PDA

View Full Version : Never ending Surface Camera Baking renders

inakito
03-21-2011, 05:44 PM
The idea sounds super cool but I have found the renders so extremely expensive whenever u using lightwave render instead of fprime and even not outputting big renders... I was wondering why is it taking so long time even with simple uv's and simple geometry, I am simply testing right now, and If there is any existing way to optimize the render times... Also I was wondering what is the best possible workflow as apparently my setting are to high...
I am basically setting up good quality settings for a frame. Then using the same settings to approach the surface camera baking in order to get the best possible results. My thoughts are that if my single frame looks fantastic the whole scene will look as such but I am starting to think my settings are to high...
Cheers!

inakito
03-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Apparently there isnt anyone using this technique or there arent any optimisation tips for surface baking but a computer with lots of cores or a render farm...

GraphXs
03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
I've had issues with it taking forever rendering using surface baking and/or batch baking. I tweak the number of Rays, and the adaptive sampling to help speed things up. I'm perplex on why some take 50x longer than others, but I know turning down the rays/adaptive sampling low seems to help my render times.

TrueArts Batch baking camera is a great way to bake maps, if you do a lot of baking I strongly recommend it.

Danner
03-27-2011, 02:49 PM
I can usually fix it when baking goes into forever times.

It happens a lot, the fix is really weird but it works. In the baking camera properties increase the UV border to somethign ridiculous, like 50, and see if it fixes the render times, if it does then back it down and search for the "sweet spot"

If you don't have any nonplanars or overlapping polygons it should work.