PDA

View Full Version : Helping a friend w/o internet access...

vanguard
10-02-2003, 02:32 PM
OK so this guy captures like 5 hours of DV through fire wire, and the audio is totally weird...

The audio is mighty slow, like tape recorded at 15ips and played back at 3.5ips

The video is correct, and looks pretty spiffy.

So, what am I doing wrong?

I don't use DV at all in our application, so I'm out of my range here a bit.

Thanks

Dan Hong
10-02-2003, 11:51 PM
The ultimate best solution would be to capture uncompressed. That's a lot of footage though. DV is such a freaky animal, there are 20 different flavors. VT seems to enjoy the Main Concept codec best. I'm not sure about the double speed recording, but losing synch on long clips is a known issue with VT2. VT3 addresses this with a whole different scheme for handling DV. If you're not already on VT3 and you're doing a lot of DV, it's really worth the investment (there's also about 6000 other benefits to upgrading).

mgrusin
10-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Are you capturing using DV Type 1, or Type 2? I believe Type 2 is the one you should be using. Even then I have noticed some audio sync problems in VT2, but they're minor compared to what you're seeing.

Try capturing small clips using different settings until you know everything's working, then do your big captures.

If you can't get it working, an alternate solution would be to capture analog (via S-video), not digital (via Firewire). It will bypass many of the problems you're seeing. The choice then is to capture into uncompressed format (80GB per hour) or a compressed format such as DV (12GB per hour). Decide based on how much storage you have and how much footage you need to store; for example, if you need to make a high-quality 30-second commercial from 10 minutes of takes, go uncompressed. For a 2-hour birthday party, go DV.

If you do want to capture analog to DV (I do it all the time, it's great), and you're not planning on upgrading to VT3 soon, I highly recommend purchasing the Mainconcept DV codec ($50). It works much better than the Microsoft DV codecs which came with your system. (This codec is included with VT3, but that point may be moot since VT3 also does firewire transfers much better than VT2).

Good luck! -MG