PDA

View Full Version : Degenerate Polygon....?!?

Hervé
10-02-2003, 02:57 AM
Hey, first time I see that.... in info panel it says for a supposed non-planar polygon flatness limit "degenerate polygon" I looked in the manual, but absolutely nothing.... where do I go from there....

Off course I tripled checked... all the points (15) that makes that poly are absolutely all X values the same... and nothing complex, just a simple wall....

Any idea ?? what to do ..... ? it looks like it is impossible to fix.... ahhhhhhh

Thanks, Hervé

Bigboy
10-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Sometimes the point order is wrong, but it doesn't show. Try trippling it, then unifying it. This some times fixes these ones.

Or, go round the points and build a new poly - just to make sure.

I get this a lot on complex boolean operations.

Elmar Moelzer
10-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Degenerated polygons are usually like 2- point- polygons that have more than 2 points.
You can create one by making a quad and merging two of the points that are on the opposit side.
So if you number them clockwise, merge points 2 and 4 and the result will be a degenerated polygon with 3 points.
The other way they may happen is because LW screwing up in the heat of the battle. It can often help to simply tripple the polygon. If it does not help, delete it(or kill it to keep the points) and rebuild it.
CU
Elmar

omeone
10-02-2003, 03:23 PM
I also get alot of 'em importing CAD files, kill and manually rebuild has been the medicine for me so far.

Hervé
10-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks for sharing guys.... well I dunno the problem.... I killed the polys 10 times and rebuilded it, but nothing... one clue.... when I let one of the 15 points (I mean by that I dont include it in my selection for doing a new poly), then it's fine, and this works ..... the weird thing is I can forget any of the points in the selection, and it will work, that's strange ! Anyway I went with only 14 points to remake that poly and it works... BTW, the rest of the geometry has nothing to do with that, coz I even copied the 15 points to a fresh layer.... and to a fresh new object.... it was no help...

It could be a mystery....

Now if someone wants those 15 points, I'll send them... or maybe I'll post them here...

Later, Thanks a bunch...
Hervé

toby
10-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Maybe you have 2 points in exactly the same place but not wleded. That will give you a degenerate poly when you build it manually. I'm sure we'd all like to see the object, go ahead and post it -

riki
10-03-2003, 03:41 AM
Here ya go

Hervé
10-13-2003, 03:05 AM
Thanks 20 millions Riki, so sorry I did not get back to you.... really good explanation... very clear... and so much work for an *** like me... again forgive me for that Riki... I hope you're not ... well ... faché... (mad _ not sure how to say):confused:

Later, Hervé

( I had a problem with my son now Phil, he started smoking pot...)

riki
10-13-2003, 03:21 AM
Hey that's okay Hervé. Glad to help. :)

Hervé
10-13-2003, 03:26 AM
Thanks Riki, now I do have a question for ya... do you have an alarm when a thread is answered, or do you look each minite on the site.... always soooo fast... you're fast Riki.. and good...

Ciao, Hervé

riki
10-13-2003, 04:56 AM
haha no no I just sit here waiting :)

Seriously though. You can set an option in the Member's Control panel Area to send you an email when someone replys to a thread.

In the old forum it use to send the message to you, which was a better option.