PDA

View Full Version : LW 10 & FPrime

stevenpalomino
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Hello everyone,

I haven't done much time to do testing but has anyone found much difference between FPrime and the new LW 10 VPR? Does FPrime work in LW 10 smoothly?

I know some of you have probably done some testing on what FP is better at than VPR :D

Thanks in advance!

ericsmith
04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I did some comparison testing, and found FPrime to be around 4 times faster than VPR in draft mode, and around 30 times faster than in VPR non-draft mode.

So FPrime definitely has a huge advantage when it comes to speed.

Eric

jasonwestmas
04-05-2011, 09:01 PM
VPR works faster with the volumetrics stuff than Fprime does ime. You need G2 to do gamma color corrections with Fprime; whereas you only need vpr and the color space options to view sRGB.

stevenpalomino
04-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys. I'm writing this stuff down to keep in mind. Very valuable info :)

Bona
04-06-2011, 12:25 AM
And still no news on FPrime update, guess they're still waiting for NT to finalize the SDK .....

Known LightWave Issues from Worely since 2009 :compbeati

LightWave UB has severe efficiency problems during multithreaded SDK queries. Because of this, FPrime UB currently supports only 2 cores on Mac UB. Newtek is working on this issue now for the next update to LW 9.6.
LW does not emit notifications for non-numeric values in HyperVoxels panels. This means that many changes to HV settings will require pressing the FPrime refresh button in order for the changes to be seen in FPrime.
LightWave does not give FPrime proper object shape information when the camera is in Bounding Box view, or when per-object Hidden or Bounding Box mode is selected. A workaround is to just turn off Bounding Box mode and use any other mode, and reload the scene.
The LW SDK does not support Precomputed Nodes for 3rd party renderers, so FPrime cannot support Fast Skin, Occlusion II, Sigma 2, SSS or SSS 2 nodes.

IMHO, if there'll be no FPrime support in the future, either NT or Worley should make an announcement asap.

monovich
04-07-2011, 12:50 PM
All I can think of is that Worley made a ton of cash off of FPrime and he doesn't need the money. Or who knows, maybe he is writing custom software for studios or other packages. Has anyone heard ANYTHING out of him in the last few years?

Still love FPrime though.

Snosrap
04-08-2011, 09:43 AM
You need G2 to do gamma color corrections with Fprime; Could you please explain this in furthur detail. Where in G2 are those controls? Much thanks.

Pavlov
04-08-2011, 10:36 AM
i'm curious as well about fprime. Still it has an unique quality, imho. If Worley could update it with a good instancing engine and true displacement, it would be a killer engine again. Worley, please.... throw us a sign ;)

Paolo

jasonwestmas
04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Could you please explain this in furthur detail. Where in G2 are those controls? Much thanks.

It's all in the image processing tab within the master control G2 panel.

ctrl F8.

stevenpalomino
04-08-2011, 02:33 PM
yeah FPrime is one of the main reasons I stick to LW. the progressive rendering is just so valuable to me. It'd be great if someone even bought worley tech and just continued on with it! Something at least!