PDA

View Full Version : Lynda.com Release LightWave 10 Essential Training

dablan
03-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi everyone,
a new tutorial series, "LightWave 10 Essential Training" is now available at www.Lynda.com

http://www.lynda.com/tutorial/71924

lardbros
03-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Cool, always enjoyed your tuts Dan! Any more books planned, or is all your training going to be delivered this way? Guess it's cheaper in the long run, and if you're energy/environment conscious, then books are bad. :D

Glad you're still using Lightwave and doing some training! :D

caesar
03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Great product, nice and clear narration (Im Brazilian, so it's important to understand english without captions). For 25 US, it's a no brainer!

And...waiting for a more advanced LW course and CORE !!!!

dablan
03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks!
A new Inside LightWave 10 book is out in about 4 weeks.

This new Lynda.com training is an "essentials" and we are
talking about an advanced and "core"

Silkrooster
03-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Ooh, this is a good way for Lynda.com to get me back as a customer.

hrgiger
03-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks!

So I assume this book probably won't cover much if anything about CORE since it will be sometime before that's released?

cgisoul
03-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks!

Hi Dan,

Miguel's here! Thank you for letting us know. Will definitely get this one too.

Talking about advanced and core?? You just can't miss doing your hardcore tutorials. Love every tut you made/make.
I guess you won't be doing another Lightwave Signature Courseware with this direction.

Looking forward for the new book to arrive!

Just a suggestion, it would be wise to launch CORE tutorial at the same time when CORE v.1 is shipped out all together.
Maybe a deal you and NT can come up with?

Keep it rolling!

ennernst
03-22-2011, 03:25 AM
Hi,

Thank you for all the great tutorials. Another reason for a return to Lynda.com

dablan
03-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks -
note this is an "Essential" training, but the more positive feedback we get, the more views, we'll be able to do an "Advanced." We're leaving the door open for a "Core" training as well. Not sure if it's a new course or added on to this. Time will tell.

As for doing a LightWave 10 Signature Course - it conflicts with my agreements with Lynda.com. If however we don't do a Core video with Lynda, then 3DGarage.com will have it.

lardbros
03-22-2011, 06:26 AM
I'd definitely be more interested in an advanced course... there's a distinct lack of advanced training like the liberty 3d site, but it's brilliant... get on it Dan! :D

realgray
03-22-2011, 09:46 AM
This is fantastic. It should introduce a lot of new people to Lightwave. I hope there are more in the future.

Lewis
03-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Nice to see Dan still doing LW stuff :).

hunter
03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
We have several Lynda subscriptions for our office and definitely want an advanced course. Will let lynda know.
Keep it up Dan.

dablan
03-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys -
Yeah, i use LightWave all the time. Doing some new stuff for United Airlines right now, all in LW. You can see some of it on a new blog I'll be doing regularly at www.pro3dcoalition.com

As for more advanced LW on Lynda from me, just let them know. The more visibility our LW Essentials gets, and the more requests for advanced topics, the more they'll look to do it.

Cheers!

Eagle66
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM

There are enough essentials but NO real advanced-advanced :)
Hm, I don't know if i alone here, but i'am searching LW for VFX advanced online training a long time, but there is NO one out now.

cg-masters.com has offer the first project-based series from sketch to final composite, but its a Rocketship start from a table, hmm nice, but not the workflow of professional VFX CG artists in a real film.

I'am looking for an Online-Series which normaly are offered only in Master Classes at Full Time CG-Schools.

Real CG with Lightwave ..
http://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/0005-04_vid-lin_12_1920x1080.00048.jpg

Breakdown:
http://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/TheEventCrash_breakdown.mp4

This is advanced for me, but to special for Lynda.com i think - the Devil is the Detail :)

Cageman
03-22-2011, 02:03 PM
It is nice to see a place like Lynda.com offering LW-training. :)

cresshead
03-22-2011, 02:31 PM
it's nice to see anywhere offering lightwave training!

lynda.com is a big training place so having lightwave 10 on there is really cool

cgisoul
03-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Thank you Dan.

