PDA

View Full Version : Copy weightmaps from one model to another?

Algae998
03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Basically I've got a corrupt model file that wont deform properly. The model appears to be ignoring all weightmaps that Ive created and I have even tried using no weightmaps, trying to use just the bone influences, but still get horrific deformations. I've tried everything I can think of and the only idea I have left is to redo the mesh.
My plan is to remesh the model in Zbrush with zspheres by selecting the geometry of the model and making a new mesh out of that so every point would be in the same place as the original. The only issue I come across is I cant figure out how to copy the weightmaps to the new model. The model is extremely dense and took a long time to do so if there is an easy way or plugin available, that would make my day.
Is this possible?
Thanks in advance!

nickdigital
03-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Try Weighter.
http://earthwormjim.free.fr/lscript/modeler/weighter2/manual/index.html

Algae998
03-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Looks like it could work, but the link to the beta download is broken. Ill keep searching.

nickdigital
03-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Oh, try this one.
http://www.alesk.fr/lscript/weighter2/

Just a FYI it's all in this thread:
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105088

I scrolled to the end of the thread for the latest info.

Algae998
03-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Actually I stumbled across the working link just a couple minutes after my post..guess I shouldnt have jumped the gun. Im testing the plugin now, fingers crossed!
Thanks for the link.

Algae998
03-18-2011, 11:02 PM
I guess the beta version needs to be registered and/or bought. The unregistered version maxes out at 100 vertices..nowheres close to my 65k model. Ill read up more on the thread, hopefully I can come up with something.

Mr Rid
03-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Shouldnt be a limit. I just tried Weighter2 yesterday, but it was going to take about 15 hours on a 100k poly mesh with 60 weights. Alexx said he would take a look at a way to maybe speed it up. I dont know how much of the slow down was due to the amount of polys or maps in my case.

RebelHill
03-19-2011, 04:07 AM
try drainbgvmaps... its on mike greens site I think. Ive had good success with that. Note also, ive rather poor success getting very dense models to deform at all well in LW... getting as low poly as possible is def the way to go.

Algae998
03-19-2011, 08:12 AM
It was taking a long time to calculate as well. I didnt get far using the plugin but I hid everything except for the weightmaped area and it didnt take as long. I fully agree about low poly meshes, if this wasnt such a high poly model I wouldnt mind redoing the weight maps. It took almost a full day of airbrushing and using the combine weights plugin (really handy plugin!).
Thanks for all the responses, Ill take a look at the other plugin as well.

Algae998
03-19-2011, 08:46 AM
It looks like DrainBGVMap is doing the trick..and really fast! It transfered all the weight maps in matter of seconds once I got the distance value dialed in. Thanks again, looks like this should work pretty well!