PDA

View Full Version : Question about a computer decision...

virtualcomposer
04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Hey Everyone,
I was just going to ask if you think there's going to be much of a speed change traditionally with high end Imacs worth waiting 1-2 months for on the Imac Sandy Bridge chip? The small screen size on my laptop is affecting my ability to do 3D and compose music since the programs are so small and end up giving me headaches bending my head to get close to the screen. I also compose music but since the computer is over top of my keyboard, the computer is quite a bit far away and I get headaches which totally knocks my creativity out the window. I was worried about getting the current Imac and then they come out with something twice as fast which would be perfect for faster rendering but I just don't know when it's coming out and it's affecting my ability to work efficiently. What do you think? I really tempted to sell my laptop now and order then current IMac that is the fastest I7 chip and 16GB of Ram. What do you think? Another thing is that I have a client that is good friends with a couple producers at Dreamworks looking for a composer in a few weeks as well and don't want to blow the opportunity because I'm waiting. What are your thoughts? If traditionally the IMacs only get a 15% speed boost then it's not worth waiting nor is thunderbolt to be honest.

virtualcomposer
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Why can't you just get a large screen LCD (or LED) monitor and plug it into your laptop? That way you could place the monitor anywhere where it's convenient and you won't have to bend over to view it easily.

Because the power is not there render wise and I can run to many audio tracks at the same. The Imacs can handle this already. I notice allot of processor peaks on my dual processor which is a problem.

Dexter2999
04-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Personally, I never buy into "bleeding edge" tech. You are just paying through the nose for bragging rights that expire in 6 months.

What audio software are you using that is multicore aware? Last I checked ProTools isn't. Not even true 64bit, so I don't see that helps buffer under run errors.

virtualcomposer
04-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Personally, I never buy into "bleeding edge" tech. You are just paying through the nose for bragging rights that expire in 6 months.

What audio software are you using that is multicore aware? Last I checked ProTools isn't. Not even true 64bit, so I don't see that helps buffer under run errors.

Digital Performer 7 and my plugins are heavy on multicore processing.

Dexter2999
04-07-2011, 09:43 PM
So you are using a MOTU interface?

virtualcomposer
04-07-2011, 09:51 PM
So you are using a MOTU interface?

No, I'm using a Focusrite Saphire 14 since the MOTU interfaces are twice as expensive. It works really great!! I've never had a glitching issue on my 2006 Mac Pro quad but my laptop is just not handling the load and it's much slower on render time. I believe the IMac of today top of the line is faster then the Mac Pros of 2 years or so ago. I've checked that site out and they do seem to extremely fast.

JonW
04-07-2011, 11:33 PM
I do everything on a Mac except LW.

Mini + 30" Dell 3011, & it runs at 2560 x 1600 (changed the HD & ram myself, bought these from a PC shop)
PC + 30" Dell 3008 & got my old Mac Dual 533 plugged into it as well (but it will only run at 1920 x 1200)

Currently using my Dell 24" as a TV monitor but it was connected to both Macs.

If you have the work & need more horse power get a computer now or get a large screen for more real estate, it's a tax deduction anyway. It doesn't matter how long you wait for a new box it will be out of date when you buy it.

virtualcomposer
04-08-2011, 12:53 AM
I do everything on a Mac except LW.

Mini + 30" Dell 3011, & it runs at 2560 x 1600 (changed the HD & ram myself, bought these from a PC shop)
PC + 30" Dell 3008 & got my old Dual 533 plugged into it as well (but it will only run at 1920 x 1200)

Currently using my Dell 24" as a TV monitor but it was connected to both Macs.

If you have the work at need more horse power get a computer now or get a large screen for more real estate, its a tax deduction anyway. It doesn't matter how long you wait for a new box it will be out of date when you buy it.

LOL! Quite true. I've decided to put my Macbook Pro on Ebay and after the sale, I'll purchase the IMac that's available. Sometimes, time is more important then a 15% speed boost. :thumbsup:

ingo
04-08-2011, 01:23 AM
What a wise decision :D Just looking at barefeets.com the 17" MBP with the new I7 with 2.3 GHz is as fast as the iMac with the "old" I7 at 2.9 GHz, in Cinebench that is.