PDA

View Full Version : From drawing to plain mesh??

Nemoid
10-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I thought it would be very good if some sort of thing would exist :
I draw a plain mesh, with polis in black and white, import the image in background and some tool translate it into a plain mesh exacly like the drawing, and therefore with all the polis i drew.:D is that possible??

mattclary
10-02-2003, 12:24 PM
You want to draw a picture (on paper, right?) scan it in and have LightWave generate polys based on that, right? How will LightWave know which way the poly is facing? If you draw a complex object, parts of your hand drawn mesh will not be perpindicular to your 2d view drwan on paper. How do you recommend LightWave understand what those odd shapes represent?

In a nutshell, don't hold your breath.

Nemoid
10-02-2003, 01:44 PM
No maybe I expressed in a bad english.
i was talking of a plain mesh so the result would be a FLAT mesh, divided into polis to be manipulated afterwards, like in some modelling technique used expecially for chars and objects like fishes, and similar ( with a huge horizontal development)

take it as a quick way to create a flat organized mesh without tools like pen tool or create poly&extender
Lw must recognize the shape of polis. the black lines of the drawing would be the edges of polis that Lw would create..

i know there is some plug to recognize flat shapesfrom B/W drawings,but I think they create one n sided poly.

here we'll have a subdivided flat shape to be manipulated /completed afterwards to get the 3D dimension.

hope this explaination can be more clear!!?:D

mattclary
10-02-2003, 02:13 PM
You could probably do something like that with EPS files, but it would only be in 2D.

riki
10-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Do you mean something like this

http://www.chuckcarter.com/process/process.html

which was used by Chuck Carter to create images like this

http://www.chuckcarter.com/process/pictures/darkworld8.jpg

Nemoid
10-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Nope. ok then my english is SO bad!!! :(

ok imagine a flat mesh , like in - cough- Fleming's-cough- tutorials for modelling fishes and things like that. this mesh is FLAT, so doesn't develop in 3d.then the modeler extrude it, manipulate points and polys , etc.to obtain the 3D object.
i want to obtain this mesh, from a drawing in B/W with no gradients and grey tones. only black lines of the flat mesh as in eps, illustrator files.
but the plug will obtain the mesh from a raster drawing, not illustrator vector file.
then, when i obtain the FLAT mesh in Lw i could manipulate polys and points to make the shape in 3D. this should be useful to draw in Lw complex flat mesh in no time.

draw the mesh, scan the drawing, import the img in lw, convert it into polis.Done!:)