Ryste3d
04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
More info:help:

inakito
04-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Can u not use hardlink?

stiff paper
04-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Does the piece of string "stretch" like elastic, or is it non-elastic, like real string, and more string comes out from point 2?

Another way of asking the same thing: is the string a straight line from point 2 to point 1, or is it "floppy"?

Ryste3d
04-10-2011, 06:19 AM
Yes that would be the case, but the illution is that this in a "normal" non elastic 20 m long string coming out of an emergency box.

yes the string "stretch" and more string comes out from point 2.

The string is a 2-point poly with 200 point in between and it work fine with the SoftFX applied to it

If I have the ball and the string in the same layer, a fix on point 1 and then apply SoftFX it works, except for the ball starts deforming.

stiff paper
04-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Can't you put them on separate layers and in Layout use something like, say... umm... anchor, and anchor a null onto the ball, then use the null as the "attach" point to the ball?

(I confess I've basically zero experience with softFX, so I'm probably no help whatsoever with this, but I could see there was some vagueness with what was meant to happen, hence I asked the question...)

XswampyX
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Use this :- MAKEPATH

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/ObjProp.jpg

Apply it to your ball after you have animated it bounce around. This will give you a null that follows the ball. Just attach your string to this null. :)

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BallNString.jpg

Ryste3d
04-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Thank you... This is just grate :bowdown:

But how do I link the end of the rope to the ball? And did you use ClothFX on the rope? How did you make the rope?

This is embarassing, but I simply just don't know.

Would you share your scene files:)

XswampyX
04-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Here you go....

You might have trouble working it out, as it's a work in progress. Some of the point groups weren't used (I was trying stuff out!)

Have fun.

WilliamVaughan
04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
there are some sample scenes that shipped with LW 8.0 that had this setup.

THREEL
04-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Also, you can go to the General Techniques, Tips & Tricks part of the forum where there are many tutorials created by William. It's a sticky thread created by William about hours of LightWAVE training. Go to the first post by Chuck and you'll see these tutorials broken down by category. Under layout you'll find one dealing with how to animate a hose. I think this could help you as well.