PDA

View Full Version : Modeler in LW10 astonishingly slow with selection

Chrizto
03-30-2011, 04:10 AM
Hi there!
Just wondering if anybody else experience that Modeler 10 is astonishingly slow when selecting points or polys if the mesh is anymore than medium dense. I try to load in a 60K polys model with 12 layers, not very big, but the selection tools are dreadfully slow. Also manipulating the elements is insanly slow.
I tried to load in a .obj file with approx 50K polys in a single layer and I experience the same thing.
If I drag the selector over a few points, it takes like a couple of seconds before Modeler actually shows my selection.

I tried opening the same file in Modo 401 on the same machine and it was like night and day. Much, much faster operations.

I have not tried this on a production level machine, but my machine is a MacBook Pro 2.66 Core2Duo with a GeForce 9600 GT and 4GB Ram, which should be adequate for this file.

It makes no difference if I start Modeler in 32 or 64 bit mode.

Any ideas from you guys on the forum?

Lewis
03-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Do you have turned on ColorSpace options in modeler maybe ?

Also what OpenGL mode you are in? MTS or GSLSL ? and is VBO turned ON.

EmperorPete
03-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Check your video drivers. If you're using whatever set was installed by your OS with a GeForce card, your performance in Modeler will suck horrendously. I had this problem after a clean Windows 7 install on my PC; if it's the same with the OS on your Mac, installing the latest NVidia drivers should hopefully clear it right up.

Matt
03-30-2011, 07:54 AM
There is a known issue with points when selecting in any modes except 'Wireframe'. Same deal with 9.6, and probably beyond too. It's not a new LW10 thing.

Chrizto
04-04-2011, 02:49 AM
There is a known issue with points when selecting in any modes except 'Wireframe'. Same deal with 9.6, and probably beyond too. It's not a new LW10 thing.

Is it related to Nvidia drivers, or is this "issue" a general one? If so, how come so few complaints about it? You're right about the shading, it's only in wireframe that selection and manipulating of points work adequately.
For me that is a major turn-off...

Matt
04-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Is it related to Nvidia drivers, or is this "issue" a general one? If so, how come so few complaints about it? You're right about the shading, it's only in wireframe that selection and manipulating of points work adequately.
For me that is a major turn-off...

It's not driver related, it's in the code. Point paint selection did not receive the acceleration that polys and edges did, I don't know what the reason for this was as it has been that way for a while.

But it only affects points, and only affects points when selecting in a view mode that requires Modeler to figure out which points are occluded.

It's something I've raised.

rsfd
04-04-2011, 03:39 AM
Modeler in general seems to have big issues with high-poly objects.
Haven't found any way to get a usable performance on OSX (8c MacPro, and it's only a little bit better on Win7-BC).
Same objects (~3,5 Mio Polys) are fully responsive in modo 501 in every viewport shading mode, even on OSX with Apple's poor graphics drivers.
It's one of the reasons why I avoid Modeler as good as I can. It *is* a turn-off indeed.