PDA

View Full Version : DV audio gets out of sync

wilebill
10-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Yesterday we installed the VT3 upgrade, so the first thing we tried was working with DV capture and editing.

Everything seemed to go well. We captured a 1 hour 12 minute file via firewire and we could actually work with the file, unlike the pre-patch.

However, towards the end of the clip we noticed that the audio was out of sync by about half a second or so. It seemed to stay in sync up until 51 minutes into the clip then slowly got out until about 1:04, then it was terribly noticeable.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Regards,
Billy

wilebill
10-02-2003, 02:05 PM
My first post was not quite accurate.

The entire clip starts to get out of sync from the very beginning and gets worse as the video progresses.

Unbeknownst to me, my editor had tried to sync the audio manually and had it synced up at around the 51 minute mark. That's why it was synced there but got out later on.

So it seems that there is a slight difference in the audio and video speeds and as the clip progresses the sync gets worse and worse. When we matched the audio and video start times together, the audio was out of sync by several seconds at about the one hour mark. Sigh

Looks like we'll have to go back to the PicVideo codec once again. I hope it works okay.

Billy

ScorpioProd
10-03-2003, 12:44 AM
There is definately a problem with DV capture A/V sync. :(

WISE TV
10-30-2006, 09:53 PM
I purchased a New VT4 back in August. I"m having a realy hard time
keeping the audio and video in sync. I have tried eveything. There is about
a four or five second delay in the audio. I Have an old Amiga VT and I ran the same video through it and had no sync problems. This is a wonderful machine if I can get the video and audio to stay in sync. Does any one have any suggestions.

ScorpioProd
10-30-2006, 10:07 PM
That's a problem with the Type-2 DV capture via firewire.

Just change it in preferences to Type-1 and your A/V sync will be fine.

mgrusin
10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Or use different software to capture. I've been using http://windv.mourek.cz/ which is tiny and works well (it can split the capture into individual shots which is often handy).

-MG.

ScorpioProd
10-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah, I highly recommend WinDV and would recommend not using VT[4]'s firewire capture if you don't have to. But if you use Type-1, it would work.

WinDV gives you timestamp scene dectection, which is so much better than what VT capture can do.

Bob A
11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
I have the same problem with my VT3. My audio with either type-1 or type-2 gets out of sync. The audio gradually gets worse the longer the clip. I also notice that the audio levels are extremely high with distortion via the firewire. I always though it was a hardware issue with the firewire or card. I finally just captured all my video via s-video. The results were OK. Now my Canon XL-1 needs some work and I get dropouts when playing from it into my VT3. My question is can I use the WinDV to capture via the firewire on my VT3? Will this eliminate the audio sync problem?