PDA

View Full Version : Metadata -- user comments?

jeric_synergy
03-29-2011, 04:21 PM
When you use the MetaData button in the Image Viewer, you are given the option to add a user comment. Unfortunately, it seems this user comment isn't saved with the metadata when you save the image (at least, in PNG format). (Metadata can be viewed in PShop via File/File Info.)

Potentially, this could be useful to TD's communicating amongst themselves at a facility.

My question: is there ANY way within the Image Viewer to add a user comment (or any of the many other fields) to an image's Metadata?

Silkrooster
03-29-2011, 10:26 PM
It looks like the png format does not support the camera exif data, which is where the user comment is stored.
For thoses that do not know how to add the comment.
Render your scene F9
Click on the metadata button at the top of the render.
Just to the right of the word user comment, type is the comment then hit enter to confirm.
In a jpg image, the comment does display in the meta data, when looking at it with Adobe Bridge.
Howevwer there is a small bug. It looks like only the characters after the eighth character is displayed. At this point I do not know if the bug is in Bridge or Lightwave.

jeric_synergy
03-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Good research there. :thumbsup: Damn, I can't believe PNGs lack that!!! :devil:

I'd think it'd be slick if, in a large facility like, oh, DD, if TDs could enter comments in the metadata, and colleagues could read them easily.

OTOH, maybe it just don't matter, or they have other methods.

But, comments that traveled with the image would seem to be useful.....

UI wise, clicking on the image and just start typing. There's so much that could be done w/the image viewer, but making stuff that'd actually get used is the trick.

wrench
03-30-2011, 11:51 AM
I'd think it'd be slick if, in a large facility like, oh, DD, if TDs could enter comments in the metadata, and colleagues could read them easily.

Large facilities like, oh, DD tend to use OpenEXR images rather than PNG... ;)

B

jeric_synergy
03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah, but do they have a slick comment reader?

Silkrooster
03-30-2011, 10:07 PM
My interpretation of the metadata is that it is too open sourced. In that the fields are left up to the programmer, instead of one of the format groups. If majority of the fields were standardized, it would be much easier for other programs to read the meta data.
But like I said that is my interpretation and may not even be the case at all.

Lightwolf
03-31-2011, 04:43 AM
Yeah, but do they have a slick comment reader?
OpenEXR has standard metadata tags, one of them for comments.
At least "high-end" compositing packages support them as well.

Fusion for example displays as well as allows you to extract any kind of metadata (for scripting).

Cheers,
Mike

jeric_synergy
03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Well, there's that answered.