Yeah I agree too, seeing it in Lynda is definitely opening more doors.
Now we need Digital Tutors (like it or not is not in discussion) to embrace LW and we are "complete".

realgray
03-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Thank you Dan.

Yeah I agree too, seeing it in Lynda is definitely opening more doors.
Now we need Digital Tutors (like it or not is not in discussion) to embrace LW and we are "complete".

That could be difficult considering they are no longer producing Modo tutorials.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/forum/showthread.php?24167-DT-amp-Modo-501-question&p=86499

cgisoul
03-23-2011, 06:42 AM
That could be difficult considering they are no longer producing Modo tutorials.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/forum/showthread.php?24167-DT-amp-Modo-501-question&p=86499

I'm not surprised, with their latest releases.
And by the way, what modo has to do with LW training?? :hey:

I'm sure they are cooking some mudbox tutorials and even more Maya / Max tuts.

realgray
03-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm not surprised, with their latest releases.
And by the way, what modo has to do with LW training?? :hey:

I'm sure they are cooking some mudbox tutorials and even more Maya / Max tuts.

Just seems that they are treated the same in the pecking order of 3d software. Could you imagine a Digital Tutors title "Intro to rendering in Lightwave" by one of the guys involved in Iron Man. Maybe the vfx of sticking cg arrows in live action actors like in 300. Set extensions from the people working on Lost? There are a few names in this forum that could blow away some of the very best Maya training at Digital Tutors with real production techniques from big budget films. I would however completely understand if they didn't want to share their secrets. It just seems interest in Lightwave would skyrocket if more people could see what it can do in the hands of the very best.

cgisoul
03-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Just seems that they are treated the same in the pecking order of 3d software. Could you imagine a Digital Tutors title "Intro to rendering in Lightwave" by one of the guys involved in Iron Man. Maybe the vfx of sticking cg arrows in live action actors like in 300. Set extensions from the people working on Lost? There are a few names in this forum that could blow away some of the very best Maya training at Digital Tutors with real production techniques from big budget films. I would however completely understand if they didn't want to share their secrets. It just seems interest in Lightwave would skyrocket if more people could see what it can do in the hands of the very best.

And I absolutely agree with you on that.
Though, Maya/Max is their golden recipe.

Eagle66
03-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Sorry guys, who really here needs again and again this superficial essential training which explain the GUI and 'Understanding the Surface Editor' :hey:

Not any Lightwave Instructor, Lessons goes to the advanced detailed Techniques as project-based training with Live Action Integration series from sketch to final composite, Visual Effects and LW CG as used in Filmproduktion with all the important details to bring CG-Elements to realism.

LW Master Classes are poor - essential skills for CG Artists made by LW (not Maya, XSI, 3DMax): Lightwave in production environment - who is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC7u0d47MYk

Bring the LW experience to Live now - with extensive Training Series.....
http://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/TheEventCrash_breakdown.mp4

dablan
03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
I certainly wouldn't call the new Essential training on Lynda "superficial."
For all the years I've done books (14 in all, about 10 on LightWave) we specifically cater to the demand. That's not to say there shouldn't be more advanced tutorials - I'm all on board with that. But let me tell you from someone who's traveled the country for years teaching LightWave - it's the basics, the nuts and bolts, that are needed. I've said it before to people - if you're "advanced" you don't need an advanced book. Why do you think you don't see many advanced tutorials and books? Because they don't sell. So while you think the basic training is superficial and not needed, there are often hundreds of others that are thankful something is clearly explained, and they can learn the software from the ground up. Additionally, it's the basic training videos that help drive sales and keep programs going. I know many new users to LightWave, graphic designers that want to add a little 3D or architectural engineers that want the next step - if they only see spot tutorials on "advanced render techniques" that assumes they already know the software, they move on.

