearing how it works for you!! :)

See: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11827

Jim_C
10-03-2003, 01:39 PM
"Note: VideoToaster 3 relies on the cutting-edge performance of the SSE2 instruction set, and so requires the Intel P4 or AMD Opteron CPU. "

An inexpensive and still plenty powerful enough system could go like this:
(This is mine at home, runs T3 fine)

supermicro p4dce+ board
dual xeons (1.8 at home, but go higher)
big supermicro case comes with power supply and holds 6 drives
gig of rdram
LSI or adaptec scsi adaptor. The p4dce+ doesnt have an onboard, the slighlty more p4dc6 or sumthing does
throw scsi drives and a couple ide's in the case and take off.
I added 4 15k ibm deskstars, nbo problem with them at all and I get 110+ on autoconfigs. My procs are holding me back if anything is.

Sure its not the ultimate board, but it is ROCK solid, handles the T3 beast fine and I bet cruising ebay and other sites you can put that together fairly inexpensively.

just throwing that out there.

jim

MichaelBeck
10-03-2003, 02:27 PM
well I will have to wait till I get the toaster..

plus.. I think I am going to try to sell the CPU's..
If I still have them and descide to drop the cash on the quad mobo.. I will let you know!