PDA

View Full Version : LW+VideoEditing=Please Help

calico
10-02-2003, 01:14 PM
OK guys,
here is something I've been fighting with for last 5 days. I just don't get it.

I created bunch of movies in LW and checked each of them in QT (frame by frame). Every frame is perfect.

I imported those in to Premiere, overlapped them on three tracks, used alpha channel, made a preview and checked it - frame by frame - and everything looked fine.

From here on, whatever 'export' settings I used (QT Movie or Image Sequence), I end up with exact number of frames but some of them get repeated ( something like: [frames] 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 but instead of frame 7 repeats frame 6 than go to frame8) so I end-up with jumpy video.

I just can't think of logical explanation for this. Please help. I'm going crazy.

Thanks

Sasa

WesM
10-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Hey Calico,

That sounds pretty weird. Don't you just love computers?
Maybe check what your editing timebase is in Premiere. Are you working in 29.97, Drop Frame or Non-Drop Frame. What frame rate did you render your quicktime from LW in? Thats all I can think of that may be messing things up and I'm not sure if that would even cause the repeat frames.
I always try to make sure that my frame rates match in all my elements when editing. Check your settings and see if they match. Hope that helps.

Wes

calico
10-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks Wes,

Everything has been done at 30 fps, compression - none, and if I don't take a pill, you'll see me on CNN.

@#*^%#@

WesM
10-03-2003, 07:07 AM
Hey Calico,
Are you using Premiere 6.0 on Mac or PC?
I had problems before when I used Premiere on my Mac when I tried to export a quicktime mov.

How are you layering your video in premiere? You have three layers, one of which is an Alpha layer. But if you preview the comp and it looks great, there has to be a problem with the export.
Have you tried trashing the Premiere comp and starting over from scratch on the compostite? I have had to do this before. I have had crazy stuff like this happen to me dozens of times. Sometimes it seems that something is just corrupt. When weird things like this happend to me, I would just trash the file and rebuild it from scratch. Trash all of the preview files and start a new project completely. This always took care of weird glitches for me. Of course, it's a last resort kind of thing. It sucks rebuilding stuff. Sorry I can't be much help. Good luck

Wes

calico
10-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Wes,
I tried it first on Mac, than I tried it on PC. Than, I tried to export as a Targa sequence.
I'm keep getting the same result.

I don't know man, it's probably something small and silly but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks for suggestions

tumblemonster
10-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Did you say everything was a 30FPS? Premiere defaults to 29.97 fps for DV. If you exported at exactly 30 fps (non-drop) from lightwave, the small difference may be causing your problem.

Second, it's likely that Premiere is displaying video in 60 fields per second. Did you render to fields? I'm not sure how Premiere handles progressive video, but this could also be part of your problem. If you are exporting at a different frame rate, Premiere may be generating errors when choosing which frames to export.

Good luck.

-tm

calico
10-03-2003, 02:08 PM
tm,
I'm trying to keep everything at 30fps until the last stage. Unfortunately, I never reach that stage. My Premiere settings are: 30fps, no fields, 'none' compression for video, 'millions+' colors and I think that's all.
At first I thought that my HD was the problem so I reformatted it but I was getting the same thing. The whole peace is less than 5min. It's weird. I guess I'll have to try FCP or something else.

Thanks

WesM
10-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Hey Guys,

I agree with Tumblemonster. If you are exporting at a different frame rate, it could be causing your problem. How long is your sequence? I don't think you would have problems in the difference between 29.97 and 30 frames per second, if your sequence is not very long. I have mixed 30fps lightwave animations into premiere setup for DV at 29.97 with lower fields. I didn't have any problems. My sequences where only about 30secs or so. Hope you get everything worked out.
I know this sucks. I get weird problems like this all the time.

Wes

mlinde
10-03-2003, 02:27 PM
I don't think the problem is the framerate or the duration. It's like premiere is 'losing' some frames in the sequence.

Are your pieces video clips or image sequences? If you tried one (ie. video) have you tried the other?

I'm just grasping at straws here, but if Premiere was having trouble with multiple image sequences when exporting, I'd convert the image sequences to QT movies (with QT Pro), re-import and re-layer them, to see if that solves the problem.

One other thing is to make sure (in Premiere) when you are exporting you are keyframing every frame.

calico
10-03-2003, 03:15 PM
mlinde

yes, I created QT movies and checked them frame by frame before importing them in Premiere.

[One other thing is to make sure (in Premiere) when you are exporting you are keyframing every frame.] - what exactly does this mean?

thanks

mlinde
10-03-2003, 03:54 PM
When you set your QT output from premiere, you select a codec, a framerate, and a keyframe setting. I don't have a copy of premiere anymore to check where this is, it should be in the video output section of the setup. You can also do a search in the premiere help for "keyframing" which might help you find it.