PDA

View Full Version : Blur node procedure?

DMarkwick
03-30-2011, 10:30 AM
I have a brick node (actually the IFW2 Bricks node) but I'd like to have a less sharp shift from white to black, particularly for the bump info. Is there any way for me to blur out a texture within the node interface?

Lightwolf
03-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Denis Pontonnier has a blur node:
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html
(it does increase the render time though, since it basically needs to evaluate the upstream node multiple times - sampling it for the blur).

Cheers,
Mike

DMarkwick
03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the link :) I got the kit, some really nice stuff there.

RE the blur node - you're right it's VERY slow :) but even worse it either gives me terrible artifacts or simply crashes LW10.

It's difficult for me to get it into a state of minimum artifacts due to its slowness and high likelyhood of crashing.

Lightwolf
03-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the link :) I got the kit, some really nice stuff there.

RE the blur node - you're right it's VERY slow :) but even worse it either gives me terrible artifacts or simply crashes LW10.

It's difficult for me to get it into a state of minimum artifacts due to its slowness and high likelyhood of crashing.
You should probably consider baking out the texture and blurring it in an image processor.

While it's nice to have the option as a node it is bound to have issues like that due to the nature of nodal shading in LW (and not only in LW either).

Cheers,
Mike

raw-m
03-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Just a thought but you could use one of the Function nodes (curves?) to smooth out the contrast.

DMarkwick
03-31-2011, 03:58 AM
You should probably consider baking out the texture and blurring it in an image processor.

While it's nice to have the option as a node it is bound to have issues like that due to the nature of nodal shading in LW (and not only in LW either).

Cheers,
Mike

I considered the baking thing but I use the bricks node as an alpha template only, and I also put a distortion through it to slightly wobble the bricks output ever so slightly, the idea is that I have a texture that has no repeating elements. I'm trying to find a way to make the bricks' bump map less sharply defined between brick and grout. But, thanks for the link and ideas, raw-m I will play with a curve node and see what transpires :)

shadersrjj
04-23-2011, 09:16 AM
For IFW2 Bricks the edges go from the grout via a transition (set by the bevel) to the brick. This means if you want softer edges then used more bevel. This is a linear blend but you can drive the blend input with a waveform and make it any shape.

RJJ
IFW2 Textures - www.shaders.co.uk

UnCommonGrafx
04-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Good on you, RJJ, for educating the new folk!
So much goodness in your kit.