PDA

View Full Version : Is this offer from NewTek real?

shrox
04-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I received this email yesterday:

"This is (name removed) from NewTek Customer Service. We attempted to send your free upgrade of LightWave 10 to you but it was returned to us. Please send me your correct shipping information so we can attempt to send the software out to you again. You are eligible for this free upgrade due to your LightWave 9 license being purchased during our promotional period. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Please feel free to use it!"

Is this real or an April Fools joke? I did purchase 9, and the return address appears real....but you never know.

Cageman
04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Hard to say... when did you upgrade to LW9?

RebelHill
04-01-2011, 08:56 PM
if u click reply and the address that come up in the to field is @newtek.com, then its real.

evenflcw
04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Who cares. Take it!

The reply address doesn't prove who sent it. So either an unknown, a friend or an enemy used some hacking tool to send something that looks like it's coming from newtek.com or it truly does come from newtek. What have you got to lose but some dignity? I'd say that risk is worth the upgrade. If you want to feel safer, make sure to type in the emailadress (@newtek.com) rather than use the automatic reply address that might be wrapped in a contact name or somesuch that is made to look like an email-address to obscure the actual one (depends on the email client and settings I suppose).

Markc
04-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I would send an email direct to Newtek (not using reply to) and ask the question :)

Mruk
04-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Oh come on, just call their support.
And yes, the information could be real, today i received my LW10 BOX with stiker and 3d glases, becouse i bought LW9.6 when the promotion was active (Q4 2010).

Generally, if you could download and register LW10, the box should be somewhere on route.

rednova
04-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Hi Shrox:

i am sure it is true, a few weeks ago i received lightwave 10 upgrade free of charge.Is just a promotion by Newtek where if you bought lw 9 not too long ago, then you qualify for free lw 10.
So just go ahead and call them, and get your free upgrade !!!
Love !!!

Rednova

shrox
04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Alrighty then, email sent.