PDA

View Full Version : Orbit Method in Modeler

michaeldejong
03-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Good morning,

So Ive been watching some tutorials, both from Dan Ablan and also Taron, and I see they are always rotating around the perspective viewport using the ALT+mouse method, while i Have really gotten used to moving up to the viewport icons and rotating with that icon. I really dont like the type of orbit I get when I do it right on the viewport, and I know it may seem silly but that microsecond to move my mouse up then back down just to view my mesh at a different angle can get a tad distracting.

Any way of being able to rotate my view in the perspective window in modeler like you can in Layout by using the ALT+Mouse or by using the orbit icon on top of the windows ?

Hope this isnt too noob guys. lol

:lwicon:

Dexter2999
03-26-2011, 03:18 AM
Check the bottom of the Modeler screen "Modes" next to "SubD" (I believe)
Changes the rotation from cursor, to pivot, center, selection. See if one of those is what you are looking for.

michaeldejong
03-26-2011, 10:49 AM
oh. no . not the rotation of an object or its action center lol

the rotation of the view,

basically I want to orbit my perspective view with the alt+left mouse button the same way I can orbit in my perspective view with the actual orbit icon on the top of that viewport.

jeric_synergy
03-26-2011, 11:21 AM
??? Alt+LMB does rotate the Perspective vuport in Modeler.

Perhaps the center of the orbit is confusing you: if you select a poly, hit SHIFT+A, that poly becomes the new orbit center. So, the center can be in different places. To orbit the whole object, hit "a" .

Or is it that the mouse actions are reversed? I think you're stuck there.

michaeldejong
03-26-2011, 11:28 AM
No, its that the alt+LMB does indeed rotate the view with a trackball style,

where as the actual icon found on the viewport header is the turntable style of orbiting.

my very simple question is can I have a turntable style of orbiting by using the alt+lmb inside the viewport, or do I need to keep using the icon itself to get the style of orbiting that I am used to and prefer.

If no, thats fine.

probiner
03-26-2011, 11:50 AM
keep using the icon... Alt+LMB change the Y axis, while in the icon it doesn't. I would also prefer in many situations to have the unchanged Y axis rotation on the Alt+LMB. i guess it wouldn't be something very hard to add to the display options.

CF01
03-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I'd recommend trying the trackball rotation for a while longer to see if you can get used to it. Trackball will allow you to hit certain positions and angles faster than a turntable style can, plus you won't have to be moving up to that icon all the time. Lightwave and Modo have a trackball rotation with kind of an additive nature to the rotation. I'm not sure how to best describe it. It allows you to navigate to angles without lifting your mouse/pen up as often as some other trackball systems like Blender's.

It is very unfortunate that Newtek has not made more options available for customizing the navigation. While I prefer a turntable style for most tasks other than modeling/sculpting/painting I find the implementation in Layout to be horrible. After nearly a decade of nearly exclusive Lightwave use I never was very efficient with Layout as compared to modeler. I received a large productivity boost when I started using C4D just from the navigation. Between C4D and Modo I rarely touch Lightwave these days. If Newtek just implemented some good options for changing the ways that you navigate the program I might start using it again.

michaeldejong
03-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys, thats basically all I was asking.

Guess I'll just hold out for now! Maybe they will have it as an option one day.

jeric_synergy
03-26-2011, 03:43 PM
where as the actual icon found on the viewport header is the turntable style of orbiting.
Sorry to be so thick, but I perceive little to no difference between the two methods, the biggest being the reversal of mouse direction when using the icon. The RMB=bank is big I guess, but really, I scarcely ever use it.

I never even really noticed the reversal, but now that I see it, I'm sure it will drive me to distraction. 'Thanks' a lot. :D:D:D

dwburman
03-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I'll chime in here to point out that the way alt-LMB rotates the perspective view changes depending where your pointer is when you start to rotate. There's an inner and an outer area. The inner area rotates it around the X and Y, and the outer area rotates it around the Z and X (dragging on the sides) or Z and Y (dragging on the top/bottom).

This fact doesn't address your discomfort with the interface, but it's something that's easy to miss and probably disorienting if you don't realize it works that way.

michaeldejong
03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
its not the reversal that bothers me at all,
its that your view starts to drastically bank, where as the orbit icon is constrained to the other two axis. personally I really wish I could have that style of orbit by using the alt+rmb.

Maybe I should try getting used to the other method, its just not what I prefer and think it would be great if we had the option to change these types of navigation methods based on our own preferences.

Anyway, thanks again.

Dexter2999
03-26-2011, 08:57 PM
This is one of the times I wish my keyboard would function more like Photoshop.
Instead of CTL ATL to zoom, CTL SPACE zoom in, CTL ALT SPACE zoom out.
And in this case, clicking in the Perspective view ALT would then rotate, but CTL could be used as a modifier to constrain to an axis (like when using it on the drag tool.)

prometheus
03-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Waiting for lightkeys to update for working with modeler...

http://themaddoxcorner.blogspot.com/2011/01/lightkeys-for-lightwave-3d-released.html

Meanwhile I believe you can use hotkey..

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm#Wheel

Michael

Snosrap
03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys, thats basically all I was asking.

Guess I'll just hold out for now! Maybe they will have it as an option one day.
Core has that option. But like some others have said, use it for a while and you'll soon not want it any other way.

jeric_synergy
03-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Any operation that involves the "middle mouse button", save scrolling, is a loser to me. I've never found a mouse where the mmb click was satisfactory.

prometheus
03-30-2011, 01:26 AM
middle mouse button works nicely here...depending on what app you use of course.

I do a lot of resurfacing and material changing in deep exploration and the middle mouse is set to pan the viewport and scrolling the middle mouse is set to zooming in with step graduation, middle mouse double click zoom flyīs the viewport to the area you clicked over.
Right mouse and drag zoomīs steplessly the general view.

the shortcut "v" is in deep explorer set to view to active object, wich is the same as fit selected in lightwave, but lightwave has "v" for set value so I changed that to get as close workflow navigation between the two programs I can.

the orbit thing in lightwave doesnīt bother me that much since I often hit the "v" shortcut mapped to fit selected, and once it is fit you can use the orbit icon for rotation around selected part, I would of course see a maya orbit function anyway.

I feel much more comfortable in navigation and selecting parts in deep exploration, and I havenīt used DE nearly as long as lightwave.

I can choose to have a circular selection by selecting circular selection type, and then use ctr-middle mouse or right mouse, or I can choose rectangular or lasso selection, I think Itīs a little lame that the circular and rectangular selection is missing in lightwave after all these years, that canīt be so hard to code in can It?

Thereīs a couple of more viewport stuff in DE that I would like to see stolen to lightwave to, namely auto rotate, and the same viewport shading mode like transparent solid and transparent box mode..and lastly a part list for selecting named parts, but thatīs quite a different story..probably not showing up until core advances.

Michael

Snosrap
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Any operation that involves the "middle mouse button", save scrolling, is a loser to me. I've never found a mouse where the mmb click was satisfactory. Isn't that the truth. Fortunately I don't have that issue anymore as I use a Wacom. I do miss the scroll wheel however. BTW I use the Wacom for everything not just 3D and painting.

jrandom
03-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Isn't that the truth. Fortunately I don't have that issue anymore as I use a Wacom. I do miss the scroll wheel however. BTW I use the Wacom for everything not just 3D and painting.

I came here to say this as well. I never really "got" viewport rotation until I tried using a tablet. I will never never go back to modeling with a trackball/mouse. Tablets are where it's at.