PDA

View Full Version : 3D Model Library/Viewer Software?

kopperdrake
04-05-2011, 04:21 AM
With thousands of lwo files to keep searching through, is there anything out there that will scan a directory and make a quick openGL (or similar) thumbnail of every 3D model it finds (lwo, dxf, 3ds being the most important to me), and let you browse/search the resulting library? Something that also did images would also be great. With some clients and very long-standing projects, we're finding that so much time is wasted just looking through old projects for that asset you thought you'd modelled.

Help, as always, is appreciated :)

Dunk

RudySchneider
04-05-2011, 02:21 PM
TNG Viewer (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) is one.

calilifestyle
04-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah i sure wish that ever lwo file would capture what you save. This way you know that's the file you want.

kopperdrake
04-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Cheers Rudy - I saw that when I was googling, but I thought it was just a viewer and didn't make libraries you can scan to get to the object you wanted. I'll give it a bash.

A thumbnail icon for each lightwave object that showed the object would be useful, so when you browse a directory in thumbnails you'd get a small image of the object :)

kopperdrake
04-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Ok - TNG Viewer only seems to let you view an object once opened - not too useful when you have several hundred in a folder.

I have found this little gem though:

http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/3dbrowserpro/index.asp

It lets you view a few 3d formats, including lwo and lws, and creates thumbnails quickly on the fly for each folder you click on. But nothing is added to any folder, they're rendered within the browser window. Textures are not shown as I guess they're not in the same folder (though a request could be asked I guess), but it's just saved us some time looking for a particular object version from a few months ago.

You can choose, from the thumbnails screen (which always has a browser tree open on the left if you want), to open its proprietary viewer (I've crashed this once already), or copy it, cut it, or open with Modeler.

Best bit, it's pretty cheap - $69, 69, or 69 Euros, and even a small discount for multiple seats.

Going to run with the 30 day trial and see how it goes, but so far it looks like the job. Ah, it also sits in the tray at the bottom, only a click away from popping into life, or back down again.

calilifestyle
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
sweet nice find.

it doesn't seem to work with ever lw file. Lw scenes don't show up.

4dartist
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
PC only NOOOooooooo... :'(

kopperdrake
04-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Hmm...my scene files show up, in a very limited way though (not through the camera, but objects where they should be. They are simple scene files though.

calilifestyle
04-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah i just noticed that some scenes work and some don't.

CaptainMarlowe
04-06-2011, 10:57 PM
PC only NOOOooooooo... :'(

May work through playonmac

calilifestyle
04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
also they have a lite version for 29

kopperdrake
04-07-2011, 03:10 AM
After downloading it, I had an email saying that if I bought within the next 12 hours I'd get 33% off, so I've just bought a couple of copies. Bargain! It's already saved me time looking through for stuff. It also has a cataloguing facility - looks deeper than I know what to do with in some areas (server cataloguing and such forth). I'm pretty chuffed!

I hear you with the Mac thing - I'm running Bootcamp at the moment, and have been waiting for LW to become stable on the Mac. *But*, with one of us now using Inventor, which is PC only, and then Messiah which seems a bit flakey on the Mac, it's getting harder to make the full-time jump and we're now both running Bootcamp.