PDA

View Full Version : Quick Stadium Renders

Slick Systems
04-05-2011, 02:44 AM
Havent posted for a while so thought I'd put up a recent stadium concept I'd completed. This is an indicative preview of how the finished article will look.

Everything in the scene is modelled and includes seats, terraces, stands etc etc I have tried to keep as close to the reality as possible. There are no instances via plugins only LW clones of some of the seats.

Total polys 4626909. Scene render size was 862MB.

Files were rendered then post proc'd in Photoshop to add skys and tweak colours and such.

Enjoy.

Mitja
04-05-2011, 04:27 AM
4.5M polygons?! You could try the DPinstance plugin for the seats!

Slick Systems
04-05-2011, 04:36 AM
I have looked into various instancing solutions however they require additional time spent on getting the positioning right and there are a lot of variables in the width of the seats and width of terraces which make it tricky to get accurate positioning. Especially when everything is in a state of flux regarding the actual spec of the stadium.

Believe me I'd jump on using an instancing plugin if I thought it would speed things up a bit. Another area where the instancing plugs usually fail is at render time when the plugin takes additional time to render because of the complexity of instancing so many objects.

I produced about 10 - 15 renders off this stadium and they were an overnight production with post work done the next day. I didn't think that was too long for a turnaround. But with some of the plugs I tried I'd be lucky to get just one render done overnight.

Anyway with 64bit LW poly count is not as much of an issue to me anymore now that the memory ceiling has been lifted.

Hopefully when Core gets to a decent point then instancing will be a native action rather than a plugin. My only concern is that with anythin between 10 and 50,000 seats in a stadium how would you keep track of all those instances?? I can imagine scrolling through object lists for ages!! :-)

JonW
04-05-2011, 05:57 AM
I'm no expert here. But if you have enough ram just use real geometry. I gave the DP instance a quick go, I think it's probably good. But since I have enough ram I'll keep going with real objects if I can get away with it.

5m real polys it not an issue anyway.

Remember to change Layout viewports to bounding boxes then relaunch Layout to free up ram. I usually do this even if I have plenty of ram just to free it up before a long render.

There are some good optimising suggestions made buy others here which I think are worth doing before instancing.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115566

Mitja
04-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Hopefully when Core gets to a decent point then instancing will be a native action rather than a plugin. My only concern is that with anythin between 10 and 50,000 seats in a stadium how would you keep track of all those instances?? I can imagine scrolling through object lists for ages!! :-)
Good point!
I know poly count it's not a problem anymore, but in this case I would've used instances, pretty easy to place. But again, if there's no time for tweaking, better go with something more familiar.

Slick Systems
04-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Agreed. Instancing takes additional time which unfortunately there is a vast lack of for me.

Also I agree with JonW I do prefer to use real objects if I can. Although manipulating the scene is slower without a beefy graphics card to power through the screen redrawing.

Again hopefully Core will solve alot of these issues for us when it develops into something more stable and fully featured.