PDA

View Full Version : Problem loading LW9.6 scenes with LW10

tuomas
03-21-2011, 03:58 AM
Hi

I've run into a serious problem with LW10 while running on XP64. Whenever I try to load a scene saved in LW9.6 the Lens Focal Lenght and Frame values on the camera are reset to zero. No amount of tweaking the values fix the problem.

Weird thing is that the problem only occurs on XP64; Windows 7 machines work fine. I've tried installing every single update available for XP64 but so far nothing has helped and I've ran out of options.

Anyone else run into this?

I've attached an image to illustrate the problem.

Matt
03-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Have passed this to development to see if we can confirm this. I don't have XP here, so I can't test it.

The comma in the Focal Length numeric entry box makes me wonder if that might be a problem. It should be a .

Phil
03-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Localisation issue? As far as I know, Sweden uses ',' instead of '.' (like Germany)

Does the issue go away if you use an english locale (or switch the decimal symbol to '.' under 'Regional and Language Options / Customize' in the control panel)?

tuomas
03-21-2011, 05:07 AM
Thanks, that's actually it. Changing the decimal symbol from the finnish comma to the english period through Windows regional options fixes the problem.

Would be nice to have it fixed in 10.1 though :)

Phil
03-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Thanks, that's actually it. Changing the decimal symbol from the finnish comma to the english period through Windows regional options fixes the problem.

Would be nice to have it fixed in 10.1 though :)

Heh. If NT can fix it, they'd outdo Microsoft. After decades, they still don't have functional CSV import in Office if you have the decimal symbol set to ','. It's pathetic.

tuomas
03-21-2011, 05:40 AM
Sigh, with one problem fixed and another appears. Trying to save a F9 render to an image file (any format) crashes LW10 every time. Only on XP64, works fine on Win7.

Real shame if LW10 really is this unstable on XP64, it effectively stops us from switching from LW9.6 in production use.

Phil
03-21-2011, 06:57 AM
That's something I cannot help with. The only suggestion would be to see if the various runtimes are installed (MSVC). Does it crash in both 32 and 64 bit LW?

tuomas
03-21-2011, 07:30 AM
This new problem is limited to one computer with XP64 it seems, so it's local. I'll have to look into it more closely, thanks for all the help.

tuomas
03-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Delved more deeply into the matter and the crash happens on all save dialogs in both Layout and Modeler. Load dialogs are not affected. The problem appears on two machines with XP64 on them, but not on two others with the same configuration. The single Win7 setup I tested works fine as well.

The issue only affects the 64bit Lightwave, the 32bit build has no problems.

Anyone else dealt with this problem?

chco2
09-17-2011, 10:04 AM
If you change your regional setting to have a point "." for the decimal you will not be able to load scenes created when you still had the decimal set to a comma ",". To fix this there's a conversion tool setup. It's online, free and no personal info is needed, it just converts the file. You can find it here :
http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/09/lightwave-scenefile-conversion-tool/
Or for more information (and also the tool itself) you can go here : http://files.designburo.nl/lws_convert/index.php

Temp solution for hopefully a temporary period. Although 1/2 a year is hardly temporary NT :D

Danner
09-17-2011, 10:11 AM
I find it so stupid that the world can't agree if a decimal is represented by a point or a comma.

chco2
09-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Could be worse.. the decimal could start killing people because of its religion :D

I find it so stupid that the world can't agree if a decimal is represented by a point or a comma.

Sensei
09-17-2011, 10:51 AM

First, ask UK to have right hand traffic..
and UK & USA to have metric instead of foots, inches, gallons etc.. ;)

Danner
09-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes those two things also bring out the angry old man in me... (fanatics and the stupid "imperial" measuring system) but don't get me started.

stiff paper
09-18-2011, 03:59 AM
First, ask UK to have right hand traffic..

Overwhelmingly more people are right handed rather than left handed. This means that for most people, the right hand is much, much better for accurate movements and accurate physical control of things.

Given how dangerous a car can be, it is obvious that drivers should control where their cars are going with their "best" hand. Changing gear, fiddling with the CD player, adjusting the heater/AC and other such fiddling things should be left to the secondary hand.

The U.K. is the only place that does this correctly. Whether you like the idea or not, countries that choose to drive on the right hand side of the road have no sane justification whatsoever for doing so.

Somebody did at least think about this in the UK and there is at least a reason for driving on the left side.

chco2
09-18-2011, 04:06 AM
This is getting way to off topic and silly.

Overwhelmingly more people are right handed rather than left handed. This means that for most people, the right hand is much, much better for accurate movements and accurate physical control of things.

Given how dangerous a car can be, it is obvious that drivers should control where their cars are going with their "best" hand. Changing gear, fiddling with the CD player, adjusting the heater/AC and other such fiddling things should be left to the secondary hand.

The U.K. is the only place that does this correctly. Whether you like the idea or not, countries that choose to drive on the right hand side of the road have no sane justification whatsoever for doing so.

Somebody did at least think about this in the UK and there is at least a reason for driving on the left side.

Sensei
09-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Left/right-hand traffic have much longer history than cars. Romans 2000+ years ago were driving all on left side. It has been changed just a couple hundred years ago, but before the first car appeared on road. And now most of world is driving on right side. If UK and Australia would turn to right side driving, it would save a lot of money designing and producing the all cars in two configurations. There could be even introduced world wide driver license, one unique software for whole world for testing drivers.
I don't agree with you that secondary hand should be changing gears- this operation needs precision. Actually I were driving both left and right-handed wheel cars. And felt much less comfortable with wheel on right.. (I am right handed person). Changing gear left hand is such awkward!

alexs3d
09-21-2011, 01:30 AM
come on newtek, PLEASE FIX this bug, it should not be that we have to change our region settings to work properly with an application, i never had this issue in my life with an application !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i like working with lightwave, but this is a nogo !!!

i cannot load old scenes, i cannot load scenes from animeeple, i cannot ..., i cannot ...

sorry, but that must be said :(

chco2
09-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Alex use the webpage posted on the first page. At least for the time being you can load your old scenes that way.

alexs3d
09-21-2011, 03:36 AM
Alex use the webpage posted on the first page. At least for the time being you can load your old scenes that way.

yes thanks, i now that :thumbsup: , i also no how to fix it in my region options...

...but this should not be the workflow for an 3d app to work properly.

Sensei
09-21-2011, 03:37 AM
Write bug report...
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/

alexs3d
09-21-2011, 03:49 AM
they sould be aware of the bug, reportet 1000 times :) since 10.1, but i will do...

Sensei
09-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Where and when reported? Never heard of this bug until this thread...

alexs3d
09-21-2011, 06:00 AM
hardcore forum...

chco2
09-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Yup its reported and known with NT since 10.0 Think last week filed another report including a video demonstrating it all.