PDA

View Full Version : Wonders of the Universe BBC

colkai
03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Just wondering,
Who did the FX for this series? Anyone here involved?

Some super stuff on it, wondered what was used and such.
Thanks to the overt need these days to tell you all about the next program before they show it, the darned credits roll out squashed and quicker than the eye can follow. :(

kopperdrake
03-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Dunno, but love the programme. Brian Cox certainly comes across as passionate about his subject which has to appeal to the younger generation. Plus it's not as dumbed down as some of the other offerings the BBC has produced (Walking with Dinosaurs anyone?).

Cryonic
03-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't say that Walking with Dinosaurs was "Dumbed Down". More like it was a non-scientific story.

raw-m
03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
I agree, excellent programme, the graphics are lovely - I'm sure the makers are in the credits if you hop onto iPlayer. The travel budget must be exceptional. He seemed to choose the Victoria Falls in deepest Africa as a backdrop to illustrate swimming up a stream.

gordonrobb
03-23-2011, 03:03 AM
It is a superb programme. Boy can he talk about big numbers.

RebelHill
03-23-2011, 05:15 AM
I love Brian Cox, he's fab.

I especially liked a few weeks ago when they had their lil observation special with Dara Obrian co hosting, and they had a lil shrot section talking about various sci fi things, warp speed, lasers in space, etc... and teh expert mentioning a few science facts to debunk the possibilities of such technologies... cut back to the main studio, Brian Cox jumps in... "that's not entirely accurate, some of your debunking needs debunking."

-EsHrA-
03-23-2011, 05:19 AM
science for teh win! :)

colkai
03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Dunno, but love the programme. Brian Cox certainly comes across as passionate about his subject which has to appeal to the younger generation

Not just the younger gen. :p
Me and the missus are the wrong side of 50 but love his stuff.
His passion and continued sense of wonder at science can't help but sweep you along. Some people accuse the program of "dumbing down" but I don't see it myself.
In counter, someone posted this link;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EJ8r9Rhfw8&feature=related

I can feel his pain. :D

wrench
03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
We watched the first episode of this series with our 8-year old son who also thinks he's great and is really interested in science (I'm currently reading him Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" as a bedtime story), but the first episode he spends 45 minutes explaining about entropy and the heat death of the universe and Finn is becoming more and more silent and glum, then he says "You're probably thinking this is all sounding quite depressing..." at which point we think he's going to say something jolly to cheer us up, but he just says "get used to it *****es!" or something similar... ;)

At the end of the programme Finn turned to us and said "well, that will make for happy dreams tonight, won't it?"

B

PS. By the way it was Burrell Durrant Hifle (http://www.bdh.net/) using Maya and After Effects

stiff paper
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Yep.

http://www.bdh.net/our_work/projects/wonders-of-the-universe

kopperdrake
03-23-2011, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't say that Walking with Dinosaurs was "Dumbed Down". More like it was a non-scientific story.

I suppose you may be right - I just felt that Kenneth Branagh's script came across as patronising to older viewers..."I wonder if the wounded blahblahosaur will make it through the night?", as it limped into the distance. I'd far rather have had someone like Richard Attenborough produce a believable, gritty script - it was meant to be a nature documentary style but it came across as something aimed at a very young generation.

colkai
03-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Yep.

http://www.bdh.net/our_work/projects/wonders-of-the-universe

Cheers, stunning stuff, any details of how it was put together and what tools were used?