PDA

View Full Version : CCTV as texture question ..

archijam
04-10-2011, 02:56 AM
I would like to follow this process:
- bring a terrain model into LW
- use the terrain model in the render window, but off-frame render the terrain model with a b/w gradient
- use CCTV to capture that gradient and plug the result into the displacement of an object

Is this possible? the reason why i would do this is that i can load ANY landscape mesh and have it work, and that I can animate the mesh displacement, or morph it, and the height map will automatically adjust.

But how can I plug the CCTV result into the texture (displacement) channel of an object?

Only possible with nodes?

Thanks!

archijam
04-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Was this really such a stupid (or awesome) question :)?

3DGFXStudios
04-11-2011, 03:25 AM
I think you can't. The CCTV shader isn't meant for that. I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve but I think there are other ways to do it. ;)

archijam
04-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Basically i have a landscape mesh, and objects that move over it.

The mesh is a mesh, it can't really be generated BY a height map and have the same detail. But the objects are morphed in 2D, and need a displacement map to make them follow the surface.

Therefore I need to be able to generate a height map 'on the fly', singe my mesh will be distorted DURING the animation. therefore the displacement map must also distort ..

It may be unconventional, but it makes sense to me :)

Here is an example ..

http://www.jmla.eu/video/arrow_test_terrain.m4v

Both terrain and arrow are generated by displacement .. now I want the terrain to 'generate' the displacement map of the object travelling over it ...

3DGFXStudios
04-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Why do you want to generate a map on the fly? You can also render a depth map from the model you want the snake objects to be on and use that as displacement for the snakes. Or maybe you can use the sticky plugin.