PDA

View Full Version : More Northern Lights...

erikals
03-24-2011, 05:54 PM
http://vimeo.com/21419634
http://vimeo.com/21294655

(and an earlier thread... http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114409)

 

kosmodave
03-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Impressive, I would love to see that for real one day. thanks for posting.

Dave

BigHache
03-25-2011, 07:06 AM
I never tire of seeing that. :)

aurora
03-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Most incredible and the music added in for them are perfect. If you haven't guessed I'm kinda partial to aurora's and I too can NEVER get enough. Sadly living in Colorado I have only seen them live three times and never as beautiful as what you get to see all the time. There for you are looking at a very jealous fan!

pottersfriend
03-25-2011, 09:53 PM
I grew up in Alaska so I have experienced the Northern Lights first hand and you managed to capture them in a most inspiring way. I now live too far south to see them so it was nice to see your video. Makes me miss my childhood home. Excellent work.

aurora
03-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Congrats Ole, I made my morning rounds of must visit daily websites and saw your vid's on SpaceWeather.com. That and that super sweet moonbow pic made for a nice morning!

bazsa73
03-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Beautiful but I am sick of snow and cold at the present. I want to live in a warmer place.

prometheus
03-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Ivé only seen it twice I think up north in sweden...not sure but I actually think Ivé seen some of that glare here in stockholm too.

I have to play with sprites otherwise..
Testing ozone 5 in lightwave 10 with vpr and sprites...see images...not quite the true aurora yet, need´s some more tweaking and getting animation to move correctly even harder.

Michael

JeffrySG
03-27-2011, 10:12 PM
I never tire of seeing that. :)

:agree: it's just incredible!

Disciple
09-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Surfing elsewhere, I just saw the TSO video and tried a LW9.6 experiment just for fun...which I haven't done in a long time. :oye:

It came out semi-successful, so I'm giving it away, public domain. This seems like the right place.
I'd like to see anybody beat this for simplicity. It's a textured volumetric spotlight with a throwaway textured environment. Nothing more, but it's fully keyframable and true 3D. Give it a flyaround, or stereo cameras. Add some variation to its monocolo(u)r, weather FX, better procedurals. Animate a bitmapped texture and spell out a message in the sky.

I made this for fun and I'm sharing it for fun, so have fun. ;D

Glory to the Lord!
Disciple

aurora
09-03-2011, 01:41 PM
With just a little bit more tweaking and a couple additional layers this is one of the main ways I have usually done it. The other uses geometry allowing me to make ribbons then texture map the heck out of them and then post process the heck out of it. I do also have a funky particle method for making them which is a really cool effect but not all that realistic.

erikals
09-03-2011, 01:44 PM
mighty nice, thanks Disciple, taking a look... :]