PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #113 - Something you'd use in an emergency

Iain
03-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #113
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This weeks topic is:
Something you'd use in an emergency
Stop cord, life preserver, windscreen hammer etc, etc or your own imaginitive take.................

Time Limit - 60 minutes.
Deadline - Wednesday 30th March 2011, 2200 GMT.

chco2
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
First thing that comes to mind.. my evening Whiskey :)
Not modeling another glass though :D

a sandwhich
03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I call dibs on life alert! "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" lol. Also, when you do a speedboolean with an open polygon, and that little edge forms between the new hole and a corner of the polygon making it have more than 4 vertices, what would be the better way to deal with that than using the triple command? Just not use boolean?

chco2
03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
If it needs to be subpatched.. I try to avoid boolean. If you have to, cut an extra line with the knife tool and try to make quads again. Try to avoid triad's.
If it doesn't need to be subpatched.. leave it :)

This is an excellent learning tutorial on subpatching and I keep it as reference to jump back to plenty of times.. : "Introduction to Hard Surface Subdivision Modeling Video Series" can be found here : http://www.liberty3d.com/store/training/lightwave/

I call dibs on life alert! "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" lol. Also, when you do a speedboolean with an open polygon, and that little edge forms between the new hole and a corner of the polygon making it have more than 4 vertices, what would be the better way to deal with that than using the triple command? Just not use boolean?

jrandom
03-24-2011, 11:31 AM
This is an excellent learning tutorial on subpatching and I keep it as reference to jump back to plenty of times.. : "Introduction to Hard Surface Subdivision Modeling Video Series" can be found here : http://www.liberty3d.com/store/training/lightwave/

Ooo!

Thanks for the link! I have ordered it and am downloading the files now.

COBRASoft
03-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Nice topic Iain. I'll see what I can do for this one :).

Oedo 808
03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Desperately On the pull? No fit birds to choose from? (not that'll touch you anyway), you don't want to go home with mutton but it's becoming a matter of urgency? Then you need the all new Oedo Beer Goggles!!

At least for now I don't have the time to work on a decent render for this so I'm afraid it gets a miserly effort in that department.

About 65 mins, creeping over the limit again in true Oedo style.

chco2
03-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Might use this in an emergency, depending on where I am :)

30 mins modeling

wire:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/fire_button_wire.jpg

render:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/fire_button.jpg

XswampyX
03-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Great minds... and all that

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BreakGlassSmoke.jpg

chco2
03-24-2011, 06:33 PM
whaha.. lol :D

Great minds... and all that

COBRASoft
03-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey everybody,

This type of screwdriver once 'saved my life' in case of an emergency. I was on winter holidays in Austria when my car key broke in the steering lock. Lucky me, the broekn part of the key was enough inside 'unlock' it, but I couldn't use the rest of the key to turn the lock and start my car. So, this screwdriver came to the rescue because I had enough momentum with the handle to turn the lock and start my car :).

Modeling: full hour (I know, terrible slow).
Render will follow.

Greetings,
Sigurd

a sandwhich
03-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Screwed up the life alert seriously and didn't want to redo it so here's an airhorn. Modeling took about 30 minutes because I kept trying to decide what to subdivide and what not to. Felt like trying out some different textures just for the fun of it. Sorry for bad second jpeg.

Wittywop
03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Hmmm in Case of an Emergency I would want to have a Magic Lamp with a Genie in it. I am sure I could remedy the emergency with at least one of my 3 wishes.

Not sure how long it took to make kept getting pulled away. I did have fun making it and trying to get it to look like the idea in my head. Good Topic! I wanted to have like some blue smoke coming out of it , but I have to learn more about the particle system in Lightwave.

"Three wishes... and X, nay on wishing for more wishes! That's it! Three! Uno, dos, tres. No substitutions, exchanges or refunds! "

MDSPECIFIC
03-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Modeling 15min, texturing/lightning 30min.

XswampyX
03-26-2011, 08:42 AM
MDSPECIFIC - That looks great.

Emergency spillage sponge!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BucketnSponge.jpg

Iain
03-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Great entries already guys :thumbsup:

A shortage of time at the minute means I can only squeeze this quicky in for now. A police/fire service battering ram.

15 minutes modelling but I did put some effort in (even if you can't see it!) with welding creases etc.

COBRASoft
03-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi,

Here's the render for my screwdriver.

Greetings,
Sigurd

a sandwhich
03-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Iain: Where the back handle joins the main rod there is that little cap hole thing, Is that connected/a part of the main pole or is it just floating there or in another layer? If it is connected, would you mind telling me how you achieved this? I tried getting something like this on an earlier model but it never came out very well.

Oedo 808
03-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Iain: Where the back handle joins the main rod there is that little cap hole thing, Is that connected/a part of the main pole or is it just floating there or in another layer? If it is connected, would you mind telling me how you achieved this? I tried getting something like this on an earlier model but it never came out very well.

If you're talking about the welding, Matt did a tut on that here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99509&highlight=welds), not sure if the video link is still live though.

