PDA

View Full Version : where can I upload my shareware ?

rednova
03-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Dear Lightwave Friends:

I am thinking about making new games using lightwave 3d.
I never made a shareware for pc before.
Where are the best places online for distributing a shareware game
for the PC ?
And any tips and suggestions about making a pc shareware ?
I appreciate any help...

Rednova

Silkrooster
03-30-2011, 10:13 PM
First place to look is download.com https://upload.cnet.com/?tag=ftr

safetyman
03-31-2011, 05:17 AM
Once you get it finalized, you could try to get it distributed via Steam from Valve Software. Not sure of the procedures involved, but they seem to be very independent game-maker friendly.

Traveler
03-31-2011, 06:20 AM
I assume your intention is to make money?
The easiest and primary medium is and should be your own website. The advantage here is that you are in complete control, and that the connection with your customers is very short. For example, when a customer buys from your site you have all their info. This is not the case with Steam or other portals such as Big Fish Games where you usually dont get buyer information. Also, portals take a cut in each sell. The amount differs per Portal but can be up to as much as 70%.
That said, the amount of visitors Steam or other Portals have reaches in the millions. Customer potential is way way bigger than you'll ever reach on your own website. So you'll have to do a lot of marketing for your own game.

Getting onto Steam or other portals is easy. Simply write them an email. I've read that Steam usually answers within a few days. Others may take longer to get a reply, some don't even bother writing back. Reasons for acceptance are difficult to answer. With Steam you'll never know until you write them. I've seen highly polished games turned down while others got accepted. Big Fish Games is mostly looking for games within their target audience. Niche games usually don't do well there.

I hope this helps a bit.