PDA

View Full Version : 9.2 to 9.6 upgrade

Wittywop
03-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Hey all,

So I know i am a lil behind the power curve just now upgrading to 9.6 since 10 just came out.

I downloaded the dmg from newtek site and installed it, but when I run the 9.6 version it comes up in Discovery mode. I am assuming this is due to the fact that my dongle isn't for the 9.6 version.

How do I update my dongle? Is that a paid upgrade or is it a free one?

Thanks in advance for any help

JonW
03-26-2011, 07:59 PM
It will work, make sure you have 32 or 64 bit. If you are using the other you will need a new LN which will be provided. 9.6 is a lot faster!

Wittywop
03-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Okay so I got it working. I had to go up to help and re-enter my license key and then close layout and reopen it for it to work.

More questions...

I now have a lightwave 9.2 folder and a lightwave 9.6 folder in my Newtek folder,
do I still need need the 9.2 version?
Can i just pull my presets from the 9.2 folder to the 9.6 ?
what about all the plugins do they need to be reinstalled under 9.6 or is that a drag a folder thing too?
Do I have to go through 9.6 and make all the menu tweaks I had in 9.2 to 9.6?

I guess what I am asking is whats the easiest way to get the setup I had in 9.2 into 9.6?

Thanks

nickdigital
03-26-2011, 11:47 PM
You'll need to re-add your 3rd party plug-ins to your 9.6 install. It's best to keep your 9.6 install pointing to your 9.6 plug-ins and your 9.2 install pointing to your 9.2 ones.

If you're redirecting your configs you could use your configs from 9.2 for 9.6. If you're not redirecting your configs it's possible that 9.6 will use your 9.2 configs by default. The other option would be to save out your menu layout from 9.2 and load it in 9.6.

Phil
03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Okay so I got it working. I had to go up to help and re-enter my license key and then close layout and reopen it for it to work.

More questions...

I now have a lightwave 9.2 folder and a lightwave 9.6 folder in my Newtek folder,
do I still need need the 9.2 version?
Can i just pull my presets from the 9.2 folder to the 9.6 ?
what about all the plugins do they need to be reinstalled under 9.6 or is that a drag a folder thing too?
Do I have to go through 9.6 and make all the menu tweaks I had in 9.2 to 9.6?

I guess what I am asking is whats the easiest way to get the setup I had in 9.2 into 9.6?

Thanks

Depends on how you have organised things. NT don't, I think, make any recommendations, but most people keep their 3rd party plugins in a separate 3rd party plugins folder that can be shared between multiple installs.

This makes updating a, relatively, painless process. You simply scan that folder in your new LW install and you're up and running. Menu configs need to be exported (I keep a 3rd party tab in both apps, avoiding changing anything else because it gets messy - I simply export the 3rd party tab) from the older version and then imported in the newer version.

It's worth redirecting configs to avoid any risk of a newer/older version trampling all over the standard files (NT don't version the config files by minor versions so it's always LWEXT9.CFG, or 'Extensions 9')