PDA

View Full Version : LW 10 FBX object import

mclarkson
03-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Is anyone using FBX to import objects into LW for render? I've tried it on a handful of objects and my results have been variable - from so-so to pretty bad - although a bit better than in 9.6.

I had high hopes for the new FBX importer, but I'm still having to manually flip polys, re-apply textures, reset materials, etc. etc. etc.

Anyone else? Any advice? Thanks.

Greenlaw
03-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Sorry this is not much help but FWIW I've had very good luck with Lightwave FBX 10's import and export, mostly for getting rigged characters out of Lightwave to Maya, and then from Motion Builder back to Lightwave. Some weird rigging issues that have to be worked around but, as reported elsewhere, this isn't related to FBX. Mesh is fine though.

Where are your FBX files coming from originally? Mine originate from Lightwave and come back to Lightwave from other apps.

I also use FBX to move cameras and lights betweem apps (mainly to Fusion, but recently started moving LW cameras to Houdini too,) which does have some issues but that's another topic.

mclarkson
03-26-2011, 02:15 PM
At the moment, I'm trying to use it to import 3D models created in other apps, such as this phone (http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/nokia-n80-mobile-phone-max/362636). I am not having much luck at all at all.