PDA

View Full Version : Simple spline copy/paste points question

raw-m
03-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Create a spline. Select a point and copy/paste so the pasted point is in the same position so I can move it a bit to create my next path.... but, when I paste, the new point isn't selected the point in the spline still is and any moves I do drags the spline out of position leaving the new point behind.

Am I doing something daft!? I want my newly pasted point to be the selection.

evenflcw
03-22-2011, 11:20 AM
You are not doing anything daft. It's rather the workflow design in Modeler that is a bit daft. http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117885 for a PasteAsSelected script or go straight to my page (linky below) to get the Duplicate (copy-past-and-select in one click) script.

raw-m
03-22-2011, 11:36 AM
That's AWESOME!!! I can't believe that thread is only about a week old, thought it might have been a hidden preference built into LW years ago! Many thanks.

Edit; there's a spline tutorial by Lewis at Foundation 3d (http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=39&p2_articleid=142) and it seems like he is using a similar copy/paste/move technique. Wonder how he does it?

jeric_synergy
03-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Normally, you'd paste into another layer.

Anytime you need to manipulate entities that occupy the same space, use a different layer.

I do this so reflexively I had to stop and think about your question, so it comes perfectly naturally to me. I've noticed lately a growing number of queries that show users aren't using the existing capabilities to their full potential: eg insisting on working in shaded modes in LWM when it makes more sense to use wireframe.

raw-m
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi jeric_synergy. Give the script a go, apply it to a shortcut, it's marvellous! For me, copy/pasting from one layer to another and back again really gets on my nerves. This solution, especially for splines, is effortless. In fact, I think we could even do without the dialog popup after duplication - a little notification at that section along the bottom would be better.

evenflcw
03-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Whether the notification shows up in a popup or at the bottom is a user setting for Modeler/Layout. Set your alert level to something lower than it already is. Likely it is at high now.

raw-m
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
It gets better!!! Thanks Dan!

jeric_synergy
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi jeric_synergy. Give the script a go, apply it to a shortcut, it's marvellous! For me, copy/pasting from one layer to another and back again really gets on my nerves. This solution, especially for splines, is effortless. In fact, I think we could even do without the dialog popup after duplication - a little notification at that section along the bottom would be better.
Oh, yes, it's a superior workflow no doubt. We shoulda had it long ago.

I'm just saying that: there's no reason to be stymied by such a little thing, when an awkward workaround exists.

Both "Duplicate" and "PasteAsSelected" are Good Things. :beerchug:

In fact.... (http://3dproj.com/2011/03/22/plugin-of-the-week-evenflcws-duplicate-a-better-way-to-paste/)

E

Niel
03-23-2011, 01:32 AM
That's AWESOME!!! I can't believe that thread is only about a week old, thought it might have been a hidden preference built into LW years ago! Many thanks.

Edit; there's a spline tutorial by Lewis at Foundation 3d (http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=39&p2_articleid=142) and it seems like he is using a similar copy/paste/move technique. Wonder how he does it?

>> On the forum he says he uses "Extender" / shortcut "u".

evenflcw
03-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the honors Jeric. Nice writeup.

meshpig
03-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Normally, you'd paste into another layer.
Anytime you need to manipulate entities that occupy the same space, use a different layer.

... just mirror it slightly instead though haven't tried keying the PAS.ls yet. Would be a toss up between the two for the only available key:)

meshpig
03-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Ah, way cool!! Thanks evenflcw:)

meshpig
03-26-2011, 01:34 AM
... on a mesh too:thumbsup: