PDA

View Full Version : Escher resemblance / rip off

legomanww
10-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Here's an Escher resemblance that I made today for a school project.

http://members.cox.net/legomanww/polyglot.jpg (147KB)

I know there's a few things I could fix, like the fact that the sugar packets are really thin.

hrgiger
10-02-2003, 01:13 AM
Can you show us a wireframe? I'd like to see how you made the impossible stairs...

starbase1
10-02-2003, 04:57 AM
VERY good!

I have this really odd idea - how about adding some reflection to the surface of the trick object? It would probably just show the trick, but if it didn't, that would look even cooler...

Nick

legomanww
10-02-2003, 07:20 AM
Thanks.

I'll post a few wireframes and screenshots of the location of the camera when I get a chance, should be too long.

I would have played around a lot more with the surface of the object, and maybe add reflection to it. I may add reflection to see how it looks. Thanks for the idea. I don't think it will mess up the trick because I added a few things to make sure it still worked. It will be in the screenshots.

legomanww
10-02-2003, 08:12 AM
Here's a screen shot.

The red pillar segments are invisible to the camera, but visible to rays. They put the slight shadow on the last segments. I think another pillar segment would have produced a better effect.

http://members.cox.net/legomanww/screen.jpg (120KB)

johnnyh66
10-02-2003, 10:23 AM
good job... nice problem solving.
What type of work do you want to get into after you grad.?

legomanww
10-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks

I'm thinking I'm going to try it with a circular staircase next.

Well, I'm in high school still, and going to go to college next. Probably for engineering, not sure what kind though.

spinn
10-05-2003, 01:23 PM
great! im a big mc escher fan! he has an eye for perspective that is just amazing. ever seen his selfportrait in the reflective ball, and those "gravityworks" or what they are called? mindblowing.

like your model. one question: can you texture it? i'd guess that would be KINDA tricky.

anyway if you model and animate T.H.E. waterfall, i'll worship you for the rest of my life :)
http://www.enricozimuel.net/img/escher/lw439f14.jpg
cheers

ruud
10-06-2003, 08:04 AM
Actually it has been animated. Even with a camera rotation around it. I saw it here in the Netherlands in a museum. AND! it's been made with LIGHTWAVE!

It didn't seem too difficult once I saw the construction... Think about... Depth :) From one point of view it looks like the drawing you have. But from every other perspective... I'ts just a normal waterfall, and! The water isn't connected to eachother, it just seems like it from this angle

:)

Greetz! and worship the Dutch people :)

legomanww
10-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks

hmmm... texture, what kind of textures are we talking here? I could try making it out of brick, that might look neat, I'll try that when I get a chance.

I have seen the self portrait with the ball, I think it's great. I don't know exactly what the other one is you are talking about.

I think that these things are pretty easy to make, at least the simpler ones like the stairs and the waterfall one. You just have to make it the way it appears in 3, how it would in reality go and not touch the other part and then just put the camera in a position that it looks like it does, ortho. Just need to look at it carefully.

richpr
10-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Yes, I saw that Escher exposition in Rotterdam as well. It was pretty neat to see that animated...