PDA

View Full Version : LW10 and XP - Newtek, help please ;)

Pavlov
03-21-2011, 08:01 AM
hi all,
as stated here: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/requirements.php , it seems LW 10 wont support XP.
This is very important for me since i have a Samba server (updated to latest version) and it works nicely with all my XP machines, while all Seven machines have severe autentication/remote desktop/file transfer speed issues. I never loved Vista/Seven, and with these issues i'm going to remove all Seven trash from my machines and downgrade to XP64.
It would be useful for me to hear an official voice about Newtek not supporting XP in the future, and if true, what could happen using LW10 with XP (from "small slowdowns" to "wont work at all", as example).

thanks in advance,
Paolo

wibly wobly
03-21-2011, 08:17 AM
It was working just fine for me a few weeks ago before I upgraded. No idea what it'll be like in the future, namely Core (that was working fine under XP as well).

WilliamVaughan
03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I've been running LW10 on XP64 with no issues at home and in the studio.

Pavlov
03-21-2011, 08:34 AM
ok, at least current LW 10 works. I'm curious about CORE tough.. maybe someone at NT could already know.

thanks,
Paolo

Silkrooster
03-21-2011, 10:14 PM
So far I haven't noticed much of any issues with windows 7. The only thing so far which I consider as minor, is some delays in modeler. But I was able to load a 4 million poly mesh. Which I am just amazed with since my last system was 32 bit with XP. My new system has 6 cores and 16 gig of ram. But I am thinking that the cores are not fully utilized yet. I know the VPR is a CPU hog, but then again this is the first commercial version.

JonW
03-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Running LW on XP 64 bit on 6 boxes with Screamernet. I only fired up Core when I was trying to get LW10 installed as the whole procedure is as clear as mud.

kopperdrake
03-22-2011, 03:53 AM
Running XP64 on an original 8 core Mac Pro in Bootcamp here. I'm not sure I can upgrade this thing to Windows 7, so I really do want to stay with XP64 for a couple of years if I can.

Unless the Mac verson of Core and/or LW10 proves solid enough, complete with the respective plugins :)

Traveler
03-22-2011, 03:59 AM
I very much doubt NT is going to drop support for XP. The userbase is way too big for that.

wrench
03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm pretty sure that LightWave 10 will still run on Windows 98. The only difference is that if you do and you call support you will get the message "only Vista and Win 7" are supported. The tech support folk can't have an example of every single OS over the lifetime of LightWave to check it works. They are equally not saying it *won't* work, just that it's not supported.

B

Nicolas Jordan
03-22-2011, 12:00 PM
XP? That old thing? :D

lardbros
03-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Same for Windows Server 2003, SpeedEdit works on that, and it's never mentioned anywhere, ever... 3ds max works on it too, no real reason it shouldn't... and sure LW does too.

Pavlov
03-22-2011, 12:11 PM
ok - installed XP on both I7 x990 - it runs like a charm.
While i spend the whole yesterday in trying to adjust the messy authentication system in Seven, it took few hours to reinstall my loved XP, set users, permissions and domains and have them run nicely at 2x speed than all other I7 960 (wow).
In my experience, Seven is trash. Network/domain issues, resources hidden into unbelievable places (what was wrong in old Control Panel ? what ?), slower network transfers. I really wonder whats going on at MS.

Paolo

mclarkson
03-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I am currently running LW10 in XP 64-bit. It seems just fine.

I don't think I have CORE?

kopperdrake
03-23-2011, 06:34 PM
When I installed LW10 in XP64, it also installed Core as well. Have you checked the NewTek folder in your Program Files?

mclarkson
03-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Nope. No CORE. Under programs or in the actual file directory.

Could I have done something wrong during install? Modeler/Layout/Hub are all there and working.

???

Silkrooster
03-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Nope. No CORE. Under programs or in the actual file directory.

Could I have done something wrong during install? Modeler/Layout/Hub are all there and working.

???

