PDA

View Full Version : Best practices for texture baking?

OlaHaldor
04-10-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm trying over and over again to understand rendering for texture baking.

I have a model, I have made a UV map for the model using 3D Coat, all looks fine.

In Layout I assign different textures for each surface (concrete, asphalt, roof etc) and hit render. Things look nice - but there are a couple of odd things going on.

I have a staircase on one side of the building. The shadow of this staircase is rendered on a polygon that has nothing to do with that side of the building at all. It looks very odd when you look at the model with the baked texture applied - shadow of an invisible staircase..

So far what I've found is that it depends on where I put my camera. But where should I put the camera to bake it properly?

The model+texture is going to a game engine.

Danner
04-10-2011, 09:06 AM
I've baked a ton of things in LW and never had to move the camera for baking.. From your description I can guess 3 possible causes, but I might be totally off.

1. Turn on "use behind test" on your radiosity settings so the radiosity is more sensitive to things that are on top of each other. (takes longer to render).

2. your surface baking camera settings could have the "offset from surface" too high

3. your UVs have a problem where two poligons are using the same space.

OlaHaldor
04-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Forgot to mention. I use Kray for this. I like the way it renders much better. I'll see if I can post an image of my problem soon.

Simon-S
04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I think danner is right... If you have perhaps duplicated part of your model so two or more bits of your model share the same UV space then your bake will have errors such as you've mentioned, as LW is trying to bake different lighting or shadows onto the same UV space.

OlaHaldor
04-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Nothing is overlapping each other in the UV. I made the UV map in 3D Coat, and as far as I've seen, 3D Coat is superior to whatever tools that come with LW out of the box.