PDA

View Full Version : LW8 use the same basic HyperVoxels as 7.5?

VWTornado
10-02-2003, 02:39 PM
I am looking into getting some training videos from Desktop Images on HyperVoxels in 7.5. I'm just curious if anyone knows if these videos will still be good for LW8 HVs?

Thanks

WCameron
10-02-2003, 03:09 PM
well they'll have backwards compatability with the 'old' ik system
in 7.5 so I'd venture to say they'll be bcompatability with Hypervoxels if they substantially update it.

and if they do update it and rip out any adjustment facility for
Legacy scenes (cough cough steamer cough cough) I hope somebody cuffs 'em about the head a few times and repeatedly says "No!" in a loud commanding tone of voice.

Oh and they should add Steamer back in too :-)

- Will.

cresshead
10-02-2003, 04:36 PM
so what's so good about steamer....i came in with lightwave7.0..
although i now also have lightwave5.6 so i could use steamer if i knew just what it did...!!

[newtek europe sent me lw5.6 so i could use lightscape, it's tied to my usb dongle as well as lw7.5]

cheers
steve g

Bytehawk
10-02-2003, 04:46 PM
steamer is better at smokey things, like cigarette smoke, light fog etc...

it also had a really handy doubler feature, nowadays you have to render in passes if you want to render out HV's at 1/2 rez. Wich isn't too bad since I got DFX+ anyway plus you get some added control over how the final scene blends together.

Would love to get steamr back though.

EyesClosed
10-02-2003, 11:29 PM
LightWave 8 clearly needs hardware renderable Hypervoxels added. Who wants to wait hours to render a some stinkings smoke or something, when it could easily be done in a few short minutes? :D

facial deluxe
10-03-2003, 12:24 AM
If you're rendering HV sprites, for smoke things, you can render them damn fast. Mines are rendering at pal res in something between 10 to 30 sec.
How ? Render them separatly, with mate object (if there's a model to merge with). Secret is just set AA to OFF --> 1 Pass :)

I found no difference between OFF AA 1 pass and Enhanced LOW AA 5 Passes when rendering HV sprites :D

trick
10-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Let's hope INO (the new NT dynamics guy) integrates his JetstreamFX and all your nostalgic Steamer feelings will be long gone !!!!

BTW: JetstreamFX is OpenGL based: this means it does NOT render, it's just THERE !!!

Exper
10-03-2003, 04:07 AM
It's time for HV, Steamer and JetstreamFX: let users use what they prefer! ;)

Bye.

mattbolton
10-03-2003, 09:01 AM
I recently started using 5.6 and have 7.5 on the way. On the Desktop Images video introduction for 5.6, I saw some references to Steamer, and I liked what I saw. What was it replaced with in newer versions? Can I create the same type of effects in 7.5? Thanks.

anieves
10-03-2003, 03:56 PM
HV are WAY more powerful than steamer was, WAY more. HV replaced Steamer. Effects like fog and smoke are far better looking with HV's; whispy smoke like cigarette smoke is something that could be improved in the "Smoke department" but this effect was even more of a challenge with steamer. And tell me how many times are you really going to do effects like cigarette smoke anyway? :p

Why would you want a piece of old code back into LW? I really don't get it.

harlan
10-04-2003, 02:09 AM
Well I think the majority of the fascination with Steamer was that for most situations, it was almost a "magic button" - whereas in HV you have to tweak.

Personally, I like Steamer, but HV is WAY more versatile and configurable. Control/Capability is a good thing even at the cost of speed.

WCameron
10-04-2003, 08:23 AM
and since the code is still in there, lacking only an interface to get to it, it would be nice to have a choice.

- Will.

Exper
10-06-2003, 02:11 AM
Steamer, although less powerful, is really useful for volumes surrounding objects, smokes and other things!

Now one says Steamer is better than HV (different usage for both of them) but simply we want choose in a project by project basis!

Probably NT doesn't own the copyright on Steamer's code; otherwise it'd be quite easy to insert it again! :(

Bye.

deemon
10-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by anieves
HV are WAY more powerful than steamer was, WAY more. HV replaced Steamer. Effects like fog and smoke are far better looking with HV's; whispy smoke like cigarette smoke is something that could be improved in the "Smoke department" but this effect was even more of a challenge with steamer. And tell me how many times are you really going to do effects like cigarette smoke anyway? :p

Why would you want a piece of old code back into LW? I really don't get it.

Apparently you either haven't used Steamer much, or your tasks don't require effects that Steamer was good at. Neither HV, nor build-in LW 6.0+ volumetric is no replacement for most of the great effect Steamer did. And I don't mean just whispy smoke -- I mean everything: starting from fog/mist effects which unlike what we have now could render fast and with predictable result, to simple volume lights effects, which maybe were slower than build-in volumetrics now, but at least had correctly working opacity and falloff functions.

Bytehawk
10-06-2003, 05:35 PM
I would like to add this is not some kind of nostalgia thing. I really miss steamer and its doubler in the current releases. I can't imagine any reason why we couldn't have the interface on steamer back and would like to ask : why not ?