@Sigurd, nice render, your model makes good use of its geometry, I almost always overcook it with the base mesh.

Iain
03-26-2011, 01:39 PM
No the handle isn't connected. It just has a little ring (with 1mm jittered points) around the join to give the impression of a welded joint.

There are various ways to join geometry in situations like this though. Just aligning two polygons of roughly the same size with a gap in between is enough to use the Bridge tool to finish it off.

a sandwhich
03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Ok thanks. Here is a hammer (modeled after the stanley 51-616). Keep one close in case someone decides to break in (such as a few boards and nails). Took 45 min to model because I had trouble getting part of the nail claw subpatched properly. Wish I could use some of my better wood textures, but I don't want to buy ifw2.

Iain
03-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Ok thanks. Here is a hammer. Keep one close in case someone decides to break in. Took 45 min to model because I had trouble getting part of the nail claw subpatched properly. Wish I could use some of my better wood textures, but I don't want to buy ifw2.

Very good modelling.

Wood textures are best done with jpegs. (Procedurals just....suck.:hey:)

jrandom
03-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok thanks. Here is a hammer. Keep one close in case someone decides to break in.

Nice!

I've noticed that some people leave the cage turned on when SubD modeling, whereas the extra visual clutter drives me batty. Is there a functional reason for using the cage guide that I might be missing? (I'd hate to not be using something useful just because I don't properly know what it's really for. :) )

a sandwhich
03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Yes, well, my skills at turning a nice wood jpeg into a wood texture would suck more than just using a procedual preset. My reason for leaving the cage on? Mostly because of laziness, partially because I like the way it looks non-subpatched just as much as it does subpatched.

toddd240
03-27-2011, 08:17 AM
well I am starting to get a little more comfortable with Lightwave. The modeling took about 15 to 20 minutes. Texturing significantly more as I am still in the early process of learning that.

Here is a cheap, plastic home first aid kit.

I used Genetica to create the first aid texture.

XswampyX
03-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Some wires...

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BreakGlassSmokeWired.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BucketnSpongeWired.jpg

jrandom
03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Some wires...

What kind of material did you use on the sponge?

XswampyX
03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
This one?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Sponge.jpg

It's RidgedMultiFractal, with perlin noise.I recon it would make a good bread material.

jrandom
03-27-2011, 11:23 AM
It's RidgedMultiFractal, with perlin noise.I recon it would make a good bread material.

But how did you... is that a volume stack? How many layers?

XswampyX
03-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Have a look. :) It might be a volume stack.... what's that?

jrandom
03-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Yep, volume stack! I haven't played around with those since I made this (http://jrandom.smugmug.com/Art-1/Computer-Generated/12161631_sxA9H#928203005_nD3H4-A-LB).

a sandwhich
03-27-2011, 02:41 PM
The staples easy button. Always there when you need it. Render coming soon.

a sandwhich
03-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Here is the render. Some of the text messed up a little. Modeling took 2 minutes, less then I expected. Turned off the cages for you.

chco2
03-27-2011, 04:10 PM
some nice entries thus far guys! :thumbsup:

sundaynight.. and some spare time :)
40 mins modeling

wire:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/sprinker_wire.jpg

render1:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/sprinkler_2.jpg

render2:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/sprinkler_1.jpg

COBRASoft
03-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Really nice entries guys!

That sprinkler came out nice, well done!

a sandwhich
03-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Nice. All you need now is some water! (and fire?)

JeffrySG
03-27-2011, 10:13 PM
love all of these entries so far!! :D

chco2
03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Gave it a shot :)
Frooze the mesh, but should have made a low poly first for calculations.. took forever :) Ow well.. Didn't bother to render it fully, since it need way more particles for it to look good..

Nice. All you need now is some water! (and fire?)

a sandwhich
03-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Looks fine. You can just say they are traveling at a very slow speed.

jrandom
03-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Looks fine. You can just say they are traveling at a very slow speed.

Or the picture was taken at a high shutter speed. :P

Iain
03-28-2011, 04:12 PM
The button and the sprinkler turned out great!

I currently have an emergency in that I badly need a haircut and my schedule won't allow for it-going around like Jim from Taxi if anyone remembers that.
So anyway, couldn't manage clippers in the hour............

toddd240
03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I think people seem to be stretching the definition of the emergency theme. :D

a sandwhich
03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Speaking of stretching, here's the hitchhikers best friend. Can be used to trick people into letting you borrow something. Modeling <30 sec? Just a little subdivide, jitter, subdivide, jitter, subdivide smooth, subpatch. Fun trick for the eyes: step back across the room after reducing this to 500x500, and it almost looks realistic.

RudySchneider
03-28-2011, 04:52 PM
I think people seem to be stretching the definition of the emergency theme. :D

I assume you're referring to Iain's scissors. Well, think about it...

The first thing hospital emergency personnel do to someone who's been traumatically injured or is suffering a heart attack is to cut open tight or constricting clothing.

... closely followed by application of a_sandwich's washcloth...

.............I'll expect my payment in the mail, guys...

