PDA

View Full Version : Need help with humanoid rigging/hair/clothes

adaminator1
04-09-2011, 09:37 PM
...Okay, so i've hit a bit of a roadblock. At first, I thought getting Makehuman was the best thing I could do... Now I realize that I have no idea on how to rig it properly, clothes and all, and I don't even know how to get semi-realistic hair in, even with Sasquatch! I also suck at Eye texturing. What I want to get to be able to make is a properly rigged, clothed, and textured human, for use in a web series that I am currently planing on making.

So... Umm... I kinda need some help here, guys. I know how to model, but not how to set models up right for rigging, or do the rigging properly with a Makehuman model... I'm at a roadblock, and I need your help! I've tried several times but each resulted in ungodly amounts of model deformation probably due to my weightmaps not being set up properly and... Ugh.... I really need help here. I've tried everything I can think of, and I really am just a novice at this... I would appreciate the help, LW Community! ^_^

Thanks in advance,
The Adaminator

nickdigital
04-09-2011, 09:45 PM
For rigging you could get this. You could either get the auto-rigger or get the tutorials if you want to learn it yourself.
http://rebelhill.net/html/rhiggit.html

There's also this but I've never used it but there are users on here who swear by it.
http://stillwaterpictures.com/maestro/

Do your characters have a lot of loose clothes are can they be part of the rig? If they're loose you'll have to futz with dynamics.

Sasquatch is good for hair. What problems are you having? Just be forewarned that Sasquatch hair doesn't reflect. Have you played with FiberFX? There's also the hair poly trick which can create good results if done right.

Can you be more specific about your eye problem? It's such a vague complaint that my response would be to just reference or use photos if it's a texture problem.

adaminator1
04-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Well, all my eyes are plain and not really realistic, just the color and then the pupil, not really any depth or realism. Do you have any eye textures that would work for a spherical eye? If so, that would really help. ^_^

And yeah, I've got a couple female characters who wear skirts... How would I be able to do that? :3

Also, D'you know another program for rigging that's free? >_<

nickdigital
04-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Your eye issue sounds like it's a texture or painting issue along with a surface setting issue. Have you tried looking for tutorials or image reference?
I found this tutorial just doing a quick Google search.
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/antro_eye2/antro_eyetex_01.php

There's ClothFX. Do all the animation first and then do all the cloth simulation. Don't try to do both at the same time. Get the character performance done first.

adaminator1
04-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the help ^_^

You sure you don't know about a free rigging program?

nickdigital
04-09-2011, 10:39 PM

Well if you do it yourself then it's free. ;D The two that I mentioned earlier are pretty robust and I don't believe are very expensive.

jeric_synergy
04-09-2011, 10:46 PM
It'd be a lot easier to help you if you'd post some shots.

Rigging, Texturing, are such a broad topics it's like posting "I need help with ........Lightwave!"

adaminator1
04-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Okay, here's a shot of my most recent attempt.

http://i55.tinypic.com/izypuu.png

((Supposed to be a catgirl. Don't ask.))

vector
04-10-2011, 01:01 AM
This book explain how to manage skirts... cg skirts, of course...

http://www.amazon.com/LightWave-Cartoon-Character-Creation-Animation/dp/1556222548

RebelHill
04-10-2011, 04:51 AM

Well if you're a good little boy and wait a few days/week there'll be a free edition of RHiggit released...

Whereas if you're a bad little boy and keep on bumping CRACK request threads... folks are gonna come down on you like a ton of bricks, my ol' son.

Capisci?

lino.grandi
04-10-2011, 07:07 AM
whereas if you're a bad little boy and keep on bumping crack request threads... Folks are gonna come down on you like a ton of bricks, my ol' son.

Capisci?

LoL :D

jimiclaybrooks
04-10-2011, 08:10 AM
adaminator1
Most of us have spent many many hours learning how to rig a character, and its really worth the time and effort to learn how to at least do a simple rig. If you haven't seen Rebelhills tut on rigging, I strongly suggest you find a way to get to it. It will help you immeasurably.
Rebelhill,
I got your series on rigging, and it was one of the best investments I've even made. I do have to say, in all honesty, the rig you created in the tut isn't the best one for animating only because its sooooo heavy. I do hope that the free rig you'll be offering will be a bit lighter, cause I'm hard pressed to find an alternative to Maestro, and I do like to have other options. I'm assuming that it will be a auto rigger, or am I just making an *** our of u and me?

RebelHill
04-10-2011, 08:31 AM
yes indeed, the rigs in the tuts are VERY heavy indeed... but that's down to a couple of things.

First off, as the vids progress through making the rigs mroe, and mroe stuff gets added to the initial, basic rig, so ofc when building your own you can stop at any point. Also the rigs produced in the vids aren't really intended as guides on "here's how to build a rig start to finsish"... they're much more... experimental, the idea being to show how all the different ideas for control systems can be created, and layered together, to try and teach folks how to rig overall, rather than how to copy just one type of rig.

The autorigger contains different rig teplates for applying to your characters, from faster, simpler rigs, to heavier slower ones, so as folks can use whatever suits the given character/shot/project.

The free version will be a Tpose rigger for the lightest, the basic biped, IK legs, FK everything else.

jimiclaybrooks
04-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Understood, I guess my problem is, I want the most features on every rig, and that really isn't how things should work. A rig should be practical, so that it meets the needs/demands of the scene. You really don't need, nor can u use the same rig for every scene. I get that. So I do understand.
And thanks again.

adaminator1
04-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Well if you're a good little boy and wait a few days/week there'll be a free edition of RHiggit released...

Whereas if you're a bad little boy and keep on bumping CRACK request threads... folks are gonna come down on you like a ton of bricks, my ol' son.

Capisci?

What.

*Shifty eyes*

Also, Free edition?