PDA

View Full Version : Temples found on Mars

m1j
04-10-2011, 07:20 AM
This started as two different modelling projects. The rover was an idea I had and started working on. I got about half way through it and got stumped an the details. Then I had another concept pop into my head of the arched domes. So I built a few until I got all the curves the way I liked. They where different enough that being on Mars seemed proper so the two where combined. The the hard part. The rocks.

Mruk
04-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah, i liked Mars related topics.
For rocks use dpinstance ( http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/DP_Instance.html )
For surface texture use mix of dunes and rock procedural shaders ( http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm ).
I like the rover, keep going with this.

m1j
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
I started out with DPinstance but got a lot of crashes. My rocks are voxels. I will have to try the dune/rock mix to see if the ground can be improoved.

shrox
04-11-2011, 03:21 PM
...My rocks are voxels...

I use HVs for rocks too. But I often get weird artifacts if it's an animation.

I've done lots or renders of Mars for NASA, and it seems everyone has different idea of the color of Mars, even though we have photographs. You have the salmon colored Mars there, looks nice.

m1j
04-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I use HVs for rocks too. But I often get weird artifacts if it's an animation.

I've done lots or renders of Mars for NASA, and it seems everyone has different idea of the color of Mars, even though we have photographs. You have the salmon colored Mars there, looks nice.

i was using photos and trying to get the correct color. It seems that depending on the photo the ground is dark red/brown or a light red/brown. Mine IMO is a little too pink.

Given your activity in producing Mars images for NASA how close am I?

shrox
04-12-2011, 11:05 AM
i was using photos and trying to get the correct color. It seems that depending on the photo the ground is dark red/brown or a light red/brown. Mine IMO is a little too pink.

Given your activity in producing Mars images for NASA how close am I?

Kind of like Earth, it depends upon the time of day, where on the planet, how dusty it is etc. Yours is similar to the Viking 2 site in it's salmon color, some areas are dark brown, others have a greenish tinge.