Kuzey
03-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Great to see this still going and great work guys :thumbsup:

Kuzey

MDSPECIFIC
03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Great work guys!:thumbsup:

MDSPECIFIC - That looks great.

Thanks!

sammael
03-29-2011, 08:50 PM

Cool technique, thanks for sharing.

XswampyX
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Glad you found it useful.

In an emergency I would use this.... :hey:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/FireEscape3.jpg

a sandwhich
03-30-2011, 02:47 PM
I haven't seen a sign in that style in years.

Iain
03-30-2011, 02:59 PM
In an emergency I would use this.... :hey:

Late entry-Get your wire in!
Nice render btw :thumbsup:

XswampyX
03-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Phew!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/FireEscapeWired.jpg

Iain
03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Nice! Some great entries and I'll attempt to judge tomorrow.

New challenge is up...........
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1127894#post1127894

Iain
03-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Soooo.............

Oedo808: Beer Goggles. Great poly flow and level of detail. Not seeing all of it in the render but its there.

Chco2 & XswampyX: Alarms. Neat, efficient modelling and a twist that'll register with a lot of people on the one from xsx.

COBRASoft: Screwdriver. Deceptively simple subject that can be tricky to get right.

a.sandwich: horn. Again, deceptively difficult modelling and you managed a very tricky shape with a low polygon count.

Wittywop: Genie lamp. Nice! Just like I remember them from books and films. Very nice lines.

MDSPECIFIC: condom. Great modelling and surfacing. I always like your humourous approach too!

XswampyX: Bucket & sponge. Bucket and sponge look great. There's something a bit odd about the sponge texture(it is more like bread) but I admit its very clever!

a.sandwich: Hammer. Cracking model. Really good mix of rounded and hard edges. Keep it up!

toddd240: First aid kit. Accurate, well observed model and really good texture/render set up.

a.sandwich:East button and cloth. Good subjects (and great work rate!). A bit more time spent aligning the text to the curve on the button and extruding the cloth for thickness would make a difference I think.

Chco2: Sprinkler. Excellent model. It just looks right and all the seams and joins are finished off with a bit of detail. Classy textures too.

XswampyX: Exit sign. Great detail on the cord and chain. Very nice.

But, there has to be a winner and it is..............

Chco2 for his sprinkler. Congratulations CHARLY!!!

Commendations to XswampyX and a.sandwich. Great work guys :thumbsup:

chco2
03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks Iain!

Oww darn.. feel the pressure for the next challenge now :P

Fun thing is.. just saw a thread on people saying the standard presets from lightwave should all be removed. Many times I use them as a basic for a texture. Same with the sprinkler :) That said.. they should be updated though (newtek !!)

COBRASoft
03-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Congrats Charly!

chco2
03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks neighbour :)

Congrats Charly!

a sandwhich
03-31-2011, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't mind the presets being updated, but they shouldn't be removed. My models would look terrible if they were (removed). lol

toddd240
03-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Great job on all the renders guys. Good work.

COBRASoft
04-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Yep, volume stack! I haven't played around with those since I made this (http://jrandom.smugmug.com/Art-1/Computer-Generated/12161631_sxA9H#928203005_nD3H4-A-LB).

Hi, I'm trying to make something similar but fail miserable. Could you help me out? I can't achieve the depth like you guys.

jrandom
04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi, I'm trying to make something similar but fail miserable. Could you help me out? I can't achieve the depth like you guys.

I used a clip mask (fast!) but the sponge relies on transparency which is slower but looks way more awesome.

Create your base shape. This should be 2.5D, meaning it can have height variations but only height variations and no lateral skew (eg. no part of the object should be directly over any other part of the object). Note: This isn't actually a real requirement but for this example it's a good rule to follow.
Use the array tool to create a vertical stack of this shape. The more layers you use and the closer together they are, the better your object will look but it will also be slower to render. If you want your object to be 2cm high, you could create 20 layers 1mm apart, or 200 layers at .1mm apart, depending on the level of detail you want.
I'm horrible with surface layers so I can only describe this next step via nodes: Go into the node editor and wire up a 3D noise texture to your transparency channel. Because the noise is calculated over a 3D volume, each layer in your object will cut through this noise node in 3D space. To really see what this means, I recommend creating a 1cm x 1cm square and make 10 layers 1mm apart. This will give you a 1x1x1cm cube made of 10 layers. After applying the noise texture and rendering you will get a good visual explanation of how stacked layers interact with 3D noise textures.
Create the same 1x1x1 shape as described above, but use 100 layers .1mm apart. Compare this to the 10-layer object and all should be clear. :)
Using a double-sided material will give you better results but slower renders.

MDSPECIFIC
04-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Congratulations chco2!

chco2
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
thanks MD!

SonicN2O
04-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I just finished modeling my toilet plunger... my dad gave me the idea...
posting a wireframe soon.

SonicN2O
04-05-2011, 05:23 PM

SonicN2O
04-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Oops... the contest is over? sorry...

chco2
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Lol Yes,
Next one is up. Give it a go there!
Thanks for joining!