There is a market for advanced tutorials - but it's the basics that need to be done first. I've already been talking to my producer at Lynda.com about the next set of LightWave training videos.

:thumbsup:

speismonqui
03-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I've already been talking to my producer at Lynda.com about the next set of LightWave training videos.

Wish you the best with the one already released, hope it turns out more than ok. An advanced training will be very very welcome, I know both the community, and NT will enjoy it.
Good Luck and thanks! :thumbsup:

hazend
03-24-2011, 05:42 AM
This is great news Dan. Many thanks. I'm already working through the course.

caesar
03-24-2011, 05:55 AM
I've already been talking to my producer at Lynda.com about the next set of LightWave training videos.

Cool!

There's something thats good about a "essentials" course from a pro: you see the basics from a pro, a expert point of view. Thats important. Maybe you can see some tool, setting or feature in different way, a new workflow, etc.

BigHache
03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I'd have to agree with Dan on the nuts and bolts. I'm completely self-taught in Lightwave and I know there are things I've missed here and there. Even watching the preview videos from his Essentials series I learned a few things. Just buttons I never pressed or forgot about since reading the manuals, etc., as there are a LOT of buttons in any 3D package.

cresshead
03-24-2011, 10:45 PM
the thing to remember is that there are always a constant stream of new users who want to get into 3d and so you have to make introduction training videos, they help keep sales of lightwave alive afterall and with that you NEED intro training to be with the latest versions such as lightwave 10

Dan does a great job of easing in new users to the world of 3D.

he certainly helped me with his 101 on lightwave 7.0 back in the day, so cheers Dan and onward and upward as they say!

Lor
03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Dan, congratulations, I've always benefitted from your training material and books. Your books got me started!

cg-masters.com has offer the first project-based series from sketch to final composite, but its a Rocketship start from a table, hmm nice, but not the workflow of professional VFX CG artists in a real film.

Eagle66, the Rocketship Project at CG-masters.com is about as real as it gets, without being taken from an actual movie, which would violate NDAs, contracts etc. This is the actual workflow that I and my teams have used on many feature films, TV series and commercials. But I'm always open to hearing suggestions. Let me know what you think is missing. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, maybe you could email me.

Anyway, I know Dan's training has helped many, many artists get started, and helped many more out of a jam. I would expect this material to be up to his usual standard.

lor

Eagle66
03-26-2011, 01:05 PM
General, the Lynda LW 10 Essential training is very good, but superficial for my knowledge about LW.

The Rocketship Project at CG-masters.com is about as real as it gets, without being taken from an actual movie, which would violate NDAs, contracts etc. This is the actual workflow that I and my teams have used on many feature films, TV series and commercials.

Thanks @Lor; Yes it is the actual workflow for feature films -the basic one-, but at them moment it's seems not the detail of realism i need - I'am waiting if the Rocketship Project is finished as hole Project.

But I'm always open to hearing suggestions. Let me know what you think is missing. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, maybe you could email me.

It's a general Issue at Houdini or LW to play together with Live Action in Compositing (Fusion/NUKE) to get the details of CG realism.
Normally you learn this combined stuff at Master Classes in Filmschools.

What i missing: One big, but simple Filmproject Shot Lesson; (Not Modelling but physical accurate environment Light, texture, rendering passes Project organisation, compositing)

Again, I'am not able for example to create such realistic CG-plane integration:

http://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/0005-05_vid-lin_07_1920x1080.00042.jpg

Not 90% realistic - the important details are the last 10% - exclude the dust and smoke in this scene, its an unimportant additional part which is easy, if you know the General Setup for this.

And for this, the workflow is huge difficult as for the "rocket table project" - here is an example of the LW Siggraph Presentation what i looking for:

http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=78

There is a scene called "one-day-Shot" (making of at 5:00min) - this stuff should possible in a Tutorial Serie for advanced LW Users as Master Class :)

Thanks!