PDA

View Full Version : LW 10 and Win7

Fausto
04-09-2011, 11:44 PM
You know what would be really useful? If Lightwave was able to take advantage of some of the really good things built in to Windows 7. For instance, it would be terrific if the jump lists worked off the Layout and Modelor icons. In Photoshop or most other applications that I use everyday, right clicking on the taskbar icon presents a list of recent files, some of which have been specifically pinned to the top of the list so I don't have to go hunting for them through Photoshop's open dialogue box. In Lightwave (Modelor), the list is present, but clicking on any recent object file doesn't open the document, it simply opens the application with an empty document. Of course this makes the appearance of the jump list useless. In Layout, the behaviour is even more bizarre. Rather than opening the file or starting with a blank layout document, opening a recent file using the jump list generates an error message (Unknown scene file format). I'm not sure what's happening here, but I would suggest it's a bug... So Newtek, could you guys/gals add this to your to do list for any update forthcoming? It shouldn't be that difficult to do, I mean nearly every other application on the planet has this functionality.

XswampyX
04-10-2011, 02:45 AM
It works fine on my Win7, It must be your system. :(

ToMar
04-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Works fine here as well. I don't think it's the reason, but according to the system specs in your sig, service pack 1 is missing.

funk
04-10-2011, 08:49 AM
This is because there are spaces in the path for the file. Youll have the same problem double clicking the files in explorer too. I have already reported this on fogbugz, but you can fix it yourself with regedit (or another application) if you want. See this thread:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117508

The problem is due to errors in the registry (created by the lw10 installer?) at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NewTek.LWHC.10.0.lwo\shell\open\ command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NewTek.LWHC.10.0.lws\shell\open\ command
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\NewTek.LWHC.10 .0.lwo\shell\open\command
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\NewTek.LWHC.10 .0.lws\shell\open\command

They show up as:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave10.0\bin\Layout.exe" %1

but should be:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave10.0\bin\Layout.exe" "%1"

Note the QUOTES around %1

Fausto
04-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys, that fixed the problem! So the remedy for Newtek looks to be even easier going forward...

@ ToMar: I do have SP1 installed... just haven't updated my Sig.