PDA

View Full Version : exporting 3ds

bodeci
04-02-2011, 01:00 PM
im currently tring to export some still objects in 3ds, but they are not saving the textures even when i reload the same file back into lightwave10.
anyone have an idea for me?
thank you

wrench
04-02-2011, 03:37 PM
The 3DS format is very old. I think you'll be able to keep colour and not much more from a LightWave surface.

B

bodeci
04-02-2011, 03:49 PM
thank you for the response would fbx be a good export for my still textures?

wrench
04-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Why do you need to export your objects as 3DS? I need to know more of the workflow to be able to help, but it remains to be said that transferring textures between applications is never easy.

B

bodeci
04-03-2011, 04:43 PM
The other program im loading into allows .3ds, .X, .MDL, MD2 and MD3.

so currently im tring to find a way to load the objects into the program so they hold there textures, so i can figure out what additional programs if any i need to use because i also need to to get B3D or .X for another program that only uses those files for animated.

thank you Wrench for your help and yes 3ds was only holding my original color i used to seperate the surfaces for texturing.

MicroMouse
04-03-2011, 07:21 PM
3DS files are old and were created when file names used the 8.3 rule which means 8 characters maximum for the file name and 3 characters maximum for the file extension.

Actually the way the 3DS file format specification was written long file names can actually be written to the 3DS file but many programs do not support this.

Make your texture file names according to the 8.3 rule and your problem should be solved.

Wayne

bodeci
04-07-2011, 06:01 PM
thank you will have to give it a try