I beleive it is a seperate install, go to the core forums and find out there.

Silkrooster
03-23-2011, 10:37 PM
As for Lightwave, it should be able to run on any version of windows, since it doesn't really rely on the registry like most programs do. I am sure there are few attachments, but no where near as many as other programs.

mclarkson
03-24-2011, 01:08 AM
I beleive it is a seperate install, go to the core forums and find out there.

There's no CORE install on the DVD I got. Where would I find the CORE forums? I didn't see anything here.

lardbros
03-24-2011, 08:14 AM
They are all here...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116132

mclarkson
03-24-2011, 01:00 PM
mclarkson, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation

:(

This is really quite frustrating. Am I supposed to have this stuff or not? If so, why is there nothing on the disk, no mention in the documentation, etc.?

Silkrooster
03-25-2011, 11:03 PM
:(

This is really quite frustrating. Am I supposed to have this stuff or not? If so, why is there nothing on the disk, no mention in the documentation, etc.?

If you are getting that message, then conteact Newtek customer service to authorize you to access that part of the forum. This is a normal step that everyone has had to go through.

LW_Will
03-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Pavlov, Rule of the Internet: When your Operating System is TEN YEARS OLD, REPLACE IT.

{WinXP, 10 years old this year.}

Come on in the the future, come to Win7... it'll be okay...

;-)

Pavlov
03-27-2011, 02:55 PM
LW will - i would replace it for sure, if there was a valid replacement (not considering Linux or mac ATM).
I speak because i have Seven on my personal workstation and i can grant it's HELL on earth when it comes to some (unsolveable) issues. Main issues are its extremely bad Linux compatibility, network transfer and user/permission management. BTW i tried nearly every trick/hack/registry patch possible but nothing can close the gap.
I'll step back to XP on my WS asap too, unless someone shows me i'm wrong ;)

Paolo

Danner
03-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I have 3 machines I use LW on: XP64, Vista64 home basic, and some flavor of Win7 64 and It works better in Vista than the other two, the most bashed OS in microsof's history is the best one for LW... go figure. (Just turn off nagging security crap and you'll be fine)

Win7 is the worst, LW seems to minimize or switch to other windows when you open a drop down list and freezes for a few seconds using VPR quite often.

Pavlov
03-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Megalodon - you said it all: you have 10 machines;)
With more machines and a server, you need a domain and there fun begins.
If Server is Linux (like mine), everything will be OK but Seven, which behaves like Hoffman in Rain Man. Funny thing is many have my network issues with a Win Server 2003 on server.
Maybe some system experts could isolate the thing... not me ;(

bye
Paolo

Lightwolf
03-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Megalodon - you said it all: you have 10 machines;)
With more machines and a server, you need a domain and there fun begins.

Actually, you don't necessarily need a domain... it does certainly make things easier though, especially once it comes to account management.

Cheers,
Mike

Pavlov
03-27-2011, 06:11 PM
well... in my case i needed since i had to manage different kinds of access for every account. The Linux guy who helps me (i'm a linux noob) told a domain is needed for this - isnt it ?

Paolo

lardbros
03-28-2011, 05:40 AM
We're having probs with Win 7 at work on our domain. All installs work fine when disconnected from the domain, but Autodesk installers fail upon connecting to the domain.... disconnect and they still won't work... with full admin rights etc. If the machine was NEVER connected to the domain, then Autodesk installers will work fine. We've tried contacting Microsoft, and Autodesk to figure out the issue, but no luck so far. Something to do with it's applocker, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack!

Win 7 at home is fine for me though!

Pavlov
03-28-2011, 06:47 AM
yes, that kind of issues.
The ones which make you curse and lose days of work. So, until i find a tech wizard able to solve these issues (i would not be sure everything would be fine, tough... on tech forums i read of people who were able to se everything but then they get a random trust mismatch, which means that one beautiful morning Seven can suddently refuse to connect to network), i find downgrading a much faster and reliable solution ;)

Paolo