PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk called me today after downloading demo

DonJMyers
04-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Yesterday, Tuesday, I downloaded a free sample of 3d studio max for thirty days. At the Hollywood fx house where I work we just needed to translate some 3d objects to Lightwave and they were in 3D max ten. THeir proprietary object format is VERY proprietary.

Then today I got a follow up call from a sales person at AutoDesk asking me how it went and so forth. You have to give them your phone no. to get the 30 day demo.

I told her we were a Lightwave house and just downloaded it for conversion purposes for 30 days. She thanked me anyway.

It seemed odd to get a phone call after downloading software. Does this mean they are desperate for customers or have already taken over the world?

PS I'm sure it's a competent product but it took FOREVER to install.

shermanlu
04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Yes, Autodesk takes over the world, so we have to live underground...^^!!!
Hope the day of Light(wave) will shine in the near future!

JeffrySG
04-06-2011, 11:10 AM
That's great customer/sales service if you ask me.

Iain
04-06-2011, 11:51 AM
That's been their approach for some time.

Max is a continually developing product and if you hadn't used it for a while and tried a demo you might just be in 'impressed' mode and agree to a purchase (if the firm's paying.)

Titus
04-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I think this is good, specially from a huge company like AD. I usually receive persnalized e-mails from small companies like Next Limit when the demo version expires.

Dexter2999
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Most likely they are following up on the professional/shop user. One test could turn into ten seats pretty quickly.

I don't remember ever getting a follow up for a student/hobbiest download.

GandB
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
I got just such a phone call from a C4D rep some years ago, right at my house!

kopperdrake
04-06-2011, 02:15 PM
We got follow up calls after downloading Inventor from the AD site a few months ago. Plus we also got follow up calls after ordering it from an AD associate distributor we found independently from the AD 'mother' site. After calling around several distributors, checking prices out, it didn't take long for the various AD people to cotton on and decide amongst themselves which distributor would reel us in and sell us Inventor, for the price they were most happy to sell it to us for, which was around 10% less than published list price. They were happy, we were happy (until someone here points out they got 20% off), and I've been impressed with the follow up support from them to date, though we didn't buy into the 'maintenance' style offer - we just took the hard, cold 'buy' and be damned approach. We might upgrade in 3 or 4 years, but it wasn't worth forking out a yearly fee. We need to be compatible with ourselves inhouse and that's that.

All this being said, I still wouldn't/couldn't bring myself to turn to Max as an animation/modelling tool, even if a trio (things look better in threes) of AD-sponsored boozed-up chocolate-coated lapdancers descended on us, wearing (very) revealing stringy things declaring they were a special AD 'Try Before You Buy' offer.

Partly because I know another AD rep would offer us the same boozed-up chocolate-coated lapdancing tryptych for 10% less if I could be bothered to shop around, but mainly because I'm not quite ready to do the dirty on LightWave - she's been a good mistress to me and mine.

monovich
04-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Modo gave me a followup call once, and I rather appreciated it. I actually told them I could use more time on the demo and they extended the license another 30 days and offered links to tutorials, etc. I think its a good practice.

that said, I didn't end up buying modo ;)

Netvudu
04-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I heard from someone at The Mill that one of their problems when AD bought XSI was that the people answering the tech support calls at Autodesk sounded way too similar to the people selling the package...meaning they got no friggin´idea on anything remotely technical. They were salesmen.

Snosrap
04-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I told her we were a Lightwave house and just downloaded it for conversion purposes for 30 days. She thanked me anyway.

Did she even know what Lightwave was? :D

cresshead
04-09-2011, 06:29 AM
btw anyone using an old 3dsmax 2011 demo installer PLEASE be aware it's a slow dog of a thing compared to max 2009 and the current 3dsmax2012 which appears to be back to normal in the speed stakes and hi poly handling.

WillBellJr
04-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Oh well, they gonna disable the exports now after this LOL...

-Will

vector
04-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, I received years ago a phone call here in Spain from a LW reseller when I asked for prizes via email... not bad pre-customer service. It worked because I decided to be a LWer and buy the soft...

Vector

prometheus
04-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I got a call here in sweden when I downloaded autodesk design products, unfortunatly the demos from the site just didnt install at all, zippo nothing happened when the installers were executed, I gave up on that..and some months after that I got a call from a swedish autodesk office and a girl asked me the same about how it worked out.

so I mentioned that I just could get the demo installers to work and gave up on it, and I mentioned that I use lightwave currently both at home and at work.

And yeah she didn´t sound that familiar with lightwave.

Michael

TeZzy
04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
That's pretty good to follow up.

Sad isn't it? My work mate called up the reseller for 3d software here in nz and asked for additional lightwave licenses. The operator answered and said something along the lines of "do people still use lightwave?" because apparently they haven't sold any copies in a while.

inakito
04-09-2011, 06:56 PM
I love being underground... xD