PDA

View Full Version : inscribing a wedding ring model

billuke
03-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi,Could someone advise me on a way to inscribe text on the inside of a ring.
Is it a booleen function or another way.

Thanks........Bill

nickdigital
03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
How about a bump map?

billuke
03-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I didn't think of that,I can give it a try.I'm just not sure of how to place it where i want it(I don,t do a lot of modeling)more into compositing.

Thanks

nickdigital
03-26-2011, 11:50 PM
It should just be a cylindrical map. Either use that projection method or you could use a UV map with that mapping option.

borkus
03-28-2011, 03:03 AM
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-max-ring-lord/510319

There was a tutorial I had seen years ago that made the ring in the link above using Lightwave. But I can't track it down now in that I can't remember where I had seen it. Maybe someone else will remember. I would like to also have a look at that tutorial again but I think that it walks you through step by step in doing what you are looking for. On a side note, isn't it funny that people are selling models on Turbosquid that are made with tutorials? I guess I can see the purpose because there are people that don't want to do any modelling. Just makes me chuckle in looking at something that has a STEP BY STEP guide for it going for $5-50...

HolyMonkey-
03-28-2011, 04:44 AM
A great way to get such details into shapes flawlessly is to either listen to what nickdigital said to you, if you are having a hard time placing it, then you could make a basic shape of the ring, then import it into a sculpting program, and either import the writing in as an alpha (black and white image) or just hand sculpt it in yourself.

03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
It's a pretty ideal sort of place to use a bump map - there is no angle of view at which you would expect to see the 'geometry' of the inscription and you will be able to try a lot of variations in script - particularly with a bit of photoshop fun.
For inscribed text you could start with a basic font, & use any sort of blur or glow effects to get a sort of accurate taper to the cuts of the inscribing tool & then use the original text a s a mask to keep the edge apparent incision crisp